Jay Bilas just called out the refs

Look folks ..KY played better were more physical inside ... sure the game was physical and the number of fouls against us was lopsided ... and I will admit they way bodies were flying around and then they call a couple nit picky fouls on Turner .. hard to explain that .. but anyway ..KY shot 54 percect - beat us bad on boards ..let the Hero kid stand in the lane and get straight rebounds with Fulkerson and Schofield there and they didnt even get off the ground .. effort for rebounds was difference ..and Alexander is soft in these games ... he gets pushed around and was a non factor against their bigs ... Grant looked very tired even in 1st half wasnt working to get ball down low like normal ..I still think something up with him ..maybe been sick or ?? but for him to only get 4 shots they didnt good job of defending him ..and the real BIG reason we lost is settling for 3's ..... Schofield, Bowden and Turner combine for 1 for 15 from 3 point line .. thats it all in a nutshell .. hopefully game is officiated more closely here ..cause KY has alot more size than we do with TRavis , Washington and Richards inside ... out 6'5 and 6'6 guys just couldnt play that physical with them .. .and our bigs Alexander , Fulkerson and Walker are soft inside ... especially Fulkerson ..he was lost and did nothing ... as well as Alexander ... Ky is avery good defensive team ..they got hands on alot of passes .. Ky had more rebounds , more offensive rebounds , more assists , more steals , 6 blocks to our 1 ... we actually won the turnover battle 11- 9 ... but thye shot 55 percent and we shot 41 percent ... we shot 25 = 3 pointers and they shot 13 and they made alsmost as many as we did ... fact is officials didnt loose this game .. Barnes I bet never mentioned officials in post game ... so quit whinning and get better ... KY played better ... and get this they were favored to win this game .............. facts

“Quit whining, and get better”? No.1 in the country, program records for winning, top 10 in the country in many categories. Yet you think that we are not good enough? Not getting ANY calls for us until the game was out of hand is what caused this loss! It’s not like you can say KY played perfectly, because of the bodies flying everywhere! This was a make up game of epic proportions! It makes me want to never watch basketball again!

I would agree, however we may have had a chance to win. With the calls being made as they were, we did not stand a chance. As an example; at 14:53 in 2nd, KY player pushes the TN player in back to where the TN player almost falls down. Foul on the TN player. I have marked several of these..... not that it makes any difference.

I pointed out earlier at 19:15 of the first half Washington pushed Admiral to the ground for a rebound. Should have been his second foul in the first minute!

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Refs were a travesty. The Vols did not adjust or respond correctly. The refs suck in Lexington. They will suck in Baton Rouge and Auburn, as well. Beat Ole Miss, MSU, and the rest of the schedule. Finish healthy, and get hot at tourney time. We should still be at least #2 in the East. Maybe #1, if we can manage a win vs UK, in Knoxville, somehow. If we do this, and beat UK, we should get a #1 or #2 seed, in the Big Dance.
But, until we learn to guard the perimeter, and get on the damn boards, we will finish #2 in the East, and lose again, in the SEC tourney. Sweet 16 will be the ceiling for this team.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
But literally, you should perhaps take a look at the stat sheet. Kentucky dominated the game in most of the other facets. Your boys laid a turd. It happens. The important thing is they get up and play the next game.

You guys needed it badly,. I can only imagine the meltdown of losing back to back in Rupp on tops 2 in a row to the vols in Rupp. Couple that with the fact that arguably the worst football team in the long history of Tennessee football just beat the best team in the history of UK football this past season. Disaster avoided. lol

The tone of this game was set early. KY can play as physical as they want, but TN better not touch them! Fouls started 9-2 in favor KY first half, 8-3 in the second again favoring KY. The GS Warriors couldn’t have won there last night.

Reactions: allvol123
Refs were a travesty. The Vols did not adjust or respond correctly. The refs suck in Lexington. They will suck in Baton Rouge and Auburn, as well. Beat Ole Miss, MSU, and the rest of the schedule. Finish healthy, and get hot at tourney time. We should still be at least #2 in the East. Maybe #1, if we can manage a win vs UK, in Knoxville, somehow. If we do this, and beat UK, we should get a #1 or #2 seed, in the Big Dance.
But, until we learn to guard the perimeter, and get on the damn boards, we will finish #2 in the East, and lose again, in the SEC tourney. Sweet 16 will be the ceiling for this team.

We DEFINITELY take KY here! In a fairly called game their best player spends most of the first half on the bench. How do you think that game goes without Washington for most of the first? When they come here all the no calls on them will get called! Let’s see how they adjust to not being allowed to mug us all night!

Just how many times this season have Tennessee Players Hit The Floor attempting to run their offense? Alexander, Williams, and Admiral got hit, hooked, thrown down, pulled down; NO CALLS! Bull ffin chit

Where is Grant’s superstar protection? Almost every POY gets the whistles. He is top ten in the country drawing fouls at almost 9 a game. Yet last night he got hammered for most of the game, and drew what 3 fouls?

Reactions: TennMan101
yea basketball can be physical, but this was blatant. most likely they told the refs their game plan and told them to lay off the fouls...about as crooked as pro ball, if not more
And what I don't understand is why UK is a media darling. It's the University of freaking Kentucky!?! Yes, they have an elite coach, that's it! Hopefully CRB can land an amazing '20 class, which is very possible, and we can start becoming the new UK, except better. IDK why people would even want to watch a team that has players for 1 year and then they're gone?

And what I don't understand is why UK is a media darling. It's the University of freaking Kentucky!?! Yes, they have an elite coach, that's it! Hopefully CRB can land an amazing '20 class, which is very possible, and we can start becoming the new UK, except better. IDK why people would even want to watch a team that has players for 1 year and then they're gone?

Elite at cheating maybe! The only reason he’s still at KY is because the AA won’t truly investigate there. Look at his past stops. He always leaves right before that school gets hit with major violations, and has to vacate his wins.

Here's officiating in basketball for as long as I've been watching. If you play UK, Kansas, or UNC... then prepare for an 8 on 5 game. Those three teams ALWAYS get favorable officiating and probably always will
My point is, why? None of those programs are Elite in anything. Kentucky, for whatever reason, has had a good bball team for quite some time, but other than that, there's nothing special about any of them. I want to see what happens once Calipari retires and his replacement comes in. Will it be like our beloved Lady Vols, or will they sustain the dominance? My point is, other than Calipari, there's no reason for an elite Prospect to go to any of those schools, Imo.

If you are going to play at Kentucky you need a helmet and shoulder pads. It is one thing to lose by being outplayed but not with the help of the referees. That was about as poorly an officiated game I have seen in a long time and was obvious! Touch fouls were called on Tennessee and knock downs by Kentucky were not. How many times was Williams knocked to the floor especially in the first half??? Calamari is a first class" Jerk" and always has been. He is in the category as the Conn. women's coach!!! They were not going to let Kentucky lose 2 straight at home, Period!!!!
Go Vols!!!

Reactions: vols1221
My point is, why? None of those programs are Elite in anything. Kentucky, for whatever reason, has had a good bball team for quite some time, but other than that, there's nothing special about any of them. I want to see what happens once Calipari retires and his replacement comes in. Will it be like our beloved Lady Vols, or will they sustain the dominance? My point is, other than Calipari, there's no reason for an elite Prospect to go to any of those schools, Imo.

LOL. You must be a young Puppy and Wet behind the Ears....Might as well throw Duke onto that List.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
LOL. You must be a young Puppy and Wet behind the Ears....Might as well throw Duke onto that List.
Duke was running through my mind when I posted. The same applies to them. I know they are "basketball schools" but why would refs cheat to keep them at the top? Also, I'm 34 and have never understood why UK has always gotten the preferential treatment. Ashley Judd, maybe? Lol

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
There program has History x5. Rupp, JB Hall, Sutton, Smith, even a Drunk throw it, Duke Rivalry, Its been established for years and the players. Tennessee vs Kentucky rivalry we were the only team that seem to keep them in check. I still think we have the most Wins against them @ 71. I don't think another team is close. We are 71-152

Last edited:
Honest assessment: doubt we win this one regardless of the refs. Time to regroup and let this be a learning experience for us. Go Vols.

No doubt.
The refs didn’t help Tennessee for sure; however KY played better than they are. Tennessee played much worse than they are. I would not put too much stock into this one game........ if it happens again, then worry.

Gonzaga lost by double digits to UNC
Duke lost to Syracuse
Virginia lost by double to Duke
KY lost by 100 to Duke and lost to Seton Hall
Michigan lost by double to Wisc and lost to P St

All have had bad games....... it was bound to happen to Tennessee as well.

Don't think so. Duke gets screwed as much as anyone when they play UNC. It is really kind of weird that UNC gets that kind of favoritism.

The "automatic" types of fouls just don't seem to count with them. With everyone else, if a player slaps the ball in a particular way... it is called a foul without regard to contact. With those teams, the contact has to be obvious and sometimes it isn't called even when it is.

I've been watching the same thing for more than 30 years. Always the same.

Not sure I agree with that. When the refs make it clear early in the game that KY players can beat the H out of UT players, but the Vols will get called for barely touching a KY player, which is what happened, it has to have an emotional impact on the Vol players. They began being overly careful to not be very physical, whereas KY continued to beat up on the Vols. I think there were 9 UT fouls to 4 for KY at halftime, and 3 of the KY fouls came late in the half. While the specific foul calls may not have changed the outcome, they created a mindset for both teams that affected their play. I hope Barnes tells the SEC that he will not accept this group of officials to ever call a Tennessee game again. They should be fired, but that probably will not happen.
Totally agree!!

When Tennessee realized it was a physical game, they should have responded. They didn't.

Couldn't. Watch how fouls were dispersed to start the first and second halves. Does not matter if totals fouls are similar for 2 teams at the end of a game, a game can be tilted in favor of one team based on timing of fouls.

Couldn't. Watch how fouls were dispersed to start the first and second halves. Does not matter if totals fouls are similar for 2 teams at the end of a game, a game can be tilted in favor of one team based on timing of fouls.

This is exactly what I saw. KY kept mugging us! How many over the back rebounds did they get? How many times did our shooters get hit in the act? Kyle picked up his 5th while clearly being fouled himself! Even the announcers called that out. It makes me sick that this can happen in today’s game!

It's not gonna change anything no.

I dont agree with the last part. That varies like the weather which my biggest beef with officiating.

Heck, the consistency between the halves tonite was terrible.

Did you know that Barnes is on the NCCA rules committee for this season? I didn’t but last nights game got me digging some and I found this.

The NCAA knows they have a problem with officiating take a look at page nine of the rule book.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf

VN Store

Back