Jay Bilas just called out the refs

Unfortunately in college basketball you sometimes have to play against the refs too. Tonight we had a lot of issues. Didn’t need the refs to be one of them
If you break down the game into segments.

Early (most of the first half)- UT didnt play well but hung around during a "UFC fight" ( as Bilas described it) that was officiated in a similar manor.

First part of the second half - UT played it's worse basketball of the season and got run to the tune of an 18 point swing.

For about 5 mins after that - UT settled in, defended, got better looks, made more shots and got back within swinging distance.

They ran out of gas and UK finding the bonus 6 mins into a "fight" was too much to overcome.

It was a mugging in Rupp plain and simple. UT won’t go very far in the NCAAT until they are better at handing the physical play. The only player that didn’t seem to be affected by it tonight was The Admiral, he seems to like it better when it’s a physical game, but Williams and Alexander struggled with the physical contact. UT has to expect to be mugged by teams from now on.

What I find absolutely hilarious and very questionable about the officiating was that Kentucky had no defensive fouls until 3 minutes left in the first half. The first and only foul on Kentucky in a the first 17 minutes of the game was a charge on the first possession.

This should be a talking point for any vol fan. No team we have played all year has went 17 minutes without committing a defensive foul against us.

Is this the reason we lost? No. Did this help? No. You can’t miss as many wide open shots as UT did tonight and expect to win.

JJ and Pons should have played more tonight as Turner can’t deal with length on the defensive end and he wasn’t making shots.

Also, I expect someone to give 22 for Kentucky a shot in this next game and I would do it on the first play of the game. He was Bill Laimbeer tonight.

Bowden and Turner should be ashamed of themselves tonight. Neither did anything tonight. No offense and certainly no defense. Weak minded and no effort.
Gtf outta here. Both had off nights shooting, it happens.

Look folks ..KY played better were more physical inside ... sure the game was physical and the number of fouls against us was lopsided ... and I will admit they way bodies were flying around and then they call a couple nit picky fouls on Turner .. hard to explain that .. but anyway ..KY shot 54 percect - beat us bad on boards ..let the Hero kid stand in the lane and get straight rebounds with Fulkerson and Schofield there and they didnt even get off the ground .. effort for rebounds was difference ..and Alexander is soft in these games ... he gets pushed around and was a non factor against their bigs ... Grant looked very tired even in 1st half wasnt working to get ball down low like normal ..I still think something up with him ..maybe been sick or ?? but for him to only get 4 shots they didnt good job of defending him ..and the real BIG reason we lost is settling for 3's ..... Schofield, Bowden and Turner combine for 1 for 15 from 3 point line .. thats it all in a nutshell .. hopefully game is officiated more closely here ..cause KY has alot more size than we do with TRavis , Washington and Richards inside ... out 6'5 and 6'6 guys just couldnt play that physical with them .. .and our bigs Alexander , Fulkerson and Walker are soft inside ... especially Fulkerson ..he was lost and did nothing ... as well as Alexander ... Ky is avery good defensive team ..they got hands on alot of passes .. Ky had more rebounds , more offensive rebounds , more assists , more steals , 6 blocks to our 1 ... we actually won the turnover battle 11- 9 ... but thye shot 55 percent and we shot 41 percent ... we shot 25 = 3 pointers and they shot 13 and they made alsmost as many as we did ... fact is officials didnt loose this game .. Barnes I bet never mentioned officials in post game ... so quit whinning and get better ... KY played better ... and get this they were favored to win this game .............. facts

1yv6fb.jpg

vengeance-no-just.jpg

Mar. 2, 2019

Reactions: OneVolNation
Officiating was not up to par, but we need to learn from this and go on a long winning streak again.
We sure don’t need to let Ky beat us again on Tuesday night.. Get focused to beat Vandy

Reactions: OneVolNation
Biggest story about the officiating is this game was called like an NCAA tourney game in the first half.

Neither team got to the bonus and like it or not that's the way many NCAA tourney games are called.

Maybe that game prepared us for needing to generate points without getting to the free throw line because the NCAA tourney will
Be like that

Biggest story about the officiating is this game was called like an NCAA tourney game in the first half.

Neither team got to the bonus and like it or not that's the way many NCAA tourney games are called.

Maybe that game prepared us for needing to generate points without getting to the free throw line because the NCAA tourney will
Be like that
I watch a ton of basketball, especially NCAAT, and I’m not sure I have ever seen a game that physical...especially the first 10 minutes. That’s not blaming the refs at all, I’m simply saying that Kentucky clearly came out wanting to send a message and they were allowed to, our guys took entirely too long to respond to it and it pretty much set the tone.

I can almost guarantee that this 1 loss will mean we won't be ranked #1 again this season. Not because we won't be deserving of #1, but because of the obvious other reasons. Even if we beat LSU, Kentucky, and our other opponents, it looks like ESPN will get their wish with Duke as #1 heading into the tourney.
Did you say this after Duke dropped a game to a trash Syracuse team?

Reactions: feathersax
I watch a ton of basketball, especially NCAAT, and I’m not sure I have ever seen a game that physical...especially the first 10 minutes. That’s not blaming the refs at all, I’m simply saying that Kentucky clearly came out wanting to send a message and they were allowed to, our guys took entirely too long to respond to it and it pretty much set the tone.

It was very physical but many many NCAA tourney games turn into sluggfest as well.

Thought this was interesting. Found out who called the game last night and found this website.

Kentucky's Record with Officials

Does Tennessee do a website like this????

Officials for last night Lee Cassell, Ron Groover, Doug Sirmons

We got our butts handed to us last night and there is no doubt about it. They set the tone of physical basketball we did not respond and these three let it get beyond the threshold early which shaped the game.

We still lose but the point difference would have been less. TIFWIW

I'm a bit of a hot head and Barnes is far too classy for this but I would start Walker next game and first play make him set a pick on PJ Washington and lay his ass out

Reactions: vols1221
Honest assessment: doubt we win this one regardless of the refs. Time to regroup and let this be a learning experience for us. Go Vols.
I would agree, however we may have had a chance to win. With the calls being made as they were, we did not stand a chance. As an example; at 14:53 in 2nd, KY player pushes the TN player in back to where the TN player almost falls down. Foul on the TN player. I have marked several of these..... not that it makes any difference.

Reactions: vols1221

VN Store

Back