Jalen Johnson enters transfer portal

Outside of a post player their starting 5 will be decent considering all they lost. Maybe they’ll get Haarms 😏

Awesome, happy for him. Wonder if he’ll be eligible immediately? Barnes will definitely help if possible.

I don't really see him being an impact player anywhere but Forbes is a good coach and hopefully can bring him out of his shell.

I don't really see him being an impact player anywhere but Forbes is a good coach and hopefully can bring him out of his shell.

His role at UT was different for him. Instead of looking to score, when he got minutes in his first 2 years he was expected to get the ball into Admiral's and Grant's hands. He looked to score more often as a junior, but his minutes were usually limited. I think that he's in a good situation at ETSU and can be an alpha dog on offense. Depending on what other scorers they might or might not have, I'd bet he averages over 15 PPG at ETSU.

His role at UT was different for him. Instead of looking to score, when he got minutes in his first 2 years he was expected to get the ball into Admiral's and Grant's hands. He looked to score more often as a junior, but his minutes were usually limited. I think that he's in a good situation at ETSU and can be an alpha dog on offense. Depending on what other scorers they might or might not have, I'd bet he averages over 15 PPG at ETSU.
I bet he doesn't score 15 points in a game more than a handful of times. He's a spot up shooter at best.

Reactions: golfballs
Lol 15 ppg. He won’t even score 15 in a game 10 times all he can do is shoot, and he’s not even that great at that.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So when he drove the baseline or slipped behind the defense for alley-oop dunks he was spotting up? You're pouring some weak sauce.
Whatever you say. If you think he's talented at creating his own shot off penetration then you're the one pouring and drinking the weak sauce.

What? Spot up shooter? He isnt a shooter. He is a "dirty work" kind of guy who grabs boards and plays scrappy D.
Lol, nothing scrappy about him. Watch the tape, he could go the entire game and never touch another player. Nothing scrappy or physical about him, not in a Vols uniform anyway.

12-14 pts average

Book it
No chance. His shot is mediocre, he doesn't penetrate well and he's not physical at all. I bet he goes at least 10 games next year scoring less than 5 points. He's going to have to put up close to 20/game in his other 20 games to have a high average. He's not capable of that I feel.

Guys like Alonzo Johnson, Ed Gray, Vegas Davis, Harris Walker, Terrence Woods, and Elgrace Wilborn? Lol.

Harris Walker should have been a really good PG. His ball handling skills were very good, even as a freshman. Woods was a sharp shooter. They probably made decisions on their own that got them out of UT, but Jerry Green probably didn’t help.

I played a pick up game one day with Vegas Davis. I used to play at the bubble all of the time around my sophomore year (not even sure it’s still there). I threw a lob to Vegas on a fast break, and he laid it in. He turned back to me and said, “I didn’t expect that.” I didn’t understand why because he could jump out of the gym and was on my team.

I also played against Jenis Grinstaff one day, and he could shoot from anywhere. Those dudes may look average against other D1 players, but they are unreal against Joe’s off the street.

Last edited:
Reactions: gainesvol82
No chance. His shot is mediocre, he doesn't penetrate well and he's not physical at all. I bet he goes at least 10 games next year scoring less than 5 points. He's going to have to put up close to 20/game in his other 20 games to have a high average. He's not capable of that I feel.

Be very carful judging a player that leaves a solid program and heads into a mid major.

Check out this guys stats before making the move

JaCorey Williams - Men's Basketball - Middle Tennessee State University Athletics

Whatever you say. If you think he's talented at creating his own shot off penetration then you're the one pouring and drinking the weak sauce.

You need to understand that JJ wasn’t asked to create his own shot off penetration nor are most of our players.
It’s just not Barnes way Of running offense. He runs his offense thru the post and we need to realize that most kids arent coached to create in his offense

Be very carful judging a player that leaves a solid program and heads into a mid major.

Check out this guys stats before making the move

JaCorey Williams - Men's Basketball - Middle Tennessee State University Athletics
I'm well aware that guys can succeed at a lesser level. This guy here you mentioned is basically bigger and stronger than most of the guys that matched up to him. JJ does not have the frame to dominate physically. A good player has his shot and how well he can create his own shot, JJ is just not that consistent at either. He's a good player but he's nothing more than a role guy which he'll likely still be at ETSU.

VN Store

Back