Jalen Hurd cited for underage drinking (will play in bowl)

Do you guys feel Hurd only got cited BECAUSE he was a football player? Do they never cite normal students for the same thing?

If he plays in the bowl game I'm done. This preferred treatment of stars is a stain on the university. If Coach Jones doesn't do the honorable thing and suspend Hurd we have failed as a program.

Reactions: 1 person
If he plays in the bowl game I'm done. This preferred treatment of stars is a stain on the university. If Coach Jones doesn't do the honorable thing and suspend Hurd we have failed as a program.

I lost faith in college athletics when BYU allowed Davies to play again.

Do you guys feel Hurd only got cited BECAUSE he was a football player? Do they never cite normal students for the same thing?

:blink: "Hurd, 18, and Hunter Rivait, who is listed as a student in a university student directory, were arrested by citation on Dec. 3 after police spotted a car with its lights on in a university dorm parking garage."

Link I just viewed gave full report I'll paraphrase as from what I understand a non football player student was sleeping drunk in Jalens car in a parking garage when a cop came up saw the kid passed out, saw the car was registered to Jalen so he calls him to come get his friend Jalen voluntarily told the officer he had been drinking when asked and was issued a citation for underage consumption.

He was not arrested or cuffed or forced to call for a ride home, he simply got a ticket no more than if he wasn't wearing his seat belt while driving. He will play in the bowl game, he is practicing and this is a non issue.

Link I just viewed gave full report I'll paraphrase as from what I understand a non football player student was sleeping drunk in Jalens car in a parking garage when a cop came up saw the kid passed out, saw the car was registered to Jalen so he calls him to come get his friend Jalen voluntarily told the officer he had been drinking when asked and was issued a citation for underage consumption.

He was not arrested or cuffed or forced to call for a ride home, he simply got a ticket no more than if he wasn't wearing his seat belt while driving. He will play in the bowl game, he is practicing and this is a non issue.

He needs an alcohol awareness course before he plays again imo. We can't allow alcohol demons to take over our players, look at what happened to Jim Bob Cooter with drinking, his troubles set the program into a tailspin since 2004.

What?

Trayvon Paulk was accused of hitting a girl and was immediately dismissed from the team.

AJ Johnson and Mike Williams were accused of sexual assault and were almost immediately suspended from the team.

Jalen Hurd had a friend who was passed out drunk in his Jalen's car. The police contacted Jalen, who confessed that he had been drinking earlier when he showed up at the scene and was given a citation for underage drinking. Reports are that the matter/discipline has already been handled by the AD and University and Hurd will play in the bowl game.

If these 3 situstions lead you to believe that our program "has failed" and stained our University to the point that you're checking out as a fan then that's on you and highly illogical imo.

Meh, lots of kids drink underage, not an excuse but there are certainly worse things he could be doing. That said he should be making better decisions.

I haven't drank alcohol in years. I would encourage others to make "better choices" and keep a sober mind.

HOWEVER... 21 as the legal limit for alcohol is absolutely stupid. It is a vestige of the earliest days of the Nanny State. If you can legally be drafted and die to protect the rights and freedoms of your fellow citizens... then it is beyond absurd that you can't legally drink beer.

This isn't a big deal and should not be treated as one... EVER. Train the kid. Try to get them to make different choices for their own health and welfare... but let them breath a little too.

This sounds like a way more credible story that the Tennessean's version. Tennessean ran with something only half way knowing what happened. They must be struggling pretty bad. Terrible.

ANYTHING read in the The Tennessean should be read with a tremendous amount of skepticism imo. I suggest that if you must read something in that rag, that your first question afterward be "I wonder what the truth is?"

I'm disappointed that so many of you encourage underage drinking at an instution thats goal is to create good Christian young men. General Neyland or Pat Summitt wouldn't stand for this laissez faire acceptance of sin.

:thud:All over news in Nashville this morning. I look for CBJ to give him a one game suspension next year. Butch is hard on teaching leadership.:cray:

If the thought even crosses his mind then the man is a complete idiot

Everyone does it, everyone knows the risks. When they get caught they have to accept the punishment. I think it happened on campus, so that may make it a bit more of a problem...

Hope he can stay on the team and WHERE ARE THE HANDLERS FOR THES GUYS?

I'm disappointed that so many of you encourage underage drinking at an instution thats goal is to create good Christian young men. General Neyland or Pat Summitt wouldn't stand for this laissez faire acceptance of sin.

Good grief... I don't have anyone on ignore but you are about to be the first.

VN Store

Back