Jalen Carter lie and coverup attempt

The team/school you work for had just won a national title, was out partying with the players the night after the parade to celebrate the championship, and probably felt invincible.

Ask Gerry Burteir how that worked out...

Last edited:
I'll forgive someone of stupid mistakes, because that's what I believe in. Your mileage may vary.

However, what I won't overlook and forgive is the callous and blatant disregard for others, particularly in this case where it seems Carter was (allegedly) there, (allegedly )saw the incident, and (allegedly) immediately went into self-preservation mode and did nothing to save the lives of his teammates and supposed friends. Couldn't be bothered to call 911 at the very least and certainly couldn't be bothered to stop and render aid. Speaks volumes for the lack of character and the overall decline of society, not just athletics.

He and the idiot from Bama should both in jail. But somehow, both will get rich and never have to experience a day in the life of those whose lives were lost due to their idiotic actions.
I absolutely agree that if Carter witnessed the accident and then apparently did nothing at all to help it looks terrible. There is no reasonable excuse for that. I can’t imagine seeing an accident and not at the very least calling 911 for even complete strangers, much less friends. Not saying it was that way, but if so then wow. I feel like it will likely come out one way or the other in time. If there was criminal wrongdoing, Athens will not look the other way. More likely an example will be made. Just my opinion, who knows?

I absolutely agree that if Carter witnessed the accident and then apparently did nothing at all to help it looks terrible. There is no reasonable excuse for that. I can’t imagine seeing an accident and not at the very least calling 911 for even complete strangers, much less friends. Not saying it was that way, but if so then wow. I feel like it will likely come out one way or the other in time. If there was criminal wrongdoing, Athens will not look the other way. More likely an example will be made. Just my opinion, who knows?

Honestly, I tend to agree. At *any* institution, and with the media (and social media) climate in this day and time, there's a point at which a situation grows beyond the power/management of the AD, its employees, and boosters.

Reactions: SpookyAction
All he needs to do is get padded down before each game by a staff member and he would be fine. Then his coach could say, I’ve never saw that in the press conference after the game. Oh well, Bama and Georgia suck!!

It sounds like Carter made plenty of bad decisions that night, but I'm pretty sure I read there were other people on the scene right away, so it seems likely there were immediate calls to 911. But if Carter was street racing, possibly while intoxicated, it looks terrible anyway and leaving the scene before police arrived adds to that.

Street racing and extreme reckless driving is becoming way too common around the country the last few years and law enforcement doesn't seem to be having much success stopping it. It might be time to increase the penalties to something beyond a misdemeanor, like mandatory jail time and confiscation of vehicle to pay for your incarceration.

Reactions: robed20
Honestly, I tend to agree. At *any* institution, and with the media (and social media) climate in this day and time, there's a point at which a situation grows beyond the power/management of the AD, its employees, and boosters.
Yep, no matter what happened or didn’t happen, this is National news now. It’s grown well beyond the ability of an AD or any University official to keep it quiet and resolve it internally if that is indeed what UGA wanted to do. If Carter did nothing wrong then the university should absolutely stick behind him through this. If he was in the wrong in what ever manner, then UGA should still stick with him, with the advise of taking responsibility and whatever punishment comes with it. It’s altogether a terrible situation, but it could at the very least be a constructive or learning situation for Carter and many others if he indeed did make the wrong decision. Like I said before though, who knows? The truth will likely come out though, as it should.

Reactions: tbh
I
It sounds like Carter made plenty of bad decisions that night, but I'm pretty sure I read there were other people on the scene right away, so it seems likely there were immediate calls to 911. But if Carter was street racing, possibly while intoxicated, it looks terrible anyway and leaving the scene before police arrived adds to that.

Street racing and extreme reckless driving is becoming way too common around the country the last few years and law enforcement doesn't seem to be having much success stopping it. It might be time to increase the penalties to something beyond a misdemeanor, like mandatory jail time and confiscation of vehicle to pay for your incarceration.
I agree, I’m not ready to throw Carter under the bus. Heck, most of us made some terrible decisions at that age. But it certainly needs to be addressed. I didn’t always get punished for my terrible decisions when young, but when I did it certainly got my attention and I learned from it.

I

I agree, I’m not ready to throw Carter under the bus. Heck, most of us made some terrible decisions at that age. But it certainly needs to be addressed. I didn’t always get punished for my terrible decisions when young, but when I did it certainly got my attention and I learned from it.

Agree no reason to throw anyone under the bus.

Yes we all made unwise decision when we were young and immature but none of those reasons means that he should not have to take legal responsibility for his immature actions even if that means jail time. He is actually getting off easy compared to those in the other vehicle that are 6 feet under.

Reactions: 2EastTnVols
Agree no reason to throw anyone under the bus.

Yes we all made unwise decision when we were young and immature but none of those reasons means that he should not have to take legal responsibility for his immature actions even if that means jail time. He is actually getting off easy compared to those in the other vehicle that are 6 feet under.
I agree completely

I agree completely
Adding to the above, and as @DawgInterloper somewhat eluded to, street racing is a very dangerous crime as is reckless driving. If this is proven Carter should face as hard a penalty as allowed by law. Maybe it doesn’t seem fair as others might perhaps get off easier, but in this instance the high profile state of this would set an example that it will not be tolerated. Carter is a great player and can easily overcome this if he handles it properly and he will learn something from it.

My $.02… saw this story in SECRant (I don’t post on that platform).

- Definitely a “bad-look” for Carter. Yes, young folks can do stupid things… but we’re really talking about someone who has been trained to be on (and plans? to remain on) a very public stage. C’mon man… you’ve played and won with the team that just won back-back championships… really?

- Definitely a big problem for UGA/Athletics Department. Let no one overlook the facts that a UGA employee evidently was drag-racing a UGA student athlete at 230A after visiting a strip club and under the influence in a “company car” which resulted in the death of another UGA student athlete and injuries of a UGA student athlete and UGA athletic department employee. I’m sure the UGA athletics department is racing with more than a 700+ horse-power legal team to settle this matter as quickly as possible despite the event probably being a tragic accident between “friends.” Heck, Bobby Petrino’s transgressions don’t seem so bad compared to this event.

- Unfortunately, there are many more tragic stories happening out there more than we can imagine. Hoping our coaching staff can leverage this incident for some goodness… to teach our young VOLS that they can’t do stupid things without regard for consequences or responsibility.

Go VOLS!

If I'm heupel I'm calling a team meeting to discuss this very thing today. One stupid decision can ruin your life or even kill someone as we've seen in the last couple months.
I agree. Actually I’m having this conversation every single day! In my career I saw the results of this behavior many many times. The most common statement over the years…”what could this dude possibly have been thinking?”

There's no statute, AFAIK, that you have to call 911 if you see an accident. Morally? May God gave mercy on him, but I doubt He will.

Financially? Since he'll be pretty well off soon, I'd explore my options but Jalen Carter wasn't driving the car that wrecked and there's no accusation I've seen that he ran them off the road. Did he street race them? It seems he did. Does it take two to street race? It does. Did he force, coerce, intimidate them to race? Good luck proving that.

Morally, he's in need of Jesus. Lying to the cops and street racing, he's in need of a decent attorney.

It's just going to be damn hard to say "You caused this wreck" in a car he wasn't driving and apparently didn't run off the road.

Hopefully, he never makes it if this is true.

I seriously question if anyone will spend a first round pick on him given the situation. Given the gravity of what has taken place, at least "some" jail time seems almost certain.

It's only two months until the draft and I just don't see much movement on the case in that time. Third round or higher picks are like gold to NFL teams-especially the good ones who draft well.

If he drops out of the first and second, his agent would be best asking teams NOT to draft him in the later rounds. That way, when the smoke has cleared a bit, be can pick and choose his situation-hopefully he is wise enough to pick and organization that does not suffer fools.

The downside being an UDFA contract is only for two years (I think?) So if he turns out to be a bust then he's screwed.

Upside being, if he cleans up his act and produces on the field he gets a big payday sooner.

VN Store

Back