Jaden Rashada sues Florida for reneging on $13 mil NIL

Yet Florida STILL lives rent free in Tennessee Football's Brains...since 1990...

Tip of the iceberg for college football. You will see some iteration of this kind of claim over and over and over, again. Its a function of the incomprehensible manner in which NIL came to be. No one messed this up on purpose, it was disorganization and lack of communication, distinct roles as between the football program and the outside NIL entity. I imagine odds are high he will get something out of it in the form of settlement as the university doesn't want these question marks out there as Napier tries to rebuild the team..

Having said that, there is a certain irony that, as soon as UF could not meet its original commitment, he immediately bolted to Arizona State, and then immediately now bolts to UGA. Three schools in basically 18 months. Can't blame him, but its the equivalent of unrestricted free agency every Spring now for all 5 stars, moving from highest bidder to highest bidder.

The sport, as I grew up with it, is no more.

1. not sure how this is Napiers, or UF's fault the NIL deal thru with a third party collective or agent.
2. seems like he is opening up himself to getting sued by Miami for backing out of his NIL deal there. this could set a dangerous precedence for players getting sued in return for not meeting the NIL requirements.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
its the exact same, you are just more aware of it. even the Cam Newton stuff was accepted at the time. the only issue was the deal became public. The NCAA didn't even bat an eye at Auburn or Cam after he was offered 400k to go to Mississippi State. because clearly there was money there too, probably more.

Tip of the iceberg for college football. You will see some iteration of this kind of claim over and over and over, again. Its a function of the incomprehensible manner in which NIL came to be. No one messed this up on purpose, it was disorganization and lack of communication, distinct roles as between the football program and the outside NIL entity. I imagine odds are high he will get something out of it in the form of settlement as the university doesn't want these question marks out there as Napier tries to rebuild the team..

Having said that, there is a certain irony that, as soon as UF could not meet its original commitment, he immediately bolted to Arizona State, and then immediately now bolts to UGA. Three schools in basically 18 months. Can't blame him, but its the equivalent of unrestricted free agency every Spring now for all 5 stars, moving from highest bidder to highest bidder.

What has really changed the sport are the transfer rules. Way more so than NIL. These situations where guys are playing for 3-4 different schools in their career that have almost become routine wouldn't happen.

Even if NIL didn't exist, guys would still be moving around all over the place looking for more playing time, a better under the table deal, etc.

its the exact same, you are just more aware of it. even the Cam Newton stuff was accepted at the time. the only issue was the deal became public. The NCAA didn't even bat an eye at Auburn or Cam after he was offered 400k to go to Mississippi State. because clearly there was money there too, probably more.

Although paying players certainly did occur, the fact that it had to be done on the sly limited it. I don't recall players hop scotching from team to team then as is unfolding now.

While transfers occurred, they were not nearly at this pace, not even close, and the concept of team is dead, as is the concept of a player "being a Gator," or "being a Vol."

Reactions: ReadCT and HEAD-VOL
What has really changed the sport are the transfer rules. Way more so than NIL. These situations where guys are playing for 3-4 different schools in their career that have almost become routine wouldn't happen.

Even if NIL didn't exist, guys would still be moving around all over the place looking for more playing time, a better under the table deal, etc.

Yes. Though the NIL money is a whole 'nother level of incentive to jump ship every year.

If in fact they have text messages Florida has no choice than to fire Napier. All because Florida refused to hire a coach who could manage things at this level.
It’s now another starting over point. Probation, staff firings and players bolting

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion

Mercenaries and nothing more. I support them getting a share of the huge money the schools and coaches are raking in but 3 or 4 schools in as many years is a bit much. That is the definition of mercenary.

Problem is now we are seeing average talent getting 400K.

Pearl clutchers, unite!

Every other college student can go to another school every year. They can work and go to school. If they developed a software company with millions, while enrolled, that's heralded.

Heaven forbid someone with athletic talents use those talents to be paid fair market value.

1. not sure how this is Napiers, or UF's fault the NIL deal thru with a third party collective or agent.
2. seems like he is opening up himself to getting sued by Miami for backing out of his NIL deal there. this could set a dangerous precedence for players getting sued in return for not meeting the NIL requirements.
The first time a program sues a PLAYER for not attending their school? They dug their own recruiting grave.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Although paying players certainly did occur, the fact that it had to be done on the sly limited it. I don't recall players hop scotching from team to team then as is unfolding now.

While transfers occurred, they were not nearly at this pace, not even close, and the concept of team is dead, as is the concept of a player "being a Gator," or "being a Vol."
That's because transfer rules back then were significantly more prohibitive. Player had to ask for a release from the school he was enrolled in. If the school said no and the player left, then he lost a year of eligibility since he wasn't allowed to play for one year and had to pay out of pocket for the year of school he transferred to. Transferring then wasn't worth it.

If players could transfer as easily then as they can now, then I think we would have seen a lot more transfers. Under the table money and playing time were still very motivating factors.

VN Store

Back