It's [not yet] official, Rick Barnes in as head coach

Has Rick barnes been a perennial underachiever the last few years?
Yes, absolutely

Is this still a good hire for the Vols?
Yes, absolutely

A veteran coach with a proven track record who recruits well, and will stabilize a program that went through 4 coaches in 4 years. Tennessee desperately needs a coach like Rick Barnes right now, even if his best days are behind him.

I am satisfied.

Reactions: 3 people
Also, how does that relate in any way to Texas firing their basketball coach who's en route to Tennessee? It's not like Texas had Charlie Strong at the time.

After 17 years Texas had enough. A younger, up and coming coach must have been too much work for Hart to explore. Age and passion are definite concerns. Barnes is no Larry Brown.

longhorns all-time winningest coach, Providence and clemson were good stops also, thier new AD is cleaning house, FB and BB

...okay? Because Tennessee's current football coach isn't doing just as good of a job if not better at rebuilding the program?

I will say it: I will take Butch Jones and give you 5 Strongs. Didn't want him then, and AM POSITIVE I don't want him now.

Butch was a better hire, and he has proven he much, much better.

Reactions: 1 person
I think it's a very solid hire. First time we've gotten a coach who just exited a major program in awhile. I heard that the deal was he had to fire his staff or be fired and he refused to can them. So at the very least I already respect his integrity. Welcome to a better shade of orange RB!

Reactions: 2 people
I will say it: I will take Butch Jones and give you 5 Strongs. Didn't want him then, and AM POSITIVE I don't want him now.

Butch was a better hire, and he has proven he much, much better.

Way premature, but I would agree that at this point in time, I would much rather have Butch.

Rick Barnes' last 4 years at Texas were substantially better than what Tennessee accomplished as a whole the last 4 years. We aren't going to make the final four or win the SEC, but we weren't going to do those things regardless of who we hired that was realistic.

Reactions: 1 person
Not listening but preparing for a sports radio moron to utter the words "why not hire Rick Byrd?"

Pretty much who both Withrow and I think Dougherty said it should be. Withrow even said he'd "lose all faith in Hart" if Byrd wasn't the first person he called.

VN Store

Back