It's [not yet] official, Rick Barnes in as head coach

reading throughout this thread Im kinda surprised by some.

How can this be seen as anything but an outstanding hire by UT? I think ya'll are very fortunate he was available when you needed a stable hire. UT couldn't mess this one up, you literally had to have a good hire. this is it.

I'm not sure anyone sees this as a "bad hire", but more like a very safe hire with a high floor and a low ceiling. Hard to call it a bad hire.

Some people were hoping for a hire with potential for star power (the next Shaka, G. Marshall, or B. Stevens), which Barnes is not no matter how much you like him. What Barnes does bring is some guarantees. He will win games, he will make the tournament, he will stabilize the program, and he will keep the program's nose clean.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm not sure anyone sees this as a "bad hire", but more like a very safe hire with a high floor and a low ceiling. Hard to call it a bad hire.

Some people were hoping for a hire with potential for star power (the next Shaka, G. Marshall, or B. Stevens), which Barnes is not no matter how much you like him. What Barnes does bring is some guarantees. He will win games, he will make the tournament, he will stabilize the program, and he will keep the program's nose clean.

Well stated.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you even know what his record was at Clemson?

4 years, 3 NCAAT's, 1 Sweet 16. He even took Providence to the NCAAT 3 times. I guess he was using those Texas resources at those places, too. Some of you guys are amazing.

I am amazed by the fact that he has been to more NCAAT's as a HC than UT has been to as a program.

Barnes 23 NCAAT bids.
UT 20 NCAAT bids.

Barnes has lived in the NCAAT during his career. If that doesn't confirm to you that this is a very solid hire then I guess that nothing will!

Reactions: 3 people
Great hire by Hart. Tennessee landed the best name available at this point in time (of those that were realistic possibilities). Coach Barnes is a great coach and more importantly is a great person.

Barnes' previous relationship with Nike will be big as we transition. He's an accomplished and well respected name in coaching. He's an established recruiter. I think he will turn this program around and we will consistently finish towards the top of the conference.

I'm truly glad that Hart nailed this hire.

Reactions: 4 people
Parting words to Texas, Wanted to finish the dream here.
Hope he finishes it at the real UT.

Very solid hire. This is the best hire we have ever had in basketball from a resume or name recognition standpoint.

Reactions: 2 people
What is your problem? I only inferred that it was a short search. Not sure why the insult. Bless your heart.

Eh, too late to act like a martyr. I saw your schtick on the other board.

Besides later in this thread you agreed with zjc about Dave Hart being 'stupid'. It inferred you are still taking digs at Hart and that you are credible enough to determine whether a person performing a job you have no clue about is 'stupid' or not. See to me, that's really stupid.

Last edited:
If this is such a good hire, why do I feel cheated

It’s because some of us still have hope. We believe that we still haven’t had our iconic men’s basketball coach, and that we still can. And we know that you can’t tell at first glance who the next Coach K, Izzo, Wooden, Dean Smith, or for that matter Billy Donovan, might be. You have to be willing to watch them grow. Only when they stop growing and become stagnant can you be sure they aren’t the one. We want to be here when it happens. (And, I don’t know about you, but I’m running out of time.) It all feels like “good enough for Tennessee”. Stability? Get into the tournament? Set your sights low and you can hit your target. But there won’t be greatness. We want greatness.

Besides later in this thread you agreed with zjc about Dave Hart being 'stupid'. It inferred you are still taking digs at Hart and that you are credible enough to determine whether a person performing a job you have no clue about is 'stupid' or not. See to me, that's really stupid.

Apparently you seem to know stupid on a personal level. I don't like Hart and I've never hidden that. And, Z didn't call him stupid just said he stupidly settled. Lot of people do stupid things that aren't stupid.

And, the martyr thing, you really need to read what is written and not put your spin on what you think you're reading.

I am amazed by the fact that he has been to more NCAAT's as a HC than UT has been to as a program.

Barnes 23 NCAAT bids.
UT 20 NCAAT bids.

Barnes has lived in the NCAAT during his career. If that doesn't confirm to you that this is a very solid hire then I guess that nothing will!

10 trips to the Sweet 16 or beyond in 22* years (pretty good) None since 2008 (not so good).

Honestly that's what Hart needs more so than a big name at this point. Really couldn't have said it better myself. I know several wanted us to swing for the fences and get one of these high profile up and comers but if we got a bad hire, the same people would've called for Hart's head. Barnes is the safe choice and IDK that many high profile names were lining up for the job with this roster.

VN Store

Back