It’s time. A Kesling thread

IMO the hyper fast paced CJH offense has made it more difficult for Bob to stay on top of an accurate description. He is pushing 70 years old after all. We all slow down as we age. I think UT needs to add a really sharp play-by-play announcer. If Bob doesn’t want to retire, he could still retain a seat in the broadcast booth. But ideally not as the primary talent on the mic during football games.

Bob is about a year younger than John Ward was when he decided the time had come for him to step aside.

That’s when you bring in a really good hockey play play radio guy. Listening to hockey on the radio is borderline seizure inducing but they’re definitely on top of the action.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
I agree with the OP but let me start here. I think a lot of the BK hate is unreasonable sometimes. He’s not going to be John Ward, no one is going to be such a complete homer like the old guys were (Ward, Munson, Fyffe and others). Whenever BK steps down the next voice of the Vols is going to be equally balanced and generic.

That said, I do think his time has passed. I got in the car while the Mizzou game was on and he cheered a TD with such excitement I assumed we scored, but it was Mizzou who scored. Even Mike Keith with an NFL job will change the tone of his emotions to signify whether it is “our” team or the “other” team. I listened to the 1st half of the the Vandy game in the car, and I felt like he did a poor job of describing the action so that I could visualize it, and I felt like he made a lot of mistakes. Re-watching the game, he didn’t describe it well at all.

But my biggest grief is Pat Ryan. Going back to the music city miracle Pat doesn’t know when to keep quiet. He talked all over Mike Keith when Dyson was returning the ball. Listening to some of UT’s big plays Saturday I had to wait and listen to the recap of the play because Ryan was talking all over it.
I think every one of the SEC play by play announcers are homers except for Bob

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
He’s fine, it’s just the radio, no younger people listen to the Vol network anyway, they just watch

I mostly agree with this. I rarely listen to the radio for the broadcast (these days), unless I have no other choice (driving). I can't say that I dislike Bob, but his broadcasts are nothing to write home about. I think Mike Keith would be an upgrade, but maybe that ship has sailed.

John Ward was the best, and who I grew up with. I occasionally watched the game, while listening to him. I haven't thought about doing that kind of setup for a while.

Reactions: tngivm6
I don't mind Kesling at all, guess I'm used to him now. I can see how people could say the radio broadcast is irrelevant, but I still listen pre and post game and any time I have to be driving during a game. I saw Kesling at the SC game and he looked terrible, I know it was a long tough day but he was struggling to move like he just got trucked by a linebacker.

Reactions: ptcarter
Kesling has done an admirable job and I enjoyed listening to him over the years but it’s time to bring in some new blood and energy to the broadcasts. A new chapter of Vol football is underway with lots of excitement and energy. The broadcast energy doesn’t match what is happening on the field. This isn’t a bash Bob thread As I’ve been plenty critical of him the last few years, just putting what I know a lot are thinking out there for discussion.

Let Brian Rice take over for Kesling and John Wilkerson or Andy Brock could do Lady Vols radio broadcasts.

I mostly agree with this. I rarely listen to the radio for the broadcast (these days), unless I have no other choice (driving). I can't say that I dislike Bob, but his broadcasts are nothing to write home about. I think Mike Keith would be an upgrade, but maybe that ship has sailed.

John Ward was the best, and who I grew up with. I occasionally watched the game, while listening to him. I haven't thought about doing that kind of setup for a while.
Maybe I’m biased for Bob simply because he’s the only guy I’ve ever heard do the football games, I never heard John Ward call a game as I was 2 years old in 98. I like Bob but he’s obviously getting older, I do really like Mike Keith calling Titans games

“Proud Army Wife” or “Juanita” would bring diversity and new perspective to the booth.

It just astounds me, the reasoning, "since no one else is John Ward ... all Tennesseeans could ever get, or deserve, would be Buckeye Bob Kesling." ???

Reactions: Jeff Clark
IMO the hyper fast paced CJH offense has made it more difficult for Bob to stay on top of an accurate description. He is pushing 70 years old after all. We all slow down as we age. I think UT needs to add a really sharp play-by-play announcer. If Bob doesn’t want to retire, he could still retain a seat in the broadcast booth. But ideally not as the primary talent on the mic during football games.

Bob is about a year younger than John Ward was when he decided the time had come for him to step aside.
That really is true. We're not an easy team to do play by play for. Really need some good spotters and assistants in the booth to even begin to keep up with the frenetic pace.

Kesling is as dry as a powder house..hardly any emotion what so ever. It’s the same ole Bob every game. Can’t pronounce our players names correctly or doesn’t even try. Let him do basketball or hockey for that matter we need new life in the box for football..

Kesling is as dry as a powder house..hardly any emotion what so ever. It’s the same ole Bob every game. Can’t pronounce our players names correctly or doesn’t even try. Let him do basketball or hockey for that matter we need new life in the box for football..
Bob is and has always been a TV News Sportscaster doing play by play

I've defended Kesling and I still think he had a good voice for radio, but after listening to the broadcast of the Missouri game, I tend to agree he may be getting a little long in the tooth. Better not be Mike Keith though. He sounds like a weasel.

VN Store

Back