It’s almost like Joe Milton has improved

He still could have changed his vector at the last minute, IMO.

Not being aware of time is not ideal either.

I'm willing to move past it though, if he has truly improved.

There is going to be a segment of our fanbase that will never get over, even if he wins the Heisman (maybe a slight exageration).

The example I like to point to is Nathan Peterman. He absolutely melted down for one half vs Florida and the great majority of our fanbase never wanted him to see the field.

That's two quarters, or 30 or so plays. That isn't enough to write someone off. I do realize he had four turnovers. He has shown a tendency to have turnovers in the NFL as well, and also in some games at Pitt, so he does roll that way.

I actually blame Jones for that first half more than Peterman though. Peterman had not played a single down, was a true frosh, and Jones started him on the road at the swamp in his third game. He had only been on campus 6 weeks. Is it any wonder he melted down?

That didn't matter to most of our fanbase though. He was "the worst QB to ever play at Tennessee!" Seriiously, multiple people told me that. After 30 plays. (SMH)

Yep. All of this. Probably the dumbest move of Jones’ time at UT was starting a redshirt freshman in his first game on the road in the Swamp having never played before. They had some cupcake games against Western and Austin Peay before Oregon and Florida in which to get him ready, but instead chose not to play him in those games. It not only cost Tennessee the Florida game (Florida finished 4-8 that season), but also ruined Peterman at UT. He had to go to Pitt to revive his career.

And yes, he’s a perfect example of a QB going from terrible to a good college QB…good enough to get drafted. Milton hasn’t looked nearly as bad as Peterman did. Guys can and do improve.

Reactions: GUNTERSVOL
Neither one made the boneheaded plays this guy has done. You can’t coach up these kind of decisions. HE RAN OUT OF BOUNDS !!! What’s left to expect out of that ?
Ainge vs LSU in 2005 was just as bad as Milton running out of bounds. Clausen and Gerald Riggs bailed us out in the end so it isn’t brought up as much.

For those with short memories, it’s around 24:00 minutes into the video.

Last edited:
He still could have changed his vector at the last minute, IMO.

Not being aware of time is not ideal either.

I'm willing to move past it though, if he has truly improved.

There is going to be a segment of our fanbase that will never get over, even if he wins the Heisman (maybe a slight exageration).

The example I like to point to is Nathan Peterman. He absolutely melted down for one half vs Florida and the great majority of our fanbase never wanted him to see the field.

That's two quarters, or 30 or so plays. That isn't enough to write someone off. I do realize he had four turnovers. He has shown a tendency to have turnovers in the NFL as well, and also in some games at Pitt, so he does roll that way.

I actually blame Jones for that first half more than Peterman though. Peterman had not played a single down, was a true frosh, and Jones started him on the road at the swamp in his third game. He had only been on campus 6 weeks. Is it any wonder he melted down?

That didn't matter to most of our fanbase though. He was "the worst QB to ever play at Tennessee!" Seriiously, multiple people told me that. After 30 plays. (SMH)
Peterman was a redshirt freshman and had finished up some games. That was why a segment of the fan population wanted him to get a chance over Worley…who wasn’t exactly “infallible”. I didn’t write Peterman off because of that disastrous start. I had seen cool customers like Casey Clausen have an implosion on live TV…happens. In Peterman’s case, he NEVER displayed eptitude (made up word…still using) afterwards. I got nervous if he was finishing up the game in the victory formation. He was wrecked and we didn’t have the staff that could salvage him and no inherent need to do so with a better player in Dobbs at the helm. He needed a change of scenery and it benefited him to the point he’s receiving paychecks from a NFL team. Going by performance, if he wasn’t the WORST QB in Vols history, he places top 5. We don’t recognize Pitt stats in our vaults.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I’m not calling for nothing ! I’m not the coach it’s his paycheck not mine. Call bonehead all you want sit back and learn I guess. 1 play ? Lol he got benched before that because of his lack of play. You call it what you want but there’s gonna be a lot more of that to watch. If he becomes the starter next year. A horse can look like a thoroughbred but it doesn’t mean he’s gonna win a race. I’m done move on!

We have a head horse trainer who brought him here, put him out there, had him still as the primary backup, and continues to support his efforts on the practice field. I am willing to accept whatever our leader does at this position, he has a pretty good history of identifying and maximizing talent.

I’m not saying he should. But s bunch of our fans acted like he was a hopeless case because he wasn’t a good QB after only playing 1.5 games and only being in this offense for a month before the season started. Not to mention that the guys around him weren’t up to speed in this offense yet either until about October. The notion that he can develop into a good QB was just thrown out the window.

Our impatient, black and white societal mentality just won’t allow folks to consider him anything other than a lost cause.
Kind-of hard to blame the fans when Hooker came in and looked like he had been playing for YEARS as the starter. Damn near won the game. Def put up points and is one of the best qbs in the US. So going at the fans based off all the facts doesn't make any sense. He had the summer and was named the starter. maybe he wasnt ready, but that's on him!

Kind-of hard to blame the fans when Hooker came in and looked like he had been playing for YEARS as the starter. Damn near won the game. Def put up points and is one of the best qbs in the US. So going at the fans based off all the facts doesn't make any sense. He had the summer and was named the starter. maybe he wasnt ready, but that's on him!
Hooker did not look that good early on.

He was OK against Pitt and he really didn't look great against Tenn Tech or Florida.

He didn't run away with the job until the Mizzou game.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Peterman was a redshirt freshman and had finished up some games. That was why a segment of the fan population wanted him to get a chance over Worley…who wasn’t exactly “infallible”. I didn’t write Peterman off because of that disastrous start. I had seen cool customers like Casey Clausen have an implosion on live TV…happens. In Peterman’s case, he NEVER displayed eptitude (made up word…still using) afterwards. I got nervous if he was finishing up the game in the victory formation. He was wrecked and we didn’t have the staff that could salvage him and no inherent need to do so with a better player in Dobbs at the helm. He needed a change of scenery and it benefited him to the point he’s receiving pa
checks from a NFL team. Going by performance, if he wasn’t the WORST QB in Vols history, he places top 5. We don’t recognize Pitt stats in our vaults.

The point about the stats was that it was a small sample, very small. Not enough to judge him. Throwing him into the fire in the Swamp was a mistake. His stats in his other games were not terrible but overall it was a tiny sample.

The point about the stats was that it was a small sample, very small. Not enough to judge him. Throwing him into the fire in the Swamp was a mistake. His stats in his other games were not terrible but overall it was a tiny sample.
Only thing he can be judged on.

Only thing he can be judged on.

You can't bench a player permanently after a single half, that nuts, particularly when it was Jones putting him in a position to fail.

If I'm rememering correctly, he started the Alabama game in 2014 before being relieved by Dobbs, and that was it for Peterman. He didn't play terrible in that game, but didn't do anything great either. I think we all can agree Dobbs was the right choice by a mile, but that doesn't mean Peterman was "the worst QB to ever play at UT" based on a single half.

You can't bench a player permanently after a single half, that nuts, particularly when it was Jones putting him in a position to fail.

If I'm rememering correctly, he started the Alabama game in 2014 before being relieved by Dobbs, and that was it for Peterman. He didn't play terrible in that game, but didn't do anything great either. I think we all can agree Dobbs was the right choice by a mile, but that doesn't mean Peterman was "the worst QB to ever play at UT" based on a single half.
Judging by what stats are available? He’s up there. Caveats and apologies are for his fan club. No hate for the guy.

Imagine that.
He has all the athletic ability in the world...add accuracy and touch to his throws and situational awareness to his game and the skys the limit. Not ready to give up on him by any means but Hooker is the starter unless he just can't go.

Ainge vs LSU in 2005 was just as bad as Milton running out of bounds. Clausen and Gerald Riggs bailed us out in the end so it isn’t brought up as much.

For those with short memories, it’s around 24:00 minutes into the video.

Milton chose not to throw the ball on the very last PLAY of the game! PERIOD ! In the Ainge game...In the 2nd quarter? from his one yard line? Going back to pass and turning around to a defender in his face.? Common ! Not THE VERY LAST PLAY to win. Not with a defender in his face.

Oh I’m living my dreams and love life to the fullest. There’s no juvenile or child here but a man that’s taking no crap off people that bash others if they don’t agree with them. This is my 50th year of Tennessee football and I’m as passionate of a fan as anyone else. That’s hilarious that you spewed that much garbage out.! You act like he’s just a child and doesn’t know how to take criticism. This is what’s wrong with this world now.! The QB is the one person on the field that better know how to deal with negativity.! How can you even begin to put that in to perspective? You look all over this league or any league high school to college to the pros. This day and time a QB will dive up and over and be flipped upside down on there skull for the team. He ran out of bounds didn’t throw the ball towards his teammates....Didn’t even try to win the game. He ran out of bounds...You can’t fix that sort of thing. Because you have no ideal what’s running through there minds. How many times do you think that play was ran through his mind from the sideline. I’m not discussing my knowledge of the game and to brag....soooo good for you. But if you think I’m gonna just sit back and listen to a bunch of garbage. And not express my own opinion then your wrong. Nothing has changed about VolNation either. Either you agree or get bashed and ran off the site. Wishing something great for someone is awesome.! But to wish and try to will it and then your doomed. You have to feel and see it and want it bad. I don’t see it....and honestly I wished I could but I don’t think we ever will. That’s just my opinion so why can’t we just leave it at that. It’s my opinion just as I stated by saying the word NO. That’s it I said NO and got belittled by one fan and then your sorry arse butted in. So don’t give me your glorious spill your this your that and I did this and that...BS.!!! If you only knew.....lol

Other than as a spectator i have no dog in this race.

However the medication you came off of prior to participating in this thread...go get a refill.

Please.

Milton's issues, whatever they are now, are between the ears. There does not appear to be any physical ones, or they're negligible. He has the gifts to be a QB, he's got to learn to see and think like one.

Reactions: Alto1
He has all the athletic ability in the world...add accuracy and touch to his throws and situational awareness to his game and the skys the limit. Not ready to give up on him by any means but Hooker is the starter unless he just can't go.
You literally just listed all of the things that he has proven he hasn’t improved on after 4 years in major college football programs.

You literally just listed all of the things that he has proven he hasn’t improved on after 4 years in major college football programs.

He has two years and three games to work on his area of needs and until our coach gives up on him I won't. Anyone that has confidence they can discern at this time he can or he can't has a different set of growth needs.

Other than as a spectator i have no dog in this race.

However the medication you came off of prior to participating in this thread...go get a refill.

Please.
Spectator? HUH.....and here you are. Just like the others...No class ! What you don’t like you try and put someone else down. Childish ! I must be on some good medicine. Loving life and living the dream. Never once wondering from being a VFL 50 years later!

Spectator? HUH.....and here you are. Just like the others...No class ! What you don’t like you try and put someone else down. Childish ! I must be on some good medicine. Loving life and living the dream. Never once wondering from being a VFL 50 years later!

Your big problem is your arrogant pronouncements of of limitations of both players and posters RIGHTFULLY gives them the right to WONDER if you have any value add as VOL.... in public if you say you are then you will be considered one, but that does not mean your plus/minus stats as a supporter benefit the program. The number of challenges you receive without an indication you will consider revisiting one of your positions is for sure a problem for many.

Your big problem is your arrogant pronouncements of of limitations of both players and posters RIGHTFULLY gives them the right to WONDER if you have any value add as VOL.... in public if you say you are then you will be considered one, but that does not mean your plus/minus stats as a supporter benefit the program. The number of challenges you receive without an indication you will consider revisiting one of your positions is for sure a problem for many.
Your the few....not the many...Only the ones like yourself seem to put others down and want division between fellow fans. I grew up with a strong influence of Alabama fans in my family. So dealing with them around the holidays wasn’t fun being ragged. You have no ideal what that’s like growing up as a kid during the very lean years through the 70’s-80’s ! Moved to Florida in the early 80’s and guess what all my friends grew up as fans. Yup Florida fans ! I’ve NEVER wandered as a Tennessee fan !....Now...I’ve watched this site and foolish people like yourself who thought getting rid of Fulmer was a great Ideal. They got what they wanted and the media ran with it. How’d that work out for you guys...Lane the train was gonna take us to the promise land. When they brought him in I was worried to death what those cheating idiots would bring to Tennessee. How’d that work out for you guys. Screwed us and left ! The rest is what all the trickling down affect has cost Tennessee. 50 years is my worth and my knowledge of not only the sport but the University of Tennessee ! My dad use to tell me son I’ve forgotten more than you’ll ever know. Lol but if you don’t think learning or listening to someone who has seen everything in this sport..then you are foolish. Life lessons learn as in your own life. Will either kill you or you will be successful from the knowledge! This is exactly the problems we have going on right now in this world.! If you erase the past....the lessons learned or knowledge then you will fell ! Opinions....we don’t have to agree on...but to put others down is doomed for failure! VolNation doesn’t need to sit and argue and put one another down. All the arguing and negative crap is exactly what makes a story for the media/headline news.!

Hooker did not look that good early on.

He was OK against Pitt and he really didn't look great against Tenn Tech or Florida.

He didn't run away with the job until the Mizzou game.
u've lost ur mind. outside the last pick, he damn near won the game. and against florida, key drops hurt the team, but balls def hit hands of wr's. he took the job the pitt game. anyone who says otherwise simply still had hope for their pick as qb not named Hooker! Facts!

u've lost ur mind. outside the last pick, he damn near won the game. and against florida, key drops hurt the team, but balls def hit hands of wr's. he took the job the pitt game. anyone who says otherwise simply still had hope for their pick as qb not named Hooker! Facts!

Nobody at the time was completely sold on Hooker.

Think back now

Two months ago.

It wasn't maybe until Hooker hit that first deep ball to Payton in the Florida game that we started to feel like he was the guy.

VN Store

Back