Is Ziegler outplaying Chandler?

No, Zeigler is benefiting from defenses having to focus on Chandler and Vescovi, which gives Zeigler a lot of room to work. But guess what? Chandler is benefiting from defenses having to focus on Vescovi and Zeigler, which gives Chandler room to work, and Vescovi is benefiting from defenses having to focus on Chander and Zeigler, which gives Vescovi room to work. It's a team sport. They're all talented players, and they're all benefiting from having each other out there to draw attention and keep defenses more honest in how they defend. Take Vescovi's 17 PPG for example. He's certainly doing well this year, and it's due to his improvement, but it's also due to the fact defenses have to do their best to contain Chandler. They cannot leave Chandler, they cannot give Chandler any room. He is too good to ignore. That helps the guys around him find matchups and openings.

I suspect we're going to see a lot of that this year, especially with Tennessee's focus on shooting the three. Depending on who has the hot hand, and who defenses choose to focus on, you're going to have games with Chandler scoring ~20, or Vescovi scoring ~20, or apparently Zeigler scoring ~20. The backcourt scoring's gonna bounce around like a hot potato all season. A beautiful, lethal, SEC-championship caliber hot potato.

ZZ is a playa but he's a weakness of defense and setting picks.
Honestly I’m sure he’s not going to be an elite defensive player, but he impressed me yesterday. He was disruptive and generally stuck with his man. Hard to say he’s been worse than Chandler on defense

But still, no. He’s awesome but Z has had one great game so far, Chandler has had three. And almost all of Z’s production in that great game came in that three guard lineup featuring Chandler, while Chandler has impressed being the sole distributor on the floor

From my eye test unsupported by any data, KC played great against the cupcakes but not great against the ranked teams. His potential however is indisputable, sky is the limit

I get a kick out of going to opponents’ forums after we win. North Carolina fans were in a tizzy about Ziegler. Here’s what one fan remarked:

“How in the world do you let that little Tennessee guard who the announcers repeatedly said didn’t get a single D1 scholarship offer until Tennessee, keep blowing by RJ and Caleb for layups? Maddening!”

Who remembers Devan Downey that played for South Carolina several years ago? ZZ is our Downey.

We would be lucky to have any of our players reach Devan Downey's level by their senior year--he was electric for South Carolina. I like your comparison. Excited that Barnes was able to land such a great PG for us, and I'm excited for ZZ's future here.

VN Store

Back