Is the team just toying with us at this point?

Fulky is having a subpar season thus far. Bailey is inconsistent offensively. Vescovi is a huge problem. He physically can’t defend a good PG. He turns the ball over way too much, especially when he drives baseline. He constantly leaves his feet on passes. If he doesn’t hit four threes a game, then he is useless on the court. This team will be a final four team next year with Chandler coming in if Barnes can talk Springer and Keon into staying one more season.

I agree and i wish someone would kick ole Dykes in the nut sack when he starts that F4 E8 talk. Not that into projections but the preseason for this team was 7 losses. After we revised the schedule and beat Colorado it jumped to 4 and Dykes started his BS. Getting as bad as Vitale to listen to.
Just turn the sound down. That is what I do.

Absolutely is. Two first round picks, a second round pick and a possible European player is higher than the 2019 team had.
For one thing, the 2019 team had a first round pick (Grant Williams #22 overall), and two second round picks (Admiral Schofield #42 overall and Jordan Bone #57 overall) and they also had a European player (Kyle Alexander). So, it's not like the 2019 team didn't also have players with NBA potential.

Of course, Springer and Johnson have higher upsides to their games than those 2019 players did, but the mere NBA potential of individual players doesn't make one college team necessarily better than another. You must weigh the experience factor, and how long the respective units have played together. In the college game, it can make a big difference. I would point to the physical transformations of both Williams and Schofield over the course of their time at Tennessee to drive home that point.

The problem is that this team has to depend to heavily on two freshman. Fulky and Pons are too inconsistent, and they have no reliable inside post presence. Olivier needs to earn Fulky's minutes, he's the best option down there. I hope the target some grad transfer with legit size and ability, and recruit some as well.

For one thing, the 2019 team had a first round pick (Grant Williams #22 overall), and two second round picks (Admiral Schofield #42 overall and Jordan Bone #57 overall) and they also had a European player (Kyle Alexander). So, it's not like the 2019 team didn't also have players with NBA potential.

Of course, Springer and Johnson have higher upsides to their games than those 2019 players did, but the mere NBA potential of individual players doesn't make one college team necessarily better than another. You must weigh the experience factor, and how long the respective units have played together. In the college game, it can make a big difference. I would point to the physical transformations of both Williams and Schofield over the course of their time at Tennessee to drive home that point.
If we’re honest, both the 2019 team as well as this years team ( so far) underperformed

Fulky is having a subpar season thus far. Bailey is inconsistent offensively. Vescovi is a huge problem. He physically can’t defend a good PG. He turns the ball over way too much, especially when he drives baseline. He constantly leaves his feet on passes. If he doesn’t hit four threes a game, then he is useless on the court. This team will be a final four team next year with Chandler coming in if Barnes can talk Springer and Keon into staying one more season.
Here is the main problem. Point guard. Vescovi is not a PG and Barnes should not have him in that position. Put SV on the perimeter and let him be a gunner. I have the feeling if that was his role he would knock down 20 points a game.

No, they just aren't good offensively and half of the starters aren't SEC level starters
Three 5 stars? The SEC defensive player of the year and an all-SEC player aren’t “SEC level?”
WTH are you taking about?
I question whether Vescovi should be starting. He was embarrassed on the defensive end.

Absolutely is. Two first round picks, a second round pick and a possible European player is higher than the 2019 team had.

This is where you have to consider experience though. Compare a junior who is a late first round pick to a freshman top 15 pick. Grant Williams was a better college player as a junior than probably Keon Johnson right now.

I posted yesterday that more than ever, I’m realizing that top 75 players that have developed and stayed as upper class men are how you win in college basketball.

John Petty, Javonte Smart, Trendon Watford, Darius Days, Jeremiah Tillmon, Scottie Lewis, Tre Mann are all high level recruits that are at least sophomores playing on the top SEC teams. Our one would be JJJ, and he stuffs the stats but isn’t consistent enough on offense. Arkansas is the only team playing with more freshmen, but they mixed in some transfers.

It’s the Villanova model. In one of their championship years, they had all 5 starters eventually go to the NBA, but I believe all of them played at least 2 years.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Every player besides our absolute beast Freshmen has regressed since SEC play has started. Without these freshmen this team would average 45 points a game if they’re lucky. Besides Keon and Jaden someone needs to grow a set and start playing with some pride. We need more than two people in the entire program to maybe even pretend to be pissed when we lose. The team especially the upper class men look like they could care less.
^^^^^^^ nailed it

Reactions: waynechismforthre
If this team is going to do anything the rest of the season Fulkerson has to actually show up and play. He has been pathetic all season.

Pons, Fulk, and Vescovi are all hurt and struggling. Need to get healthy or we are 1 and done

It’s an unusual year, look at the ups and downs that most other teams are having. Not only the losses, but the unusually large point differentiations and inconsistencies. It’s not Covid, but the protocols have made this a difficult year. Athletes are creatures of habit. I don’t think you can compare this year to any other.

I think I'm just going to abstain from watching games until SEC/NCAA Tournament time. Hopefully, this team will get a fire lit under them and play like they are capable. They are frustrating and depressing to watch now! Go Vols!

Reactions: djohnnyg
No. They just aren’t that good. SI saying we could be a NC contender is a joke.
We’ll be in the NCAA tournament for two games, max.

We won't do squat in the SEC or ncaa tourney. We might win the 1st game of the ncaa's but that's it. This just isn't a good team...period. But...it's nice we've been beating Kentucky. That is the big positive I take away w Rick Barnes. We're not a bottom feeder either. Which is nice. I don't know how good a coach Barnes is...but Im sorry I'm just not impressed by him. I give him credit for handling Kentucky though

Programs in the best spot it has been since the departure of Pearl and that’s due to Barnes and his staff.

That being said, he does seem to have his limitations as a coach. However, as a fan I can put up with those as long as we can stay in the hunt and mix each year.

The longer term issue for us is going to be the hire once Barnes decides to hang it up. Historically we’ve handled such situations poorly.

VN Store

Back