Is signing a PG a must?

I don’t think “any guard could do it.” Yes, a point guard needs a "high BBIQ;" and while being "highly intelligent" could only help, it is simply not a prerequisite. She should have good instincts, and other qualities.

The reality is, however, she needs good teammates, and good coaching.

That is why I am not as concerned as others. Kellie was a championship caliber player who played for the GOAT and will know how to take the necessary steps to fill the position by person or committee. I seem to remember someone saying in another forum that one should not worry about who they missed out on but worry about who they get. Sounds like good advice.

That is why I am not as concerned as others. Kellie was a championship caliber player who played for the GOAT and will know how to take the necessary steps to fill the position by person or committee. I seem to remember someone saying in another forum that one should not worry about who they missed out on but worry about who they get. Sounds like good advice.

And if my intuition is on par,,,we're about to get another one
Not confirmed, just a strong feeling as of yet

View attachment 285934
versus
View attachment 285937
With Wiggins and Miles as still very likely probables,,,I'll take what we have any day.
Even without those two, give me what we got!

See Mo run

Thats next years class and banghart is most likley not finish . Shes in play for Mcpherson as well , Lets look at the 2020 recruits and thats where my point is validated.

Thats next years class and banghart is most likley not finish . Shes in play for Mcpherson as well , Lets look at the 2020 recruits and thats where my point is validated.

I'm not worried,,,Destiny, Tess, Marta, and Keyen is a heckuva job after following the mess that was CHW !

I agree with you , but one thing we cannot discredit was Holly's ability to recruit . That's ALL SHE COULD do lol
She could definitely recruit high ranked players that sometime were not totally team players or sticklers for team rules and regulations. Most of them never played to their ranking or made a difference in getting us high in the SEC standing or deep into the NCAA Tourney. Kellie is bringing in a different type of player and they are lowered ranked, but most have put up huge stats in high school. None are stuck on only willing to play one position and all seem to be very team oriented. We'll have to wait and see if any are talented enough to play in the SEC and be successful.

A lot can happen before 2021 rosters are final. You got Grad Transfers, Jucos, and other transfers to consider as still being part of your or another team.

Kellie has done a great job recruiting so far. Despite having so little time, she was able to reel in some great players. I'm sure she is working on developing relationships which are at the heart of recruiting. The virus probably slowed that down somewhat but, over time, Kellie will be in a position to get all of her first choices. The portal has the ability to become a game changer and I expect the successful programs will learn to exploit that source for their talent.

Kellie has done a great job recruiting so far. Despite having so little time, she was able to reel in some great players. I'm sure she is working on developing relationships which are at the heart of recruiting. The virus probably slowed that down somewhat but, over time, Kellie will be in a position to get all of her first choices. The portal has the ability to become a game changer and I expect the successful programs will learn to exploit that source for their talent.

The one thing we don't know,,is,,,just what Coach K IS doing.
She may be pushing her staff and working every minute to get these players.
We don't know!

Like Mo, COach K holds her cards close so no one can see them, while Banghart spreads them on the table

She could definitely recruit high ranked players that sometime were not totally team players or sticklers for team rules and regulations. Most of them never played to their ranking or made a difference in getting us high in the SEC standing or deep into the NCAA Tourney. Kellie is bringing in a different type of player and they are lowered ranked, but most have put up huge stats in high school. None are stuck on only willing to play one position and all seem to be very team oriented. We'll have to wait and see if any are talented enough to play in the SEC and be successful.

I agree. I still hate to blame the players. However, I’m not completely convinced that Holly was a good recruiter. Have a strong feeling she got a lot of highly ranked players that other programs passed on for significant reasons. Academics, behavior and drama Etc. Holly thought she could “fix” them I’m sure. It was a disaster though.

I agree. I still hate to blame the players. However, I’m not completely convinced that Holly was a good recruiter. Have a strong feeling she got a lot of highly ranked players that other programs passed on for significant reasons. Academics, behavior and drama Etc. Holly thought she could “fix” them I’m sure. It was a disaster though.
At one time we had Davis, Westbrooks, Green, and Hayes all top 15 players to go with number one Russell and top ten Nared and we get beat by Bama, LSU, and Missouri all with none or no more than a couple top 25 players. I know some of it was coaching especially when we see some of the players go on to the Pros and get a lot better quickly. I think there were also some players that had limited offensive skills. The best player of the bunch is going to be Davis and we find that she has never been in trouble, has always bought in to what the team is doing and already had very good offensive skills coming out of high school. All the players that Coach Kellie has recruited have been recognized with excellent offensive skills in high school. Their stats show them scoring with high efficiency, shooting free throws high efficiency, also being able to rebound and assist other players. We'll hopefully find out soon how the first trio are able to adapt to college ball. They are not as highly rated as the second trio of 2021 but have the same type skill set and their numbers are somewhat identical as to their contributions to their teams in high school.

At one time we had Davis, Westbrooks, Green, and Hayes all top 15 players to go with number one Russell and top ten Nared and we get beat by Bama, LSU, and Missouri all with none or no more than a couple top 25 players. I know some of it was coaching especially when we see some of the players go on to the Pros and get a lot better quickly. I think there were also some players that had limited offensive skills. The best player of the bunch is going to be Davis and we find that she has never been in trouble, has always bought in to what the team is doing and already had very good offensive skills coming out of high school. All the players that Coach Kellie has recruited have been recognized with excellent offensive skills in high school. Their stats show them scoring with high efficiency, shooting free throws high efficiency, also being able to rebound and assist other players. We'll hopefully find out soon how the first trio are able to adapt to college ball. They are not as highly rated as the second trio of 2021 but have the same type skill set and their numbers are somewhat identical as to their contributions to their teams in high school.

A couple things about this post, Volfan2012: First, it's simply one of the best I've read in a long time. You stated the facts, without calling anyone out for personal criticism. You painted the Big Picture! Second, how do you retain so much knowledge/information? I have to look up rosters, names, dates, etc., (not to mention my awful spelling) ...and I still get so many things so wrong so often. I was going to comment similarly on your "The 2020 Lady Vols" thread - I hope it's alright to do so here? You put so much effort, research (and likely your heart and soul) into your postings. I'm very thankful, and a little envious.

I think all of us would sleep a little better if Coach Kellie signs a point guard; however, I'm reasonably confident that we'll be pleasantly surprised with the upgraded offense her gang brings into this season. Overall improvement - better passing, court vision/presence, inside and free throw shooting (all of which you and others have mentioned) will, at least by mid-to-late-season - make us a more confident team. I have a lot of confidence that we'll get there. Thanks again.

I feel certain that even if KJH does not bring in a top level point (and there are about 7 still available) the turnover issue from last year will be resolved. This team has a year under KJH and will have more confidence in the system thereby reducing those passes to open spaces. I believe that this years team will have a better grasp of getting the ball upcourt quick but not in a hurry. Hurry causes turnovers. Also i believe KJH will get the offensive fouls under control and that will diminish the turnovers.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I feel certain that even if KJH does not bring in a top level point (and there are about 7 still available) the turnover issue from last year will be resolved. This team has a year under KJH and will have more confidence in the system thereby reducing those passes to open spaces. I believe that this years team will have a better grasp of getting the ball upcourt quick but not in a hurry. Hurry causes turnovers. Also i believe KJH will get the offensive fouls under control and that will diminish the turnovers.
I really hope so Im so tired of our team being associated with Turnovers everytime they talk about Tennessee if they dont bring up our height they will bring up Tennessee Turnovers as Gamecock fans like to call it

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back