Is Pruitt Tennessee’s last big time chance?

Pruitt may have not been the bottom of the barrel grab but he more or less became our Head Coach by default.

Smartt will be Bama's next HBC if he wants it but I don't think he will take it. Pruitt may go to Bama but only if it's by default as in the other 3/4 coaches turn them down.

But, there is a need for realization. All of the good head coaches started their careers as an assistant some where.

I want CP to be as successful here ASAP. If other schools come calling for his services, I hope our AD is smart enough and savvy enough to keep to keep him. Enough of this whole "dream job" bs, make him an offer he can't refuse and make him stay. JMO of course.

Meh. The Vols stunk it up after Neyland for most of the 50's and early 60's. Stunk it up again for half of the 70's and every other year in the 80's. We made a lot of hay off of the Neyland years for a long time and had spurts of success with Dickey, Battle and Majors until Fulmer gave us some consistent success in the 90's and early 2000's. But we're not set up with 6 SEC games a year, one really tough out of conference team and 4 directional teams like we were until divisional play started. Majors coached teams never ran an October gauntlet like modern Vol teams and he had a losing record against every team in the SEC not named Vandy, Kentucky or Ole Miss. They were just spread out over 16 years instead of back to back to back. It's not really that much different from a talent level today than it was any other time between 1960 and 1990, but the schedule is a lot tougher.

As long as Tennessee is in the SEC, we will attract top notch coaches.

So.....do we want Pruitt to succeed, or be mediocre at best. I see arguments in this thread that go both ways. I have never seen a fanbase be afraid that their team might succeed! Hopefully, any success Pruitt has will mean if he leaves, the next candidate will be higher level and have a much better starting point. I am still not convinced he will be Bama's next coach up.

Last edited:
Pruitt wins big here = Pruitt goes to Bama when Saban retires

Pruitt doesn’t win much of anything here = another coaching change in the next 5-10 years.

I know that’s cynical, but it’s the reality. So no, Pruitt is not the long term guy unfortunately. But if he wins big and goes to Bama, we will have our pick of whoever we want.
No it doesn't mean he goes to Bama! That 1st call will be to Dabo Sweeney who played and coached at Alabama plus is from Alabama and is the only one who is consistently beating them now. Why would they call CJP?

CJP will be here for a while unless he creates the next dumpster fire. I don't see that happening at this point as I'm already impressed with the way he is running the program and meshing with Fulmer.

No it doesn't mean he goes to Bama! That 1st call will be to Dabo Sweeney who played and coached at Alabama plus is from Alabama and is the only one who is consistently beating them now. Why would they call CJP?

CJP will be here for a while unless he creates the next dumpster fire. I don't see that happening at this point as I'm already impressed with the way he is running the program and meshing with Fulmer.

Because Dabo isn’t going to Bama. I agree he gets the first call, and the 2nd-10th call, but he ain’t going.

If Pruitt is successful here, he will be the first call after they give up on Dabo.

Gut negativism. We got a man in place who will pursue the best for Vols football now. His first effort (Pruit) was the best, and I think a darn good one at the time. With the mess at UT, not many (mainly untainted) coaches wanted to be here. Can't blame them. But if we have to reach beyond Pruitt, PF's next hire will be high profile with a proven coach.
“Proven coach”es don’t leave what they built until they’re WASHED UP coaches. Rare outliers where you have a proven college coach washes out of the NFL (Saban not Kelly 😉), a proven coach makes a mess of his program after succeeding and starts over fresh at another powerhouse (Urban and Jimbo), or stays at a smaller program an inordinate amount of time before finally moving on (Chris Peterson). Otherwise you’re hiring the burgeoning mid-major HC or red hot assistant. There’s no wrong way if you pick right.

“Proven coach”es don’t leave what they built until they’re WASHED UP coaches. Rare outliers where you have a proven college coach washes out of the NFL (Saban not Kelly 😉), a proven coach makes a mess of his program after succeeding and starts over fresh at another powerhouse (Urban and Jimbo), or stays at a smaller program an inordinate amount of time before finally moving on (Chris Peterson). Otherwise you’re hiring the burgeoning mid-major HC or red hot assistant. There’s no wrong way if you pick right.

Exactly, this idea that you can just throw money at some super successful head coach and get him to come to your program is lunacy. First, the success they have in one place is often like lighting in a bottle, a happy combination of skills, timing and luck and cannot be replicated elsewhere. Consider Lou Holtz or Spurrier for that matter. Works that way elsewhere as well. Had Bill Gates or Steve Jobs been born a decade earlier or later we would probably never have even heard their names.

Pruitt doesn’t win much of anything here = another coaching change in the next 5-10 years.

I know that’s cynical, but it’s the reality. So no, Pruitt is not the long term guy unfortunately. But if he wins big and goes to Bama, we will have our pick of whoever we want.
Saban’s replacement hasn’t been born yet!

We’ve seen the carousel go round for over a decade now. Each time it seems we fall further and further down.

We started with Kiffin, who was one of the hottest names in the market and by most accounts a real get for a program that was just a couple years removed from playing in the SEC championship game.

Once that mattress fire burned out we went with a Dooley, a mediocre at best head coach who had some success (albeit only when compared to a historically bad program’s track record).

That too fizzled out. Our next move? Butch Jones. A coach that had a fair amount of success at a much smaller school (and also lost to the coach we had just fired). But still a man with head coaching experiences.

Now we have gone to Pruitt. A top tier assistant who has proven his worth in that arena, but has no head coaching experience (maybe at the high school level?? I don’t think so).

What’s next? Tennessee is becoming a school more known for sending head coaches to the ranks of interns than for winning big time ball games. Is Pruitt our last “big fish” candidate?
If he performs like most expect him to ? Yes. For the foreseeable future anyway.

If we suck for 25 years all we've got to do is open up the check book and we could get whoever we wanted.

We've sucked because we hire no names and expect them to be elite.

It's no one's fault but UTs that they're where they are.

If we suck for 25 years all we've got to do is open up the check book and we could get whoever we wanted.

We've sucked because we hire no names and expect them to be elite.

It's no one's fault but UTs that they're where they are.

You apparently haven’t been paying attention UT has offered money and opened the check book. Coaches have turned down UT to either go other places or stay where they are.

UT fans is partly to blame for this. I’ve said this since set in his press conference being fired. When the fan base and the university wants to fire a guy that is 152-52, SEC championships, SEC East titles, that is a huge eye opener for coaches everywhere. How can a coach come in and think oh wow they screwed this program up majorly and they want me to fix it but I don’t they will fire me after three seasons.

An elite coach isn’t coming to this team at this point because they know if they do, when they leave they won’t considered an elite coach anymore.

When Saban retires Dabo will be next coach ar Alabama.

Pruitt's not a "big fish" hire. He wasn't even top five for TN, let alone on any other significant program's list. He may win a championship this year for all we know, but not a star hire by any means.

We’ve seen the carousel go round for over a decade now. Each time it seems we fall further and further down.

We started with Kiffin, who was one of the hottest names in the market and by most accounts a real get for a program that was just a couple years removed from playing in the SEC championship game.

Once that mattress fire burned out we went with a Dooley, a mediocre at best head coach who had some success (albeit only when compared to a historically bad program’s track record).

That too fizzled out. Our next move? Butch Jones. A coach that had a fair amount of success at a much smaller school (and also lost to the coach we had just fired). But still a man with head coaching experiences.

Now we have gone to Pruitt. A top tier assistant who has proven his worth in that arena, but has no head coaching experience (maybe at the high school level?? I don’t think so).

What’s next? Tennessee is becoming a school more known for sending head coaches to the ranks of interns than for winning big time ball games. Is Pruitt our last “big fish” candidate?
Kiffin burned us royally by leaving us with our thumb up our butt in Jan...

We settled for Dooley because Kiffin burned us royally. Or should I say Hart, who insisted on leading his own search, was the culprit.

Hart burned us royally by hiring a complete moron whose only accomplishments came after following coaches like Kelly. Jones gloated about recruiting success stories (like Brown and Watt) even though they were more happenstance than an indication of development/scouting ability. He was the epitome of a used car salesman. Shoutouts to Currie and Hamilton for being completely useless puppet heads. Another shoutout to the Haslams for running this program into the ground.

It took a lot of yes-men to get us to where we are now. Think we've finally gotten rid of that mess and are onto calmer seas from here on out. Pruitt can right the ship but so can others. With the right AD we can still pull in some big fish. It's all about timing and willingness to pay ridiculous contracts.

OP are you insinuating that Jeremy Pruitt is the best football head coach UT will ever be able to hire for the rest of time? Lol that’s just silly

Can't criticize the ADs all that much for the football hires.

If a really good coach had wanted to come to UT the AD would have hired him.

The coach has to want to come to UT. The AD can beg, genuflect, offer loads of cash and the coach may still find lots of reasons not to come.

The hires that were made by Athletic Directors are the reason for these posts, they buried this program for more than a decade this is a proud storied
program taken down by INCOMPETENCE trying to hire coaches QUICK and CHEAP, give Bama credit for hiring Saban paying big bucks
and he has put them back on top...……... WE'LL BE BACK...………………………...

I think the whole "If Pruitt wins big he will go to Bama thing is a bit blown out of proportion." Plenty of coaches have turned down their school they played at once they've put in hard work to build a program elsewhere. If he even has that kind of success, I think it depends on when he's offered. After one good season...yeah he probably goes but if he's had several good seasons and even a couple playoff births or such and UT offers just as much or more for him to stay, he will stay.

Just like Dabo will never leave Clemson for Bama. He'd be absolutely crazy to do so.

I have a bit of a different perspective. First of all, Dooley didn’t have a winning season. He did not have success. Butch was a huge upgrade as a coach and staff. He just didn’t possess the “character” he demanded from his players and he ran out of sales pitches and declined as a coach as opposed to growing. His coaches and players ended up bailing.

If he is humble, learns from the past and puts together a different approach to people, I think he does well in the future. He will have to go down in the ranks of programs again to do it.

I think Pruitt on the other hand is a VERY good, high character man. I think he coaches all five years without demanding an extension. He will need all 5 years to get us to the playoffs.

However, next year he will have a chance to do better than any other coach has since Fulmer’s 2007 year where he went 10-4 (6-2 in SEC). If he does that, Fulmer offers him an extension that will keep him around past 2022, which is when we go to the playoffs if at all. That is the smart play by Fulmer.

If Pruitt only gets 8-9 wins next year, I don’t think Fulmer gives him an extension. Part of that depends on whether Chandler meant he wants to restore our program to prominence and he returns for 2020. Regardless, we dip in 2021 or stay the same at best. Again, no extension if saying the same doesn’t equal 10 wins I. 2020.

Again, I do think we go to the playoffs in 2022. Here’s where it gets tricky. If Saban retires, we end up paying Pruitt a LOT more than we would have had to, because Alabama will offer him a ton of money. I think Pruitt stays, because we offer him so much and this becomes his program. Something every coach dreams of more than coaching at their Alma Mater. Plus, why would he want to follow Saban’s dynasty when Tennessee is trending upwards?

It just doesn’t make sense. This just might be one heartbreak Tennessee fans avoid, and frankly it’s the one we want to avoid.

Crazy prediction: IF Pruitt goes to Bama, we hire Kiffin again for a lot less money, and we beat Pruitt. The burn of Pruitt leaving Tennessee for Bama outweighs the burn of a young Kiffin bolting after one year to chase his dream job. Kiffin has had enough of the coasts and heads to Tennessee for redemption by helping Tennessee stay on top of Bama.

I think the whole "If Pruitt wins big he will go to Bama thing is a bit blown out of proportion." Plenty of coaches have turned down their school they played at once they've put in hard work to build a program elsewhere. If he even has that kind of success, I think it depends on when he's offered. After one good season...yeah he probably goes but if he's had several good seasons and even a couple playoff births or such and UT offers just as much or more for him to stay, he will stay.

Just like Dabo will never leave Clemson for Bama. He'd be absolutely crazy to do so.

How would it be crazy though?

He’s already recruiting big at Clemson and can easily recruit to Bama.

It’s not like he’d be starting out from scratch like Pruitt with barely any talent to work with resulting in a complete roster change.

Do I think he should leave Clemson? No. Do I think it’d be a mistake if he did? No.

If Dabo leaves Clemson, he’ll continue to win big whether it’s Bama or another big time school.

VN Store

Back