Is Pruitt Tennessee’s last big time chance?

Pruitt wins big here = Pruitt goes to Bama when Saban retires

Pruitt doesn’t win much of anything here = another coaching change in the next 5-10 years.

I know that’s cynical, but it’s the reality. So no, Pruitt is not the long term guy unfortunately. But if he wins big and goes to Bama, we will have our pick of whoever we want.

That’s a logical assumption. The allure would certainly be there for Pruitt, but there may be no coach in the history of college football who will face more unreasonable or higher expectations than Saban’s immediate successor. And what personal credit would he receive for simply maintaining the monster that Saban created? Following a legend is NEVER an enviable task. The only marquis program that I can think of who successfully navigated such a coaching transition was Nebraska during the Devaney-Osborne run and they played in the Big Eight when it was more properly the “Big Two and Little Six.”

We’ve seen the bargain bin go round for over a decade now. Each time it seems we fall further and further down.

We started with Kiffin, who had amassed a mighty .250 winning percentage. His biggest claim to fame was making Al Davis seem ethical and sane. But to get his salary under the $2MM threshold, Kiffin had a tiny buyout, which lead to......

Derek Dooley, who 2 months earlier, missed out on the University of Memphis job to a RB coach. Derek, with an impressive 17-20 record, did get his breakthrough victory by blowing out.....

Butch Jones, who had decent results riding Brian Kelly's coattails, at 2 mid majors. Butch was a mid major coach through and through and had a middle of the road SEC salary. Butch had demonstrated that he didn't know what to do with an All Pro player (JJ Watt) so was experienced in how to deal with Alvin Kamara. Butch did have a milestone victory blowing out Iowa, which a couple years later scored 56 points against....

Greg Schiano's defense at Ohio State. Although toxic to pretty much every fanbase due to results at Tampa and a Penn State connection, his price-tag was right for those in charge until UT fans decided to speak up.....

AIGHT

Fixed your thread

Reactions: Woke
Huge difference between when the 3 losers (Lame, Doofus and Botch) were here. We now have a different AD. The only reason we have went through the last decade was because of brain dead ADs.

The nature of the divisions makes it more likely for Arkansas to have bad seasons year after year after year.

The East isn’t like that and a lot what Tennessee has experienced is self inflicted. There is no reason for a power school in this division to be this bad this long with two baked wins on the schedule (Vandy/KY).

If Arkansas is winning, it not only means Arkansas is doing something right, it means the folks at Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M are screwing up.

Same for Missouri. In order to win, they have to do things right, but Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina have to help them.

Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree that these are long term, entrenched issues that would prevent a school from never being a legit contender, or facing a "last chance" scenario. But I can see why you would think differently. I would say, that your inclusion of A@M in your list of roadblocks somewhat cuts both ways. They arguably are the poster child of how simply being in the conference raises your program to that of a team that is always going to be the right hire away from being a handful.

We’ve seen the carousel go round for over a decade now. Each time it seems we fall further and further down.

We started with Kiffin, who was one of the hottest names in the market and by most accounts a real get for a program that was just a couple years removed from playing in the SEC championship game.

Once that mattress fire burned out we went with a Dooley, a mediocre at best head coach who had some success (albeit only when compared to a historically bad program’s track record).

That too fizzled out. Our next move? Butch Jones. A coach that had a fair amount of success at a much smaller school (and also lost to the coach we had just fired). But still a man with head coaching experiences.

Now we have gone to Pruitt. A top tier assistant who has proven his worth in that arena, but has no head coaching experience (maybe at the high school level?? I don’t think so).

What’s next? Tennessee is becoming a school more known for sending head coaches to the ranks of interns than for winning big time ball games. Is Pruitt our last “big fish” candidate?

1. Kiffin quit UT, and you see how his career has gone since...........so...........not missing him
2. Dooley was a paper tiger.............all name, no results
3. Butch, he had his moments, but not ready for the SEC, and basically destroyed his own career, now he is fixing Saban's coffe, taking out his laundry and washing his car.
4. The root cause to this whole mess was Administration, they meddled in something they had no idea or the where with all to comprehend the magnitude of UT Sports and its impact on the University. Phillip Fulmer will right this ship in all areas of UT Sports. I just hope the damage those previous numb nuts inflicted isn't long term or permanent.
5. Just to add, sports writers have not clue as to what it takes to build a program, most of what they say, to me, lacks any substance or weight...............it's jibber jadder

Can't criticize the ADs all that much for the football hires.

If a really good coach had wanted to come to UT the AD would have hired him.

The coach has to want to come to UT. The AD can beg, genuflect, offer loads of cash and the coach may still find lots of reasons not to come.

I really think you are missing the point, the previous UT ADs had no clue as to who to hire and they certainly were not willing to pay the kind of money it takes to bring the right coach, but, UT ended up paying out any way didn't they?

So what is your real question?
Is pruitt Tennessee’s last big time chance ?

OR

Is Pruitt our last “big fish” candidate?

Kinda confusing

Well, your argument is succinct and difficult to refute. But I'll try.

If you have essentially unlimited resources- which in the context of NCAAF teams in the SEC do, then you have whatever facilities you want, recruiting budge you want, etc. If you are in the SEC, every game you play is on television, so you have as much exposure as anyone in the country. If you are in the SEC, you are playing against top competition and getting players in the league. Those things are essentially what drives recruiting. Therefore, you are essentially only the right coach away form winning the East/competing for the SEC/making it to the playoffs.

My reaction was due to the Vandy/ Dabo statement. The rest I agree with

Reactions: volgrad500
If it goes the absolute best it can go: Pruitt is at Bama after wining a lot of games at Tennessee. (Championships etc)

If it goes middle of the road or worse: Pruitt will be shown the door along with Fulmer and the old guard hand picks the next man up.

The nature of the divisions makes it more likely for Arkansas to have bad seasons year after year after year.

The East isn’t like that and a lot what Tennessee has experienced is self inflicted. There is no reason for a power school in this division to be this bad this long with two baked wins on the schedule (Vandy/KY).

If Arkansas is winning, it not only means Arkansas is doing something right, it means the folks at Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M are screwing up.

Same for Missouri. In order to win, they have to do things right, but Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina have to help them.

Hell thats the most logically thing I’ve read all day.

Nice job

Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree that these are long term, entrenched issues that would prevent a school from never being a legit contender, or facing a "last chance" scenario. But I can see why you would think differently. I would say, that your inclusion of A@M in your list of roadblocks somewhat cuts both ways. They arguably are the poster child of how simply being in the conference raises your program to that of a team that is always going to be the right hire away from being a handful.

A&M is new to the league, so we’ll see.

Some of these folks we have almost a 30 year sample size now.

South Carolina has made the SEC title game once. Vanderbilt and KY never have.

Ole Miss has never made it. Miss State made it once. Arkansas has only made it 3 times I think.

And look up the years these schools did it. What was going on at Alabama, LSU and Auburn when Miss State went in 98? What were those schools doing when Arkansas made it?

Every Florida coach has won the division or tied for 1st in the division except Mullen who just got there. Alabama has gotten there with 3 coaches. Auburn with 4 coaches.

In Florida’s case, two of those coaches were fired. Auburn fired 3 of theirs and the current one is on the hot seat.

So, I don’t believe all these programs are on close to equal footing with just the right coach.

Also, keep in mind these other schools are given a built in schedule advantage. How would you like to be the West team that gets Vandy every year?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtnvol80
Pruitt wins big here = Pruitt goes to Bama when Saban retires

Pruitt doesn’t win much of anything here = another coaching change in the next 5-10 years.

I know that’s cynical, but it’s the reality. So no, Pruitt is not the long term guy unfortunately. But if he wins big and goes to Bama, we will have our pick of whoever we want.

If Pruitt wins big in the next 2 years - lets say 8-9 wins this year and 10-11 wins in 2020 - and Bama comes calling, I am seriously concerned. If he can go another year or two with a 10+ win reg season and maybe an SEC E win and a final 6 bowl, I think he stays no matter what. Fulmer will back up the truck and Chaney looks to be staying for the duration. I think Pruitt would want to build his own legend rather than follow Saban, even though he totally idolizes him.

I dont think Dabo or Richt are going anywhere either when Bama calls. Better to be massively appreciated where you are than under the shadow of Saban's historic success.

Reactions: RollerVol
One idiot pulls his mattress out of his dorm room and sets it on fire and from then of for years after we're all a bunch of mattress burners.

And petition signers. And protesters. And twitter twits. If some do it, we are all known as it. Oh well at least we aren't wooers. Oh, wait.

Reactions: Hacksaw
don't believe Pruitt, Saban, or Dabo are going anywhere...they will stay where they are for years to come...I'm more concerned with "right now"...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

So.....do we want Pruitt to succeed, or be mediocre at best. I see arguments both ways. I have never seen a fanbase be afraid that their team might succeed! Hopefully, any success Pruitt has will mean if he leaves, the next candidate will be higher level and have a much better starting point. I am still not convinced he will be Bama's next coach up.

I don't think Pruitt was a "big fish" hire. How many other P5 teams were trying to hire him?

I like JP and think he can be HC we have needed the last 10 years

So.....do we want Pruitt to succeed, or be mediocre at best. I see arguments both ways. I have never seen a fanbase be afraid that their team might succeed! Hopefully, any success Pruitt has will mean if he leaves, the next candidate will be higher level and have a much better starting point. I am still not convinced he will be Bama's next coach up.

I would rather beat Bama on the field and lose Pruitt to them than continue losing to them on the field...

Reactions: onevol74
If we're going to make a big time hire we have to be willing to pay akin to what A&M paid Jumbo and we're going to have to have a better roster base for the next guy to start with, primarily on the lines. If CJP can get the lines back up to snuff, UTAD needs to be ready to make a move quickly if the wins aren't coming.

Pruitt has always been around football. Butch was member of a band.

All kidding aside, WHEN Pruitt has success, retain him! I've been fooled before with the coaching changes. But, I firmly believe we finally found our coach! Go Vols!

We’ve seen the carousel go round for over a decade now. Each time it seems we fall further and further down.

We started with Kiffin, who was one of the hottest names in the market and by most accounts a real get for a program that was just a couple years removed from playing in the SEC championship game.

Once that mattress fire burned out we went with a Dooley, a mediocre at best head coach who had some success (albeit only when compared to a historically bad program’s track record).

That too fizzled out. Our next move? Butch Jones. A coach that had a fair amount of success at a much smaller school (and also lost to the coach we had just fired). But still a man with head coaching experiences.

Now we have gone to Pruitt. A top tier assistant who has proven his worth in that arena, but has no head coaching experience (maybe at the high school level?? I don’t think so).

What’s next? Tennessee is becoming a school more known for sending head coaches to the ranks of interns than for winning big time ball games. Is Pruitt our last “big fish” candidate?

I have a bit of a different perspective. First of all, Dooley didn’t have a winning season. He did not have success. Butch was a huge upgrade as a coach and staff. He just didn’t possess the “character” he demanded from his players and he ran out of sales pitches and declined as a coach as opposed to growing. His coaches and players ended up bailing.

If he is humble, learns from the past and puts together a different approach to people, I think he does well in the future. He will have to go down in the ranks of programs again to do it.

I think Pruitt on the other hand is a VERY good, high character man. I think he coaches all five years without demanding an extension. He will need all 5 years to get us to the playoffs.

However, next year he will have a chance to do better than any other coach has since Fulmer’s 2007 year where he went 10-4 (6-2 in SEC). If he does that, Fulmer offers him an extension that will keep him around past 2022, which is when we go to the playoffs if at all. That is the smart play by Fulmer.

If Pruitt only gets 8-9 wins next year, I don’t think Fulmer gives him an extension. Part of that depends on whether Chandler meant he wants to restore our program to prominence and he returns for 2020. Regardless, we dip in 2021 or stay the same at best. Again, no extension if saying the same doesn’t equal 10 wins I. 2020.

Again, I do think we go to the playoffs in 2022. Here’s where it gets tricky. If Saban retires, we end up paying Pruitt a LOT more than we would have had to, because Alabama will offer him a ton of money. I think Pruitt stays, because we offer him so much and this becomes his program. Something every coach dreams of more than coaching at their Alma Mater. Plus, why would he want to follow Saban’s dynasty when Tennessee is trending upwards?

It just doesn’t make sense. This just might be one heartbreak Tennessee fans avoid, and frankly it’s the one we want to avoid.

Crazy prediction: IF Pruitt goes to Bama, we hire Kiffin again for a lot less money, and we beat Pruitt. The burn of Pruitt leaving Tennessee for Bama outweighs the burn of a young Kiffin bolting after one year to chase his dream job. Kiffin has had enough of the coasts and heads to Tennessee for redemption by helping Tennessee stay on top of Bama.

I think Saban stays in Tuscaloosa long enough for the Pruitt-to-Bama window to close.
The best anyone stepping into Tuscaloosa can hope for is to maintain the status quo.
An established successful coach will find that less attractive than a coach with something to prove.
SEC schools have to watch the Jimbo to aTm gambit play out.
Jimbo's success or failure will have repercussions when Saban retires.

Tennessee's problem is the fan base. We can blame coaches or ADs or Haslams, but our collective spending outweighs all of that. We gobble up what ever garbage they put on our plate and we ask for more. We rarely ask for accountability(I would have said never before the Schiano attempted hire), we keep on spending and the administration knows they don't have to get it right to get our money. When the rest of the administration could care less if we win, we just keep spending. That is a recipe for mediocrity and that's exactly what we have been served. Fulmer at least has some sense of accountability, I just hope it's enough.

VN Store

Back