Is Pruitt a Dead Man Walking?

Pruitt is going to get another year. He's lighting up the recruiting better than any of the previous 3 coaches and that is going to pay off over time. His biggest mistake was siticking with JG. If he had developed Maurer or Shrout by now and let them take some lumps, either one of them would be playing better. You put Joe Burrow behind our offense and we would be winning.

Does anyone out there agree with me that CC really needs to be dismissed?? He is making a mockery out of play calling. And I think he ate the play book at the end of our second game.

Reactions: RockyTopTexas
Tennessee‘s endowment is approximately 1.4 billion dollars. I do not know if all that has to go to areas other than sports, but Butch‘s payments are almost finished. Plus, we have donors who might help, because Tennessee football is important, and was, from the beginning.

Pruitt is not a Head Coach. His interest is only defense. If his staff could have covered for him, it’s hasn’t happened. I hope when he is replaced, we get a Head Coach whose expertise is the Quarterback position (still the most important position on the field), and the Offensive side of football.

I always backed Coach Fulmer, but it seemed as if every game was a nail biter, few blowouts. I’ve seen enough conservative football to last a lifetime. I hope we get a Head Coach who expects to win every game. There may be games where the expectations are not promising, but no one should say, we “should” lose a game. We Never “should” lose a game, not to anyone.

Mullen started at Florida when Pruitt started at Tennessee, but he acted like a Head Coach, when he got there. Pruitt‘s excuses for losing, began when he walked in the door. Florida got a real Head Coach, Tennessee did not. We can do better.

The obvious comparison is Mullen at Florida, and Pruitt at Tennessee. They began at these schools the same year, and Florida is one of our rivals. Before excuses, let’s look. The W-L record is very comparable before each was hired.

TN
2015 9-4 won Outback Bowl
2016 9-4 won Music City
2017 4-8
then, Pruitt hired
2018 5-7
2019 8-5 won Gator
2020 2-1

FL
2015 10-4 lost Citrus
2016 9-4 won Outback
2017 4-7
then, Mullen hired
2018 10-3 won Orange
2019 11-2 won Peach
2020 2-1

Florida hired a proven and successful, Offensively minded, Head Coach. Tennessee hired a defensive coordinator who had never been a Head Coach.

Mullen and Pruitt came to their respective schools with totally different mindsets toward the teams they inherited. Pruitt came in and basically said I have to totally replace these players with my own, before I can be expected to win. Mullen came in with the exact opposite approach, and embraced all his players on the roster. He made every effort to win over his players who had been recruited by the previous Coach.

They also treated the quarterback position (the most important position on the field), differently. Mullen prepared ALL his quarterbacks to be ready to go on the field and play at a high level at any time, if needed. Pruitt did not. Worse, he picked a quarterback and stuck with him, no matter how poorly he played in games.

So, for the future quarterbacks out there, which team looks more attractive? Which team has the better Head Coach? Which team will be more successful?

It’s that time again. Tennessee can do better.

Last edited:
Everyone, let's just become Alabama fans. They actually win Championships and don't lose 13-14 straight games to their rivals. Our lives will be a lot more happy cheering on the Tide. No more stupid JG, stupid coaching hires, or stupid administration.
It’s a thought, a sad thought.

Tennessee‘s endowment is approximately 1.4 billion dollars. I do not know if all that has to go to areas other than sports, but Butch‘s payments are almost finished. Plus, we have donors who might help, because Tennessee football is important, and was, from the beginning.

Pruitt is not a Head Coach. His interest is only defense. If his staff could have covered for him, it’s hasn’t happened. I hope when he is replaced, we get a Head Coach whose expertise is the Quarterback position (still the most important position on the field), and the Offensive side of football.

I always backed Coach Fulmer, but it seemed as if every game was a nail biter, few blowouts. I’ve seen enough conservative football to last a lifetime. I hope we get a Head Coach who expects to win every game. There may be games where the expectations are not promising, but no one should say, we “should” lose a game. We Never “should” lose a game, not to anyone.

Mullen started at Florida when Pruitt started at Tennessee, but he acted like a Head Coach, when he got there. Pruitt‘s excuses for losing, began when he walked in the door. Florida got a real Head Coach, Tennessee did not. We can do better.

The obvious comparison is Mullen at Florida, and Pruitt at Tennessee. They began at these schools the same year, and Florida is one of our rivals. Before excuses, let’s look. The W-L record is very comparable before each was hired.

TN
2015 9-4 won Outback Bowl
2016 9-4 won Music City
2017 4-8
then, Pruitt hired
2018 5-7
2019 8-5 won Gator
2020 2-1

FL
2015 10-4 lost Citrus
2016 9-4 won Outback
2017 4-7
then, Mullen hired
2018 10-3 won Orange
2019 11-2 won Peach
2020 2-1

Florida hired a proven and successful, Offensively minded, Head Coach. Tennessee hired a defensive coordinator who had never been a Head Coach.

Mullen and Pruitt came to their respective schools with totally different mindsets toward the teams they inherited. Pruitt came in and basically said I have to totally replace these players with my own, before I can be expected to win. Mullen came in with the exact opposite approach, and embraced all his players on the roster. He made every effort to win over his players who had been recruited by the previous Coach.

They also treated the quarterback position (the most important position on the field), differently. Mullen prepared ALL his quarterbacks to be ready to go on the field and play at a high level at any time, if needed. Pruitt did not. Worse, he picked a quarterback and stuck with him, no matter how poorly he played in games.

So, for the future quarterbacks out there, which team looks more attractive? Which team has the better Coach? Which team will be more successful?

It’s that time again. Tennessee can do better.

Good points and I agree. Was concerned when we hired a defensive coordinator with a good record but who had done so with 5 star talent.... at FSU, UGA and Bama. It's difficult to evaluate any coach that has that kind of player talent to work with, especially a defensive coordinator.

At minimum a head coach needs somebody on staff that knows how to develop QB's.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back