Is it just us...

I understand your general point but 93-2000 v Florida is a stretch. UT had good teams but Florida dominated that stretch going 7-1 with an average margin of victory just shy of two TD’s. UF had wins of +31 and +25 in that stretch and in another game got up 35-0 in Neyland before the National Anthem was even finished, against one of UT’s best ever teams. UT’s only win during this stretch was a home overtime squeaker.

If it makes you feel better, UT’s 2001 win in the Swamp was one that will stick with every Gator fan for life. UT played the best game they’ve ever played against UF, in my opinion, and beat one of Spurrier’s best teams, arguably the best team he had and very likely cost him his second National Title. Hats off for that one.

Yes. Agree that 95-97 Florida was a dominating team and likely a more complete team. I was thinking more about 99 and 00. Those were winnable games for TN. Also 93 was a shootout. TN probably stole winsin 98 and 01. 2014,2015,2017 were ridiculous.

Reactions: Jaws
Or do other teams have complete mental breakdowns against their rivals over and over again. I don’t know why, but I was driving today and getting angry about all of the games we have blown to Florida and Bama over the years when we were just as good and in some cases better. (Not Bama over the past 10 years as they have been better than everyone). I’m talking Florida from 1993-2000 and 2014 through even last year. Just complete mental breakdowns (idiotic turnovers, Hail Marys, coaching blunders, playing worst game of the year). I’m talking Bama from 1989-1994 (ultra conservative, field goal contests when we averaged 30 pts a game). Ridiculous that we lost every single one of the games above (except 98, 2016 fl). You can’t tell me we didn’t have equal or better talent each of those year yet the same result: a mental breakdown. Not sure why I’m worked up about this tonight. Just wondering- have any other teams had these sorts of complete breakdowns against one specific team or is it just us? Sorry for the novel here.
Kentucky says Hey.

No team has beaten Alabama more than Tennessee.
Still true at the moment. However, we need to get our rears in gear and beat them some cause Auburn is coming up in our rearview mirror.

Conference Records vs. Bama (w/o ties):

UT, 38-55
AUB, 36-46
UGA, 25-40
LSU, 25-53
VANDY, 19-59
MSU, 18-81
UF, 14-25
MISS, 11-50
ARK, 8-19
SC, 4-10
MIZZ, 2-4
UK, 2-37

To the larger point, no, it isn't just us, all of the great historic rivalries have their ebbs and flows. It's a fun thing to study for some perspective.

Or do other teams have complete mental breakdowns against their rivals over and over again. I don’t know why, but I was driving today and getting angry about all of the games we have blown to Florida and Bama over the years when we were just as good and in some cases better. (Not Bama over the past 10 years as they have been better than everyone). I’m talking Florida from 1993-2000 and 2014 through even last year. Just complete mental breakdowns (idiotic turnovers, Hail Marys, coaching blunders, playing worst game of the year). I’m talking Bama from 1989-1994 (ultra conservative, field goal contests when we averaged 30 pts a game). Ridiculous that we lost every single one of the games above (except 98, 2016 fl). You can’t tell me we didn’t have equal or better talent each of those year yet the same result: a mental breakdown. Not sure why I’m worked up about this tonight. Just wondering- have any other teams had these sorts of complete breakdowns against one specific team or is it just us? Sorry for the novel here.
Dude, you really need to think about something else.

To the larger point, no, it isn't just us, all of the great historic rivalries have their ebbs and flows. It's a fun thing to study for some perspective.

Agree with ebbs and flows. Football is funny for a lot of teams because it takes a special player or coach to change the landscape of a team. Neyland had one of the greatest runs for the vols with defense and Fulmer was a offense guy. I think Pruit is building defenses that will sprinkle in average to good offense. The special teams especially punters and kickers are key. How many wins ended up being loses in Butch's era were a direct result of field goals missed during games. I'm not talking about 50 yarders! I'm talking about 30 to 35 yarders.

This is what has plagued UT and why a lot of this rivalries like Alabama have fallen off because we can't get those precious points that keep you end games!

The one team who is on a bad run, even though they recruit out the a$$ but have come up short with talent, is Georgia. A national championship game loss to bamer and then loose a SEC championship game against bamer. This is a budding rivalry that the dogs find themselves on the back end of already! I suspect the vols will get their heads screwed on right again, it just takes time to overcome our problem, the media which we are a part of.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
As far as the losses to Florida goes, I really have no answer. We havent had sustained success against them in over 50 years. Since we started a yearly game with UF in 1990, we have won 7 times. Even in 98 it took an overtime miracle to beat them. Again, I have no answer to it.

Yes. Agree that 95-97 Florida was a dominating team and likely a more complete team. I was thinking more about 99 and 00. Those were winnable games for TN. Also 93 was a shootout. TN probably stole winsin 98 and 01. 2014,2015,2017 were ridiculous.

Agree mostly. That 2013 game was unwatchable football, both ways, has to go down as the worst in series history. Y’all had Peterman throwing up on himself, we had linemen tackling each other, in between not being about to execute a shotgun snap for an entire quarter.

As far as the losses to Florida goes, I really have no answer. We havent had sustained success against them in over 50 years. Since we started a yearly game with UF in 1990, we have won 7 times. Even in 98 it took an overtime miracle to beat them. Again, I have no answer to it.

The series got out of hand when the combo of Zook/Muschamp/McElwain somehow went 7-3 versus UT. Muschamp at 4-0 was flukish. UT should have won at least two of those games.

You’ll see the intensity crank-up again after UT reels off 2 or 3 in a row. Right now, for Florida fans, the LSU game is what UT used to be.

Agree mostly. That 2013 game was unwatchable football, both ways, has to go down as the worst in series history. Y’all had Peterman throwing up on himself, we had linemen tackling each other, in between not being about to execute a shotgun snap for an entire quarter.
I had successfully blocked that game from my memory, so thanks for that. Last year was one of the most disappointing losses we've had in recent years to y'all. We were not good last year, and probably still would have lost with a good effort but we weren't as bad as we looked, we just totally crapped the bed and looked like a bunch of guys who just met for a pick up game and decided to throw on pads and play the Florida Gators.

I understand your general point but 93-2000 v Florida is a stretch. UT had good teams but Florida dominated that stretch going 7-1 with an average margin of victory just shy of two TD’s. UF had wins of +31 and +25 in that stretch and in another game got up 35-0 in Neyland before the National Anthem was even finished, against one of UT’s best ever teams. UT’s only win during this stretch was a home overtime squeaker.

But I have a VHS tape titled Decade of Dominance.

I think that’s the issue though. The Florida game has not “ebbed and flowed”.
IDK, UT won 15 of the first 22, UF has won 21 of the last 26. That's kinda ebby flowy. When I was a kid Georgia used to beat Florida every year almost, and even though Florida would usually be ranked higher, then Spurrier came and flipped the script. Now that rivalry has evened up more in the last dozen years or so. The wheel will turn in this one eventually as well.

But I have a VHS tape titled Decade of Dominance.
Heck, we did go 45-5 from 1995 to 1998, that's pretty dominant, it's just we lost 3 of the 5 to Florida, it was just a bad break that they were in our division, along with Nebraska and Florida State our two programs were the winningest teams of the decade..

Last edited:
I would venture to say the culture of the athletic department for the last 30 years has been not to hire a coach with stones. That’s why we seem snakebit. Yes, Fulmer won a natty, but that largely came from UF uncharacteristicly giving that game away, the Stoener fumble, and UCLA (who would’ve drilled us) inexplicably losing to Miami in a make up game at the end of the year to knock themselves out of the natty game and giving it to a Chris Weinke-less FSU team who was playing with “the rooster” at QB. We were gifted that natty and anyone who argues otherwise is in denial. Spurrier had stones of titanium and he’s got the rings and wins over his rivals to prove it

Still true at the moment. However, we need to get our rears in gear and beat them some cause Auburn is coming up in our rearview mirror.

Conference Records vs. Bama (w/o ties):

UT, 38-55
AUB, 36-46
UGA, 25-40
LSU, 25-53
VANDY, 19-59
MSU, 18-81
UF, 14-25
MISS, 11-50
ARK, 8-19
SC, 4-10
MIZZ, 2-4
UK, 2-37

The sad thing is that we were getting close to .500 before the saban era. The last 10-12 years have destroyed what was once a legitimate rivalry. Same thing with Florida and Georgia the last 12 years have killed our head to head records.

VN Store

Back