Is it just us...

PhoenixAZVol

Or do other teams have complete mental breakdowns against their rivals over and over again. I don’t know why, but I was driving today and getting angry about all of the games we have blown to Florida and Bama over the years when we were just as good and in some cases better. (Not Bama over the past 10 years as they have been better than everyone). I’m talking Florida from 1993-2000 and 2014 through even last year. Just complete mental breakdowns (idiotic turnovers, Hail Marys, coaching blunders, playing worst game of the year). I’m talking Bama from 1989-1994 (ultra conservative, field goal contests when we averaged 30 pts a game). Ridiculous that we lost every single one of the games above (except 98, 2016 fl). You can’t tell me we didn’t have equal or better talent each of those year yet the same result: a mental breakdown. Not sure why I’m worked up about this tonight. Just wondering- have any other teams had these sorts of complete breakdowns against one specific team or is it just us? Sorry for the novel here.

Naw, ain't just us and we used to have the same effects on the likes of Kentucky, Memphis and other hapless opponents of yore. What I suspect is we may be the only ones to want to persistently moan and whine about our loses in a public forum and elsewhere. I hate that as much as I hate the loses. Probably that's just me.

face-with-rolling-eyes.png

Naw, ain't just us and we used to have the same effects on the likes of Kentucky, Memphis and other hapless opponents of yore. What I suspect is we may be the only ones to want to persistently moan and whine about our loses in a public forum and elsewhere. I hate that as much as I hate the loses. Probably that's just me.

I don't know and I don't really care enough to research it, but besides the likes of Vandy and Kentucky, how many other teams have gone 10-12 years without a win against a "rival"?

I absolutely agree with you about "us" persistently moaning and whining about it. "Boofrigginhoo Vandy owns us, boohoo Florida always beats us and its okay to say it over and over and over...because its the truth!!!!"

Just go to another thread and say "We gone whip Vandys ass this year" or "I think we beat Florida this year".

There was usually a talent gap but USC beat UCLA every year except for one season from 1999-2011. That’s the only one that I could find. Any other big rivalry, the longest streak you will see is around 6-8 games. You have to look back to the early 1900s to find the more dominant streaks between rivals but even then, there’s not too many that stretch more than 10 games. Oklahoma owns everyone in the Big 12 not named Texas. Go look at their record against the teams in their conference and that might make you feel a little better.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
There was usually a talent gap but USC beat UCLA every year except for one season from 1999-2011. That’s the only one that I could find. Any other big rivalry, the longest streak you will see is around 6-8 games. You have to look back to the early 1900s to find the more dominant streaks between rivals but even then, there’s not too many that stretch more than 10 games. Oklahoma owns everyone in the Big 12 not named Texas. Go look at their record against the teams in their conference and that might make you feel a little better.

Could it be that Alabama and Florida no longer meet the definition of our rival? Frankly Bama only has two rivals - Clemson and Auburn as those are the only teams who have competed with them in what is almost yearly contests. Florida’s only real rival is LSU as they seem to trade wins fairly regularly. The Gators still regularly beat most of the bottom dwellers of the SEC including us but have started being the whipping boy for Georgia. The Bulldogs and Auburn are decent rivals. Bottom line is that if you’re not winning at least 1 of 3 games it’s hard for me to classify another team as a rival. I guess Kentucky is our main rival game now? If we can beat the USCe laying hens and Candy this year perhaps they can move back into our rival series. Frankly we haven’t been rivals of Bama since 2006 and Florida since 2004.

Reactions: vettefool

I suppose you want to get on here and be happy when we lose? I don't understand fans like that. If you're okay with losing and you don't get upset with it I don't know how you can call yourself a true fan.

I suppose you want to get on here and be happy when we lose? I don't understand fans like that. If you're okay with losing and you don't get upset with it I don't know how you can call yourself a true fan.

No sense in trying to talk or debate with someone who can't read. Carry on, sir, carry on.

Could it be that Alabama and Florida no longer meet the definition of our rival? Frankly Bama only has two rivals - Clemson and Auburn as those are the only teams who have competed with them in what is almost yearly contests. Florida’s only real rival is LSU as they seem to trade wins fairly regularly. The Gators still regularly beat most of the bottom dwellers of the SEC including us but have started being the whipping boy for Georgia. The Bulldogs and Auburn are decent rivals. Bottom line is that if you’re not winning at least 1 of 3 games it’s hard for me to classify another team as a rival. I guess Kentucky is our main rival game now? If we can beat the USCe laying hens and Candy this year perhaps they can move back into our rival series. Frankly we haven’t been rivals of Bama since 2006 and Florida since 2004.

No team has beaten Alabama more than Tennessee.

The only school in the country that sees UT as their biggest rival (the team they dislike and want to beat the most) is Vandy. Tennessee's biggest is and always will be Alabama (by most accounts).

The only school in the country that sees UT as their biggest rival (the team they dislike and want to beat the most) is Vandy. Tennessee's biggest is and always will be Alabama (by most accounts).
Bama is the GAME for us older fans, but I think the future will see Florida become more heated for Vol fans. I'll also say that in football Kentucky hates us more than Vandy.

Reactions: JJH and Volatility
The issue IMO is that we have had deficiencies in the coaching staff in preparing the team for games against rivals. The team can be talented and still lose because they are unprepared, either from a lack luster week of practice or are allowed to let their emotions dictate their approach to the game. The thing that needs to change is preparation of the team by the coaching staff. If CJP and company can overcome this flaw in our design it will be because they are able to change the culture in the locker room and can teach our team to have a winning mentality with a confidence that comes from ability and knowing their job. If the coaches can make those changed in the locker room, that will supersede the emotion that is tied to a big game or a rivalry game.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Bama is the GAME for us older fans, but I think the future will see Florida become more heated for Vol fans. I'll also say that in football Kentucky hates us more than Vandy.
Personally ....I'd rather beat UF than anybody.:)
UK might hate UT, but they also have Louisville. My UK friends would rather beat UL.

It's kind of like watching the UT Mens BB team. We can be up 3,256 points in the first half but, for decades we come out flat in the second half and allow our opponents to catch up and or surpass us. Maddening as HELL!!

Reactions: FLVOL_79
The issue is, and it pains me to say this, that us fans put Tennessee athletics on a pedestal that it probably shouldnt be on. Our basketball team has always been lacklustrr with a few flashes of brilliance. Hopefully the football program can get back to quasi elite status or better. Gonna need a good crop of new Qbs and punters for that though.

Or do other teams have complete mental breakdowns against their rivals over and over again. I don’t know why, but I was driving today and getting angry about all of the games we have blown to Florida and Bama over the years when we were just as good and in some cases better. (Not Bama over the past 10 years as they have been better than everyone). I’m talking Florida from 1993-2000 and 2014 through even last year. Just complete mental breakdowns (idiotic turnovers, Hail Marys, coaching blunders, playing worst game of the year). I’m talking Bama from 1989-1994 (ultra conservative, field goal contests when we averaged 30 pts a game). Ridiculous that we lost every single one of the games above (except 98, 2016 fl). You can’t tell me we didn’t have equal or better talent each of those year yet the same result: a mental breakdown. Not sure why I’m worked up about this tonight. Just wondering- have any other teams had these sorts of complete breakdowns against one specific team or is it just us? Sorry for the novel here.

I understand your general point but 93-2000 v Florida is a stretch. UT had good teams but Florida dominated that stretch going 7-1 with an average margin of victory just shy of two TD’s. UF had wins of +31 and +25 in that stretch and in another game got up 35-0 in Neyland before the National Anthem was even finished, against one of UT’s best ever teams. UT’s only win during this stretch was a home overtime squeaker.

If it makes you feel better, UT’s 2001 win in the Swamp was one that will stick with every Gator fan for life. UT played the best game they’ve ever played against UF, in my opinion, and beat one of Spurrier’s best teams, arguably the best team he had and very likely cost him his second National Title. Hats off for that one.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I understand your general point but 93-2000 v Florida is a stretch. UT had good teams but Florida dominated that stretch going 7-1 with an average margin of victory just shy of two TD’s. UF had wins of +31 and +25 in that stretch and in another game got up 35-0 in Neyland before the National Anthem was even finished, against one of UT’s best ever teams. UT’s only win during this stretch was a home overtime squeaker.

If it makes you feel better, UT’s 2001 win in the Swamp was one that will stick with every Gator fan for life. UT played the best game they’ve ever played against UF, in my opinion, and beat one of Spurrier’s best teams, arguably the best team he had and very likely cost him his second National Title. Hats off for that one.
What's your point?

I don't know and I don't really care enough to research it, but besides the likes of Vandy and Kentucky, how many other teams have gone 10-12 years without a win against a "rival"?

I absolutely agree with you about "us" persistently moaning and whining about it. "Boofrigginhoo Vandy owns us, boohoo Florida always beats us and its okay to say it over and over and over...because its the truth!!!!"

Just go to another thread and say "We gone whip Vandys ass this year" or "I think we beat Florida this year".

What’s your point?

VN Store

Back