Is Hooker Huepel's Dobbs?

Volsfan1313

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
What are you huffing?
DeliriousBelovedCooter-size_restricted.gif

Butch had no post Dobbs strategy. Dormady was tall and slow for his system. JG was a fraud who had no business playing at a SEC program with standards.

While Dobbs saved a lot of games, he set a standard of winning that Butch just didn’t recruit for when Dobbs was gone. Heupel clearly has that planned for. The portal helps as well if we have to resort to it

I love Josh Dobbs, but no, and here’s why:
1. He has developed elite offenses with elite quarterbacks in every school he has been at.
2. He has already achieved more here in under 2 years than Jones did in his tenure with Dobbs.

Other 3 bowl appearances, all wins, Heupel is already beating Jones is several important success metrics like ranked wins, or is close like number of weeks ranked. His quality of wins and so on blow Jones away.

The thing is he has done it in 24 games to Jones 63.

Last edited:
Dobbs excelled in spite of coaching and willed his team to wins in spite of being led by a nerd with a chart. Hooker excelled in large part due to coaching, which isn’t a knock on him. Great players bring the talent and are coachable and get better when coached by competent people. Hooker did that, but I dare say Hooker needed Heupel, whereas Heupel has a bit of a resume of being a kingmaker for quarterbacks. I only wish Dobbs had a coach like Heupel while he was here. I can’t imagine.

Dobbs excelled in spite of coaching and willed his team to wins in spite of being led by a nerd with a chart. Hooker excelled in large part due to coaching, which isn’t a knock on him. Great players bring the talent and are coachable and get better when coached by competent people. Hooker did that, but I dare say Hooker needed Heupel, whereas Heupel has a bit of a resume of being a kingmaker for quarterbacks. I only wish Dobbs had a coach like Heupel while he was here. I can’t imagine.

Agree totally. Jones misused athletic talent and failed to develop it properly. He won because his athletes were so good anyway they could sometimes win despite his game mistakes.

Agree totally. Jones misused athletic talent and failed to develop it properly. He won because his athletes were so good anyway they could sometimes win despite his game mistakes.
Yeah, in fact, Dobbs may have never even played here if Butch had had way. Played his first year after first two went down, and he showed incredible ability and potential especially against Bama. He was not Justin Worley, though, and didn’t practice as well as Butch liked. So, the same nerd that kept JJ Watt down at CMU had Dobbs benched again in his sophomore year, but when he finally got the chance, there was no going back. Butch wouldn’t have lasted past year 3 without Dobbs. I don’t think that guy has ever earned a thing he’s gotten.

VN Store

Back