Is Hendon Hooker still a Heisman contender?

They were always going to give it to Stroud. If he beats Michigan there’s zero way Hooker gets it. It’s always been an irrelevant award. They flat out decided not to give it to Manning when there was no one more deserving of it.

Then we're rooting for Michigan in that game.

They were always going to give it to Stroud. If he beats Michigan there’s zero way Hooker gets it. It’s always been an irrelevant award. They flat out decided not to give it to Manning when there was no one more deserving of it.
Exactly.

I really don't care if he wins it or not. There have been two Vols get screwed and arguably 3 if you want to count Shuler (even though Charlie Ward probably won that one outright) so why anyone expects that to change now is beyond me, especially since Hooker had a really bad day in Athens.

I think it is Strouds to lose..... I predict he will have really good games against Indiana and Maryland and then comes UM. If he has a bad game then I think Hendon is in it. Michigan is a really tough team, especially defensively.

Feel like ESPN is pushing Oregon and Bo Nix hard.

Though, Nix hasn't played a living defense all season with the exception of Georgia; and he wasn't very good in that game.

I feel like Hooker needs Ohio State to lose to Michigan and Oregon to lose to either Utah or Oregon State (both ranked). Although I am a little pissed Bo Nix is getting so much love. We saw him in the SEC where he was mediocre. Then he goes to the Pac 12, who does not play defense, and puts up big numbers. I am much more impressed with Hooker putting up huge numbers against teams like Alabama and LSU then Bo Nix putting up big numbers against teams like Cal and Colorado.

No other player in college football has done what HH has done considering the year this team is having compared to last 15 year state of the program. He may not win it but if this is overlooked I think it’s safe to say the integrity of of this award absolutely means nothing considering what we’ve witnessed in past votings.

The loss hurts him if tOSU wins out but doesn’t eliminate him IF… IF… IFFFFFF the voters actually look at the competition the two played against.

Guess I’ll pull for Mich. I’d rather see them in the playoffs anyway.

He has shined nationally multiple times though.

Sure but it always means more in November. For instance, not to bring up bad memories but Woodson had a huge game against OSU in 1997. Just last year Bryce had a big game against AU. And so on, for the entire last 30-40 years that I can recall.

I think the GA game took out both Hooker and Hyatt from their respective post season awards considerations. They might have given it to Hyatt, but Hooker was never going to get the nod in that award.
:( Drat. :(

Here are Mandel's comments on this:

Mandel's Mailbag: Most important version of The Game? Hooker's Heisman candidacy spoiled?

Hendon Hooker is having a monster season. Why did the UGA loss become the rationale to dump his Heisman stock? The combo of his accomplishments, his strength of schedule, and the talent ratings of his team make him a truly impressive candidate. Is this just recency bias? — Evan, Cincinnati

The Heisman is such a horse race, it almost works against you to earn “frontrunner” status too early. As soon as an athlete has his first bad game, it’s like the first eight never happened. The only person in recent memory I’ve seen avoid it was Lamar Jackson, which speaks to just how impressive he was.

Since the Playoff began, though, it’s generally come down to whoever has the best Championship Saturday. I think that will be particularly true this season given there’s no longer a clear favorite, with one notable exception: C.J. Stroudcould probably wrap it up a week early with a big game and win over 11-0 Michigan. If he loses, it becomes much more of a toss-up between players like Blake Corum, Drake Maye, Caleb Williams and theoretically, Hendon Hooker.

Hooker remains No. 1 on my ballot. He’s still had the best season in my opinion, for the reasons Evan stated. He’s the nation’s No. 2-rated passer behind only Stroud, the difference being he’s beaten two top-10 teams and Stroud has not. In addition to completing 71.1 percent of his passes, averaging a national-best 10.1 yards per attempt with a 24-to-2 TD-to-INT ratio, he’s also run 99 times for 405 yards. Players like Maye (3,996 yards) and Michael Penix Jr.(3,86) have produced more total offense than Hooker (3,293), but Hooker has done it while facing three current top-10 teams compared with one apiece for Maye and Penix.

All that being said, I don’t see a path to victory for him, mainly because he won’t be playing that final Saturday. He doesn’t have a chance to make a final impression like Stroud or Corum will in the Big Ten title game or Max Dugganin the Big 12 title game or Maye against Clemson, solely because his team had the misfortune of playing the No. 1 team in the country while the others did not. But there are a lot of deserving candidates, many of whom will get no consideration because they don’t play quarterback.

Like, we could all meet and agree that Brock Bowers is the best player in college football and leave it at that.

Reactions: PA Vol
TN history - 4 runners up, no Heisman. Sadly I think Hooker is going to be runner up #5 just because he wont have top games to shine the next few weeks. We can blow out lesser opponents (and we will) but Shroud was always the favorite. I think it will be very close though.

Heisman Watch 2022: Top contenders, current odds and best moments

Top five candidates
i
1. C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Total points: 54 (first-place votes: 8)

Week 11 notables: Stroud's lead in this year's Heisman race took a hit with his performance in Week 10 against Northwestern, in which he threw for just 76 yards in a blustery wind. On Saturday against the Indiana, he proved he was back to his dominant play. He threw for 297 yards and five touchdowns to lift the Buckeyes to a 56-14 victory. Thanks to his hefty touchdown performance, Stroud is back tied with Maye for most in the FBS (34) after losing the lead last week.

Heisman odds: +120

i
2. Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

Total points: 49 (first-place votes: 4)

Week 11 notables: Following the loss to Georgia, Hooker slipped from the No. 1 spot to No. 2. His 195-yard game with zero touchdowns and one interception caused worry. This week, he bounced back against Missouri to solidify his standing in second place and lead the Volunteers to a 66-24 Senior Day win. He threw for 355 yards and accounted for four touchdowns, three passing and one rushing. With South Carolina and Vanderbilt, respectively, left in the regular season, Hooker can continue to make his case over the next two weeks. He has thrown for 2,888 yards and rushed for 405 yards this season.

Heisman odds: +375

TN history - 4 runners up, no Heisman. Sadly I think Hooker is going to be runner up #5 just because he wont have top games to shine the next few weeks. We can blow out lesser opponents (and we will) but Shroud was always the favorite. I think it will be very close though.

Heisman Watch 2022: Top contenders, current odds and best moments

Top five candidates
i
1. C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Total points: 54 (first-place votes: 8)

Week 11 notables: Stroud's lead in this year's Heisman race took a hit with his performance in Week 10 against Northwestern, in which he threw for just 76 yards in a blustery wind. On Saturday against the Indiana, he proved he was back to his dominant play. He threw for 297 yards and five touchdowns to lift the Buckeyes to a 56-14 victory. Thanks to his hefty touchdown performance, Stroud is back tied with Maye for most in the FBS (34) after losing the lead last week.

Heisman odds: +120

i
2. Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

Total points: 49 (first-place votes: 4)

Week 11 notables: Following the loss to Georgia, Hooker slipped from the No. 1 spot to No. 2. His 195-yard game with zero touchdowns and one interception caused worry. This week, he bounced back against Missouri to solidify his standing in second place and lead the Volunteers to a 66-24 Senior Day win. He threw for 355 yards and accounted for four touchdowns, three passing and one rushing. With South Carolina and Vanderbilt, respectively, left in the regular season, Hooker can continue to make his case over the next two weeks. He has thrown for 2,888 yards and rushed for 405 yards this season.

Heisman odds: +375

A dilemma is that it’s in our best interests for tOSU to win big over Michigan, but that could also lose HH the Heisman, sadly.

Reactions: Gandalf
No other player in college football has done what HH has done considering the year this team is having compared to last 15 year state of the program. He may not win it but if this is overlooked I think it’s safe to say the integrity of of this award absolutely means nothing considering what we’ve witnessed in past votings.
It has been nothing but a popularity contest since before I was born. Eff those people.

Reactions: Volprofch05

VN Store

Back