Is Bama UTs Biggest Rival?

As a member of the Gray Beard contingent, I wholeheartedly concur that Alabama is our preeminent rival. For decades, Tennessee vs. Alabama was the premier game in the South and it is a game that simply drips with tradition. We may not have liked them in the least bit, but there was mutual respect. Bryant also had a talent for badmouthing his own team and verbally building up his opponent so that you didn't usually feel like he had deliberately humiliated you even if he beat you 66-3.

Florida, on the other hand, has never had any sense of historicity (i.e. just how shallow, chronologically, their tradition of excellence is) and they have never been able to win with even a semblance of grace, thanks in large measure to Spurrier's personality. For these reasons, I clearly chalk up Florida as most despised opponent.:bash:

I'm just 29 and I'm with the older crowd Alabama is the rivalry, has been for years!! It has deep roots that go way back
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No doubt...alabama for me, then uga. A win against florida recently has been the gauge to measure our success, but still, in this part of the state, its alabama and jawga. Its a tough year when we lose to either of those, really tough when we lose to both.

was that even worth asking LOL hell yeah its Alabama

With me it will always be Bama. I have never respected their program. Auburn was and is the class of that state.

*Old school fans = Bama

*New school fans = Florida

That being said, I hate both, so I'm stuck in the middle.

I can respect the Gators. They were dirty before Spurrier got there but they have ran a pretty clean program since 1990.

From 1958 on the Bama program has been dirty.

I will lay my cards on the table. I loath Alabama, and that bloody anti-Vols fight song they sing like dying hyenas. I am SICK AND TIRED of hearing Bear Bryant's name too, and I have quickly grown tired of Saban's false integrity. My dislike for them runs deeper than it does for any other team. But, it is Florida that we must battle for the SEC Eastern Div. title. More than any other eastern div. team over the last 15 years, it is Florida who has stood between us and SEC title games. My vote goes for Florida because that match-up means more in terms of championship success.

I hate Alabama...probably an age related thing....when I was in school (mid 70's) they thumped us on a regular basis and all we could do was cuss them.

I agree that winning against UGA or UF means more in a progression to a conference championship but I really don't give a fig. I always want Tennessee to beat those twerps (Bama) so bad that they give up the sport.

Kenny Stabler was in a bar at the Atlanta airport. Some of the guys asked if I wanted to met him. My response was why in h3ll would any Tennessee fan want to talk to an Alabama QB. I'd probably talk to Danny Wuerffel (however you spell it)

When I fly between Atlanta and Dallas, I always try to make sure I use the john over Bama....I know nothing drops but it still makes me feel good.

I live for the season that we beat Bama in October and beat them worse in the conference championship game.

Excuse me while I wipe the froth from my mouth.

BRAVO!:yes:

I grew up hating Bama. Then UGA and now UF due to the last 20 years. The rest of the SEC ties for 4th.

*Old school fans = Bama

*New school fans = Florida

That being said, I hate both, so I'm stuck in the middle.

^ Im with you! I also agree that we hated Spurrier more than Florida, but I will continue to hate them. Hard to say its Florida, knowing the tradition of the Alabama game. :unsure:

As a proud Bama fan, I think that Tennessee IS definately the Tide's biggest rival. Its no longer about Bama and the cow college (auburn), its now about BAMA and the vols.

seeing as how Auburn's beat you sll like 5 times in a row...I find that surprising

^ Im with you! I also agree that we hated Spurrier more than Florida, but I will continue to hate them. Hard to say its Florida, knowing the tradition of the Alabama game. :unsure:
Florida was never our biggest rival. People need to understand the most important game as far as winning the division isn't necessarily the biggest rival.

Fulmer beat them 7 times in a row, and they hate Fulmer.

Bama is our biggest rival without a doubt. Florida is our most hated rival without a doubt. Spurrier made fun of us. Bama just beat us. There is a difference.

Bama is our biggest rival without a doubt. Florida is our most hated rival without a doubt. Spurrier made fun of us. Bama just beat us. There is a difference.
I hate Bama more than Florida, without a doubt. Florida winning NC's sucked. Bama winning it was miserable.

I hate Bama more than Florida, without a doubt. Florida winning NC's sucked. Bama winning it was miserable.

watching the 08 and 09 SEC championship games was like having my brain scooped out with a melon baller

There is a big difference and I agree. I want to beat Bama when they are undefeated. I want to see Florida go winless all season.

watching the 08 and 09 SEC championship games was like having my brain scooped out with a melon baller

This last year made the third straight SEC Championship Game that I refused to watch.

VN Store

Back