Is Bama UTs Biggest Rival?

I agree that the Florida game has been much bigger the last decade. I think this Bama game is big for me this year. I used to respect the class and tradition of the Bama program. While there are still good Bama fans (like our own bdbaggins..who I haven't seen on here in a while) most of them are nothing but crybaby, sore loosers and trouble makers. I want to win this game to send them farther down the toilet.

Nuff said. :rock:

No question about it, I'd take 5 Gator losses to one Bammer loss. While the UF game may be more meaningful in the SEC there is nothing as historicaly sweet as watching the tide lose, and then bitching that "...if the Bear were still here..."

Alabama, georgia and florida are our main rivals since we play them yearly. I still think with the history of both schools that bama is still our number 1 rival. Florida would be our best rival if we played them last game of the year with the SEC on the line like in 2001. Since it is the first SEC bewteen us usually takes out of the running early in the season. Since the alignment of the divisions we will have Georgia as a main rival over time. Teams like Auburn and Ole were scheduled on a daily basis and is now a rival from the past.

Dusty Rhodes the American Dream right?

Sorry guys not trying to hijack the thread with rabble about my avatar but that is not Dusty Rhodes. That is a young James J Dillon - when he was a full time wrestler before he was a manager.

DD

I would have to say florida on the fact that if we beat them then we win SEC east title (most years) to tell you the truth I believe that USC(south carolina) with the addition of spurrier just added a little intensity. BUT overall im a GATOR HATER....and they come to knoxville this year

There is no doubt that bammer is our biggest rival. I know some younger folks think UF but there is only game that is an event and called the 3rd Saturday in Oct. It is history and hatred along with some respect to true blue southern football all rolled into one game. It is everything that makes college football in the south so special. It is the 2 winningest teams in the SEC going at it. It is the 2 big boys who have a history like none other. It is the 2 teams that have beaten each other more than anyone else has. Bammer is our true biggest rival. There are books written on it and TV specials. In the anals of football history UT vs. bammer is southern football.

Sorry guys not trying to hijack the thread with rabble about my avatar but that is not Dusty Rhodes. That is a young James J Dillon - when he was a full time wrestler before he was a manager.

DD
My bad, looks like a young Dusty from here, still like it though.

There is no doubt that bammer is our biggest rival. I know some younger folks think UF but there is only game that is an event and called the 3rd Saturday in Oct. It is history and hatred along with some respect to true blue southern football all rolled into one game. It is everything that makes college football in the south so special. It is the 2 winningest teams in the SEC going at it. It is the 2 big boys who have a history like none other. It is the 2 teams that have beaten each other more than anyone else has. Bammer is our true biggest rival. There are books written on it and TV specials. In the anals of football history UT vs. bammer is southern football.

I am a younger guy, and i definately think Bama is the rival to beat. Beating Florida usually means a better season, but Bama is the rival.

Conversely, is UT viewed as 'Bama's biggest rival by Tide fans? How does it rate next to Auburn?

I hate Alabama...probably an age related thing....when I was in school (mid 70's) they thumped us on a regular basis and all we could do was cuss them.

I agree that winning against UGA or UF means more in a progression to a conference championship but I really don't give a fig. I always want Tennessee to beat those twerps (Bama) so bad that they give up the sport.

Kenny Stabler was in a bar at the Atlanta airport. Some of the guys asked if I wanted to met him. My response was why in h3ll would any Tennessee fan want to talk to an Alabama QB. I'd probably talk to Danny Wuerffel (however you spell it)

When I fly between Atlanta and Dallas, I always try to make sure I use the john over Bama....I know nothing drops but it still makes me feel good.

I live for the season that we beat Bama in October and beat them worse in the conference championship game.

Excuse me while I wipe the froth from my mouth.

No doubt it is Alabama. Who cared about Florida until Spurrier got there? The rivalry with Alabama goes back a looooooooong way.

And I am not sure I get the "older people" think the Bama rivalry is better. I am 25 years old, and i hate Alabama with a white hot hatred. Even in elementary school, I hated them because we could never beat them.

I am sure that regionally it matters. I hail from Lynchburg, TN, just half an hour from the Bammer line. I went to college in Huntsville, AL. That made my hatred worse. Now I am in Birmingham, and you can imagine how I feel about them. I understand those from GA or FL hating the Bulldogs or Gators more.

If you think the Bammer fans think that Auburn/Bama is the bigger rivalry, then you have a point on some level. It is about perspective...there are more Auburn fans in their backyard than Tennessee fans. Part of the Bammer thing is that by acknowledging UT as a bigger rival, they know they give some type of credibility to UT, and they will not do that. I GUARANTEE you that if you ask any Bammer fan who they hate more: the Vols.

Go read the book Third Saturday In October. You have to understand the history! You won't even get ten pages into it before you acknowledge without a doubt that the Tennessee/Alabama game is the best that college football has to offer.

When I fly between Atlanta and Dallas, I always try to make sure I use the john over Bama....I know nothing drops but it still makes me feel good.

I live for the season that we beat Bama in October and beat them worse in the conference championship game.

Excuse me while I wipe the froth from my mouth.

That's Great! I wish I flew now just to join in!!!!:clapping:

I say that Bama is for sure UT's biggest and most hated rival. As mentioned many times before, the history of this October battle between Tennessee and Bama makes it so. I agree that ones age does play into his/her opinion. Also, I think where you actually live and work help form your opinion. I lived in Decatur Al for 4 years and Ut lost every year I lived there. I would go to work on the dreaded Mondays after those losses and my desk would be totally draped with Bama decorations and newspaper clippings. This did not just end in a few days but is something I and other Ut fans there would have to listen to the whole year. I now live just north of Chattanooga and things are much better, but there are still enough Bammers in this area to really keep this game huge for me. Something about the BIG ORANGE and Crimson on the field on a crystal clear October day just gives me chills. I will always want to see UT beat Bama more than any other game, even if it does not have as much weight nationally or in the race for the SEC east.

GO VOLS!!! ROLL OVER TIDE!

As a proud Bama fan, I think that Tennessee IS definately the Tide's biggest rival. Its no longer about Bama and the cow college (auburn), its now about BAMA and the vols.

Round the bowl and down the hole....

Definitely bama, w/ the gators coming in second, georgia, auburn and lsu tied for third...

Round the bowl and down the hole....

Definitely bama, w/ the gators coming in second, georgia, auburn and lsu tied for third...

Kentucky is third on the hatred list. Well, they're actually first on my list, but I like to think they are third on the list of the typical Vol fan.

Bama-all day/everyday! Google The Third Saturday In October. A lot of hits. It ain't Florida!

Kentucky is third on the hatred list. Well, they're actually first on my list, but I like to think they are third on the list of the typical Vol fan.

Hard to hate a team that rolls over and plays dead every year. :)

But being as you're in that state, I can see why you feel that way.

VN Store

Back