Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I’m talking about the lack of high level talent on this team. We don’t have enough.
Well… we do have high level talent on this team. JP would start pretty much everywhere else too. Unfortunately, he was injured. Most metrics sites agree that he is the most important player on our roster - even Bama doesn’t have a “high level” guy to come in at wing if Brandon Miller can’t go one night.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I get people make mistakes, but there are continually posts on here with statements that aren’t true. I actually form opinions and then research the data to see if I’m correct. I have literally deleted posts after researching it.

There is a reason why Calipari is hated right now by his fans, and Barnes is a small reason for that (in addition to having a losing season followed by losing to a 15 seed), and I figure that is common knowledge.

Barnes isn’t going anywhere until he makes that decision for himself. It’s a non-starter.
Probably true, but I don't see Mr. White as being one to accept mediocrity (if it gets to that point).

Probably true, but I don't see Mr. White as being one to accept mediocrity (if it gets to that point).

Who is accepting Mediocrity.....

Too date, we are 3-1 vs top 10 teams this year.....

I'd much rather have a winning record against the best teams in the country and some let down losses to weak teams than to blow out all weak teams and not have winning record vs best teams on our schedule....

To me it is simple... This team knows it can compete with the best of teams in the country.... They are getting humbled or playing down to the competition and not taking them seriously..... outside of Arizona, it is very likely that no other team we lost too makes the tourney..... Had Vandy and Mizzou not hit the buzzer beaters, no one is freaking out about losses to Kentucky, Florida, and Colorado.... Literally two buzzer beaters is the difference of this board not PMS'ing vs their current state.... Until we lay a goose egg vs a top ten team before the tourney, I'll see yall in Nashville.... Everything between now and then is meaningless.... Nothing but garbage teams outside of surging A&M.....

Barnes was clearly the right guy for the time he was hired and should be on the UT sidelines as long as he wants to be, which is, realistically, probably no more than 5 years. You can't fire him. He's put us in the mix every year, recruited well, and does a pretty solid job with most aspects of coaching.

The hard part with Barnes is he always seems to leave you expecting more than you got. It's a March sport and winning in the tournament is the gig, unfortunately. As a rule of thumb, I have judged a good coach to win in March to his expected level about half the time. So, a 2 seed should reach the Elite 8 to make their expected level, a 3 seed to the Sweet 16, and so forth. We have yet to do this under Barnes. I still enjoy the Kentucky wins, last year's SEC tourney, and the wins like the ones over Kansas and Bama last week, but he has to win in March at some point, especially to be the best UT coach ever. Right now, he has exactly one more NCAA win than does Jerry Green and Green was as mediocre as they came.

Reactions: Sportslady
Barnes was clearly the right guy for the time he was hired and should be on the UT sidelines as long as he wants to be, which is, realistically, probably no more than 5 years. You can't fire him. He's put us in the mix every year, recruited well, and does a pretty solid job with most aspects of coaching.

The hard part with Barnes is he always seems to leave you expecting more than you got. It's a March sport and winning in the tournament is the gig, unfortunately. As a rule of thumb, I have judged a good coach to win in March to his expected level about half the time. So, a 2 seed should reach the Elite 8 to make their expected level, a 3 seed to the Sweet 16, and so forth. We have yet to do this under Barnes. I still enjoy the Kentucky wins, last year's SEC tourney, and the wins like the ones over Kansas and Bama last week, but he has to win in March at some point, especially to be the best UT coach ever. Right now, he has exactly one more NCAA win than does Jerry Green and Green was as mediocre as they came.

I do think we are so night and day this year because Barnes knows this is prolly his last better team in his career with a depth that can compete with anyone. Almost like he knows it and is over coaching and too tight.

This team has numerous problems, but here are the three holding them back the most:
1) no viable post threat on offense.
2) only one true point guard and he’s playing poorly as of late
3) no clutch factor/ untimely mistakes

A big focus this off-season has to be to find a guy in the portal who can get buckets on the low block. Just having that would make a world of difference.
Sums up most of Barnes time here.

Barnes will coach here until he retires.

However, he’s almost 70 so he may hang it up to spend more time with his family.

VN Store

Back