Iowa Football Players Put Fans On Notice

There are many ways to protest and many ways to support this movement..

However, the American flag means more to most Americans than JUST the BLM movement...it’s pretty simple...and why it’s been received negatively in the past and will continue to be.

So protests should be carried out in such a way so as not to make the majority uncomfortable...even when it’s been stated repeatedly the NFL protests were not about the military or the flag.

And at the end of the day those NFL protests didn’t disrupt the actual game, let alone result in clashes with law enforcement, looting, etc. They hurt some feelings, that’s about it.

No, I’m speaking on much broader terms.
I think Jeremy Banks is a great example. Let me state that I support his return to the team. His attitude in the video is thug life. The problem is he didn’t grow up in the hood. He adopted an attitude and culture. Those things Have NOTHING intrinsically to do with skin color.

You keep saying culture and skin color aren’t synonymous, and I’ve agreed with you twice already.

You’re arguing a point no one is disputing.

Entitlements would be a big one.

I mentioned “thug life” culture.

Sorry, but if you coming walking into most businesses with droopy drawers, gold teeth, tats and waking like there’s a corn cob shoved up your ass, you’ll likely be profiled. If that we person is well dressed and polished they likely aren’t given second thought due to their skin color.

I’m saying in the big picture this isn’t a race problem.

I'm no fan of entitlements but I am sure there are more white people getting entitlements than black, so I do not see entitlements just as a 'black community' thing. And there are just as many white people that are covered in tats, have piercings all over their face and body and have wild hair styles dyed in all different colors. So I do not see that as just a black community thing.

You speak as if profiling is a bad thing.

I can easily find better things to do on Saturday afternoons just like I have on Sundays since the NFL players started kneeling. I have followed college football for six decades but it is not the crux of my happiness.

If the sight of a player kneeling during the national anthem causes you not to watch a football game, I’d question how big a football fan you were to begin with.

I’m there to watch the game. Hell, most of the time I’m at the concession stand during the national anthem.

So protests should be carried out in such a way so as not to make the majority uncomfortable...even when it’s been stated repeatedly the NFL protests were not about the military or the flag.

And at the end of the day those NFL protests didn’t disrupt the actual game, let alone result in clashes with law enforcement, looting, etc. They hurt some feelings, that’s about it.

Protest how you want....take a **** on the flag for all I care...just don’t expect people to respect or follow it. Part of the problem is that these kind of protests are designed to get a negative emotional reaction instead of positive one. They create more divisiveness. These stunts create zero change.

I understand. But the link I posted in the OP it reads like they are going to be going on the field to kneel during the national anthem.

From the link "If you can not support us right now with this movement and with our team taking a knee during the national anthem, DO NOT support us during the football season," he wrote. "DO NOT watch our games on TV. DO NOT come up to us when you want photos. DO NOT ask us to give your kids autographs. DON'T COME TO US EXPECTING US TO DO FOR YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T SUPPORT THE BLACK ATHLETES ON THIS TEAM AND THE DECISIONS WE MAKE AS A TEAM. I would rather play in front of 1,000 fans who care about us as people outside of football and what we are standing for, than 70,000 fans who only care about us when we are in uniform and on the field entertaining them."

I don't know what they do in the locker room, just keep off the field.

I am glad they are giving us a choice in advance. This is the correct approach. I will not tell anyone else how to choose but its and easy choice for me.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Protest how you want....take a **** on the flag for all I care...just don’t expect people to respect or follow it. Part of the problem is that these kind of protests are designed to get a negative emotional reaction instead of positive one. They create more divisiveness. These stunts create zero change.

Disagree...the light bulb went off for many people with the George Floyd murder.

All it took was police officer kneeling on a guy’s neck for almost nine minutes and killing him. The national anthem wasn’t playing in the background while it happened.

Protests by their definition are designed to disrupt the status quo.

I'm no fan of entitlements but I am sure there are more white people getting entitlements than black, so I do not see entitlements just as a 'black community' thing. And there are just as many white people that are covered in tats, have piercings all over their face and body and have wild hair styles dyed in all different colors. So I do not see that as just a black community thing.

You speak as if profiling is a bad thing.
They aren’t just a black community thing. That’s kind of what I’m pointing to.

I react to white people with tats and droopy drawers no different than blacks. You’re actually making making My point. Culture is NOT synonymous with race. But, when people push back against culture it is described as racism. Just as when a black man is killed by a bad cop it’s automatically assumed to be systemic racism.

Disagree...the light bulb went off for many people with the George Floyd murder.

All it took was police officer kneeling on a guy’s neck for almost nine minutes and killing him. The national anthem wasn’t playing in the background while it happened.

Protests by their definition are designed to disrupt the status quo.
They are designed to draw attention.

If the sight of a player kneeling during the national anthem causes you not to watch a football game, I’d question how big a football fan you were to begin with.

I’m there to watch the game. Hell, most of the time I’m at the concession stand during the national anthem.

Dang you're questioning how big a football fan he is? Pretty powerful.

I think definitely a light bulb turned on for many...just not exactly in the way you think.

Dang you're questioning how big a football fan he is? Pretty powerful.

Yep, there’s not much that would make me leave a football game while it’s going on, let alone when I’m probably getting a hot dog and a coke 20 minutes before kickoff.

Hypothetical...#1 Bama is visiting undefeated #2 Tennessee on a Saturday night, and you have seats at the 50. Twenty minutes before kickoff UT’s best player comes out of the locker room and kneels during the anthem.

You staying for the game or leaving?

Last edited:
I think definitely a light bulb went turned on for many...just not exactly in the way you think.

Respectfully disagree.

When tens of thousands of people in Salt Lake City turn out in protest for a black guy killed in Minneapolis, that’s just different.

Last edited:
Yep, there’s not much that would make me leave a football game while it’s going on, let alone when I’m probably getting a hot dog and a coke 20 minutes before kickoff.

Hypothetical...#1 Bama is visiting undefeated #2 Tennessee on a Saturday night. Twenty minutes before kickoff UT’s best player comes out of the locker room and kneels during the anthem.

In that scenario. Probably not. One individual.

The whole team, yes. I have 2 degrees from that university. It is more than the football experience itself. The kneeling represents the idea that America, the idea, is corrupt or unjust. BLM whether from origination or it was coopted at some point, is a communist and racist organization. I cant support my university supporting wholesale this ideology. Universities without a doubt should support the curiosity of young minds. They shouldnt lead them down a path of ignorance.

In that scenario. Probably not. One individual.

The whole team, yes. I have 2 degrees from that university. It is more than the football experience itself. The kneeling represents the idea that America, the idea, is corrupt or unjust. BLM whether from origination or it was coopted at some point, is a communist and racist organization. I cant support my university supporting wholesale this ideology. Universities without a doubt should support the curiosity of young minds. They shouldnt lead them down a path of ignorance.

Here’s where I disagree with you.

For me, the kneeling represents the idea that America is unquestionably the greatest country on this planet, but at the same time it’s not perfect. And it’s the greatest country on the planet because we have the freedom to speak out when our country falls short.

The “idea of America” is why our freedom to protest is so important, regardless of the cause, or if I agree with it.

And as an aside, if you’ve lived long enough there’s no way you can argue America has always been “just” to all of its citizens.

Last edited:
Here’s where I disagree with you.

For me, the kneeling represents the idea that America is unquestionably the greatest country on this planet, but at the same time it’s not perfect. And it’s the greatest country on the planet because I have the freedom to speak out when my country falls short.

The “idea” of America is why our freedom to protest is so important, regardless of the cause.

And as an aside, if you’ve lived long enough there’s no way you can argue America hasn’t always been “just” to all of its citizens.

I'm old enough. Nothing is perfect, we arent and never will be. But we are undoubtedly the light of the world and the extinguishing of our light would propel this globe into centuries of darkness that would be unimaginably horrible.

The kneeling is a CP move, which is thus a BLM move, which is fueled by hate.

I'm old enough. Nothing is perfect, we arent and never will be. But we are undoubtedly the light of the world and the extinguishing of our light would propel this globe into centuries of darkness that would be unimaginably horrible.

The kneeling is a CP move, which is thus a BLM move, which is fueled by hate.

What exactly do you mean by extinguishing America’s light?

Seems like the globe and a good handful of countries in it were protesting police brutality also.

Hypothetical...#1 Bama is visiting undefeated #2 Tennessee on a Saturday night, and you have seats at the 50. Twenty minutes before kickoff UT’s best player comes out of the locker room and kneels during the anthem.

People pay a lot of money to be entertained not to be offended. The kneeling is forcing it on people, sort of an 'in your face' and people in generally do not like that and should not be paying to having things forced upon them.

If you had a big pre-game meal and sat next to me and farted the whole game, I am not going to like it, I would be offended, I did not pay big money to have to sniff you and I would mostly likely complain to an usher, the EPA or someone. If I left, it does not mean I do not like football, but that I do not like to have to sit next to someone that is toxic and I do have that right to complain and get something done about you.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
What exactly do you mean by extinguishing America’s light?

Seems like the globe and a good handful of countries in it were protesting police brutality also.

I mean this movement is anti America. It would like to see an America based on the ideals of BLM.

No problems with protesting police brutality.

Reactions: onevol74
People pay a lot of money to be entertained not to be offended. The kneeling is forcing it on people, sort of an 'in your face' and people in generally do not like that and should not be paying to having things forced upon them.

If you had a big pre-game meal and sat next to me and farted the whole game, I am not going to like it, I would be offended, I did not pay big money to have to sniff you and I would mostly likely complain to an usher, the EPA or someone. If I left, it does not mean I do not like football, but that I do not like to have to sit next to someone that is toxic and I do have that right to complain and get something done about you.

A better analogy would be if a UT player took a knee right next to you, because chances are you couldn’t avoid it.

Some dude dropping ass all game is likely to offend the entire section he’s sitting in.

A player silently taking a knee on the field won’t offend you unless you choose to let it offend you...especially if you’re sitting in Section NN. You’re closer to God than the guy kneeling.

Reactions: vol66 and BreatheUT

VN Store

Back