Interesting question on "The Starting Lineup" today

DeusExMachina

"I aim to misbehave"
Which team would it take the Vols beating this year for you, as a Tennessee fan, to say "this was a successful season"??

For me, it's Florida. I just have this belief that with all the drama, transfers and such.....that UF is going to be a dumpster fire at least early in the season. Yes, I know that we play them at the Swamp. Yes, I know that our recent record against them is atrocious. However, the Vols weren't supposed to go down to Jordan-Hare last year and win against a ranked Auburn team (thank you, Bryce Thompson and Jauan Jennings for being total and complete STUDS).

The radio guys wanted to give us no chance against Florida, and were saying that South Carolina is that game that says "we're successful". I disagree, and I have to agree with a quote I heard that "beating USC is a 'Champions of Life' type win, and not a benchmark for Tennessee's success". Couple people were even saying that BYU would, to them, be considered that win that says "we're successful".

There's a couple games this year, realistically speaking, that there's not much of a chance of winning (UA/UGA) and there's one that I'm going to that I REALLY want to win (@Mizzou) but IDK how it'll turn out. However, if the Vols win against UF in week four.......all freaking bets are off on this season. As much as I want "XV-Nulla", I'd be perfectly okay with 9-3 or 8-4, a bowl game, and a monster recruiting class with an absolute TON of momentum headed into next year.

So, VolNation, which team would it take the Vols beating this year for YOU to say "this was a successful season"???

Which team would it take the Vols beating this year for you, as a Tennessee fan, to say "this was a successful season"??

For me, it's Florida. I just have this belief that with all the drama, transfers and such.....that UF is going to be a dumpster fire at least early in the season. Yes, I know that we play them at the Swamp. Yes, I know that our recent record against them is atrocious. However, the Vols weren't supposed to go down to Jordan-Hare last year and win against a ranked Auburn team (thank you, Bryce Thompson and Jauan Jennings for being total and complete STUDS).

The radio guys wanted to give us no chance against Florida, and were saying that South Carolina is that game that says "we're successful". I disagree, and I have to agree with a quote I heard that "beating USC is a 'Champions of Life' type win, and not a benchmark for Tennessee's success". Couple people were even saying that BYU would, to them, be considered that win that says "we're successful".

There's a couple games this year, realistically speaking, that there's not much of a chance of winning (UA/UGA) and there's one that I'm going to that I REALLY want to win (@Mizzou) but IDK how it'll turn out. However, if the Vols win against UF in week four.......all freaking bets are off on this season. As much as I want "XV-Nulla", I'd be perfectly okay with 9-3 or 8-4, a bowl game, and a monster recruiting class with an absolute TON of momentum headed into next year.

So, VolNation, which team would it take the Vols beating this year for YOU to say "this was a successful season"???
I guess for me, it's getting to a bowl game....especially after last season. But I would take a Florida and or SC win. :)

All you doubters will be stunned, and some will falsely claim the, "I knew it" label. Strange Vols sights and implausible wonders are headed our way. Orange ogres will rage, tangerine hued blurs will score, score, and score some more.

I know this doesn't define a season as being successful, BUT.....

Tennessee can not, under any set of realistic seasonal outcomes and circumstances this season, lose to Vanderbilt. It can not happen. I don't care what they do against Florida, losing to Vanderbilt would trump that (see 2016).

Don't give me hypotheticals where they go 11-1 and lose to Vandy.

Losing to Vanderbilt does far more damage to the future of the program and Pruitt than beating Florida and the perks that come with that.

JMO

I guess for me, it's getting to a bowl game....especially after last season. But I would take a Florida and or SC win. :)
^ this. It should be any wins adding up to 6 or more qualifying for a bowl game. I'm thinking 7-8 wins and a possible bowl win. Florida would be extra icing on the cake.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I don't "hang my hat " on any one game. To play better all year long. To win games we are supposed to win. (as season facts reflect for us and all others) To have the "gas" to go all out all season. To reflect the attitude expected by staff and us fans. Naturally, I want to win all the games, but that's down the road. If they do things the right way at 100%, they will win more than they lose. To pick any one game, not this year, as I look forward.

Reactions: TC 83 and miket4god
Successful this season for me is ranked no lower than 3rd in the SEC East. Anything less is disappointing to me and that's pretty much year in and year out. I get it I know there are season starts where that is a pipe dream, but that is my low end benchmark, it doesn't change.

Tennessee can not, under any set of realistic seasonal outcomes and circumstances this season, lose to Vanderbilt. It can not happen. I don't care what they do against Florida, losing to Vanderbilt would trump that (see 2016).

Losing to Vanderbilt does far more damage to the future of the program and Pruitt than beating Florida and the perks that come with that.

JMO
No argument here. I loathe the commode-doors.

The question is premised on a false definition of "success". I'd be happy if UT beat UF... but that wouldn't make it a successful season. I would be happy if UT won 7 games but that wouldn't necessarily make it a successful season either if we learn over the season that those teams stink.

One particular win definitely doesn't equate to a successful season. Several wins over bad teams doesn't equate to a successful season. If UF was one of 8-10 wins... that would be a successful season.

Reactions: tennvols77
SC, MO, VU and KY........this will indicate were UT is going
This all day. Success is re-establishing dominance in the East. You don't do that without always, always beating these four. Beat them all any given year and we're no worse than .500 in conference, and basically guaranteed to be bowling unless we've gone insane in our non-conference scheduling. Don't beat these four, and there's not much point even discussing whether we're going to hang with 'Bama and Georgia.

Win every game except fla, ga, and Bama. Schedule won't get this good again for a while. What they have right now on and off the field should be good enough and experienced enough for that level of achievement. No one game will define success because we've seen that movie during both of Butch's 9-4 seasons.

Gotta beat Vandy. I feel like if we could upset the gators in the swamp, it would be momentum going into the meat of our schedule. We usually play UGA close, and I would trade several wins for that upset.

Incremental improvement would be a "success" at this point. I think for most of us, just being bowl eligible would meet that criteria.

Personally, if we only lose to UF, UGA and Bama and win all the others, I would consider that significant improvement. Anything less than that is just a step in the right direction. I realize that's not what you asked, but that is what it would take for me to really start believing in Pruitt.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Florida is not going to be a dumpster fire on the field in September. Their offseason woes will hurt them in the future in depth & talent, but expecting it to be a factor in 2019 isn’t realistic.

We have to beat Vandy and UK. Steal one from USCe or Missouri will help us take that next step. This is a long rebuild.

JMO
I would take a loss to Vandy all day long IF we finished 11-1 but that is not going to happen. Agreed, Vandy is a must win. UT has to stop losing to teams that are historically bad.

VN Store

Back