Interesting question on "The Starting Lineup" today

IMO...6-6 Man we made some bad mistakes, 7-5 No longer do they look over the Vols, 8-4 Laud, hold on to your Hats,
giphy.gif

Beating Florida would be the biggest win I think we could pull off, though. That would make 7 or 8 wins feel pretty good. We have the guys we need to get it done even as huge underdogs.

36cbou.jpg

Being able to sit down and watch a whole game and not being able to predict the outcome. I want that feeling of "Hell Yeah"
Instead of "Hell No". I want Pollack to eat his words about Pruitt, I want every Kid in Tennessee wanting to play for Tennessee.
I want my neighbors across both lines dreading playing us. I want cornbread the State food. I want babies being named Jeremy,Jarrett, Toto, Big Jim, Tee,Juaun.
If any of this happens I'll consider the season to be successful.

I know this doesn't define a season as being successful, BUT.....

Tennessee can not, under any set of realistic seasonal outcomes and circumstances this season, lose to Vanderbilt. It can not happen. I don't care what they do against Florida, losing to Vanderbilt would trump that (see 2016).

Don't give me hypotheticals where they go 11-1 and lose to Vandy.

Losing to Vanderbilt does far more damage to the future of the program and Pruitt than beating Florida and the perks that come with that.

JMO
Agree 100%.

It doesn't define success but it can define failure.

I think the 2 hinge games in the season as far as success go are State and USC. Mainly because of where they land on the schedule. Unless they knock off a UF or Mizzou on the road they can't lose both of those at home and it end up being a success.

6 wins and a bowl game. Anything more means Pruitt is COY material. Anything less is just more of the same.

I know this doesn't define a season as being successful, BUT.....

Tennessee can not, under any set of realistic seasonal outcomes and circumstances this season, lose to Vanderbilt. It can not happen. I don't care what they do against Florida, losing to Vanderbilt would trump that (see 2016).

Don't give me hypotheticals where they go 11-1 and lose to Vandy.

Losing to Vanderbilt does far more damage to the future of the program and Pruitt than beating Florida and the perks that come with that.

JMO
I agree with your position on Vandy, but also have to add Kentucky to that thing. It should be written into the contract of all coaches at UT that if you lose to either Vandy or Kentucky it is grounds for dismissal with cause.

I agree with your position on Vandy, but also have to add Kentucky to that thing. It should be written into the contract of all coaches at UT that if you lose to either Vandy or Kentucky it is grounds for dismissal with cause.

I agree with you generally as I feel the same thing for Florida. Vandy and Ky have to be games you take for granted

And normally that would get a “duh”.

But, in this circumstance it’s purely because of the streak. It has to end.

On the Florida end (and I know y’all feel the same way), this Missouri thing has been fun for long enough. That’s got to stop. Is it the most important game on the schedule? No. If they have a year like last year with a loss to Missouri, will I generally be happy? Yes. But, at the same time, it has to end

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
Forget wins and losses. I would just like to see the sacks given up less than15 this year! Vols season will, unfortunately, hinge on the O-line. If by the mercy of God we get some damn good O-line play than we have the skill position talent to make some noise.

The correct is answer is whoever our bowl game opponent is. You can win any one game in the regular season, and it doesn't mean anything if you lose the majority of the rest. If we beat our bowl game opponent, it means we were in a bowl game, which is a success in itself considering where our program is, and also that we won at least 7 games.

Which team would it take the Vols beating this year for you, as a Tennessee fan, to say "this was a successful season"??

For me, it's Florida. I just have this belief that with all the drama, transfers and such.....that UF is going to be a dumpster fire at least early in the season. Yes, I know that we play them at the Swamp. Yes, I know that our recent record against them is atrocious. However, the Vols weren't supposed to go down to Jordan-Hare last year and win against a ranked Auburn team (thank you, Bryce Thompson and Jauan Jennings for being total and complete STUDS).

The radio guys wanted to give us no chance against Florida, and were saying that South Carolina is that game that says "we're successful". I disagree, and I have to agree with a quote I heard that "beating USC is a 'Champions of Life' type win, and not a benchmark for Tennessee's success". Couple people were even saying that BYU would, to them, be considered that win that says "we're successful".

There's a couple games this year, realistically speaking, that there's not much of a chance of winning (UA/UGA) and there's one that I'm going to that I REALLY want to win (@Mizzou) but IDK how it'll turn out. However, if the Vols win against UF in week four.......all freaking bets are off on this season. As much as I want "XV-Nulla", I'd be perfectly okay with 9-3 or 8-4, a bowl game, and a monster recruiting class with an absolute TON of momentum headed into next year.

So, VolNation, which team would it take the Vols beating this year for YOU to say "this was a successful season"???
For me I think it’s the old quote....Beat everyone that we’re supposed to beat!!! That’s Vandy,Kentucky,Mizzou,Uscjr. And your non conference teams...Call it THEN a successful season...A bowl game win and then your building blocks are in order. But if it was just one I would rather it be an upset and there for I’ll go with the Dogs at home

Which team would it take the Vols beating this year for you, as a Tennessee fan, to say "this was a successful season"??

For me, it's Florida. I just have this belief that with all the drama, transfers and such.....that UF is going to be a dumpster fire at least early in the season. Yes, I know that we play them at the Swamp. Yes, I know that our recent record against them is atrocious. However, the Vols weren't supposed to go down to Jordan-Hare last year and win against a ranked Auburn team (thank you, Bryce Thompson and Jauan Jennings for being total and complete STUDS).

The radio guys wanted to give us no chance against Florida, and were saying that South Carolina is that game that says "we're successful". I disagree, and I have to agree with a quote I heard that "beating USC is a 'Champions of Life' type win, and not a benchmark for Tennessee's success". Couple people were even saying that BYU would, to them, be considered that win that says "we're successful".

There's a couple games this year, realistically speaking, that there's not much of a chance of winning (UA/UGA) and there's one that I'm going to that I REALLY want to win (@Mizzou) but IDK how it'll turn out. However, if the Vols win against UF in week four.......all freaking bets are off on this season. As much as I want "XV-Nulla", I'd be perfectly okay with 9-3 or 8-4, a bowl game, and a monster recruiting class with an absolute TON of momentum headed into next year.

So, VolNation, which team would it take the Vols beating this year for YOU to say "this was a successful season"???
I really can't decide on how I should view FL...I don't think they're as good as some are projecting them to be. Sure they won their last 4 games but they played Idaho, FSU, SC, and a Michigan team that had no energy whatsoever. Maybe I'm being biased but IMO media are overhyping them just a tad.

For it to be successful for me, UT wins all non conference games and AT LEAST 4 of 6 SEC games vs all not named Bama and Georgia. UT has a ways to go to beat them. Unless, PRUITT is a REAL GENIUS and THE BEST PLAYER DEVELOPER OF ALL TIME!!!

Florida. I hate them to the core. Win 8+ games and beat Florida and I’m happy. Although the truth is, if we beat Florida, we’re probably going to win at least 9.

Florida. I hate them to the core. Win 8+ games and beat Florida and I’m happy. Although the truth is, if we beat Florida, we’re probably going to win at least 9.
Oh we winning 9 and getting that sixth win ever I. The swamp

And Greg Amsler is one of my all time fav vols
That hurdle against UVa

Reactions: NighthawkVol
All you doubters will be stunned, and some will falsely claim the, "I knew it" label. Strange Vols sights and implausible wonders are headed our way. Orange ogres will rage, tangerine hued blurs will score, score, and score some more.

hey, you forgot your "book it" at the end...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

I think a win at Missouri would show we are successful this year. South Carolina is here and I don't really think they'll be that good this year honestly, probably the same as last year. We should beat them, but you never know. At Florida is always tough but we should have won the last two times there and I wouldn't be surprised if they take a slight step back given all the attrition they've taken. I'll put Mississippi state in the same category as south Carolina, theoretically should beat them, but you never know.

If we win 3 or split those 4 games, that probably puts us at 9-3 or 8-4, which I'd be happy with for sure. That's tangible progress and I think it would help with recruiting significantly.

BYU, scar, uk, and vandy are must wins imo. I’ll be disappointed if we lose any of those games.

Miss st and mizzou wins would be undervalued but quietly impressive wins that would greatly help the program moving into next year.

UF in Gainesville would be a statement win for Pruitt. Incredibly more meaningful than beating uk or auburn last year. Would knock the notion that uga and uf will be the ones battling for the east the next couple years. Could see that game changing the outlook on the whole season for our team and recruiting beyond.

VN Store

Back