I'm looking for big things from Davonte this year! (also video interview)

I don’t chime in as often anymore, but Gaines is going to get minutes. Probably from the freshmen. Barnes awards minutes to players who compete in practice and do what coach says. Gaines showed he can do that and was awarded minutes last year, expect the same again this year.
I really like Gaines but unless we play a lot of 4 guard lineups and/or match up with smaller teams I wonder where his minutes will come from. JJJ, Keon, Springer, Vescovi, and Bailey you would think will get the bulk of the minutes at the PG, 2G and SF positions.

Now if we wanted to try and lock a primary perimeter offensive team down we could throw Keon and Gaines at them on the court at the same time. That could be disruptive, but I just think that for ball handling purposes, either Vescovi or JJJ (at least one will be in the game at all times). Gaines hustles and will try and rebound despite his small frame, but has a ways to go offensively unless he has improved a ton in the offseason.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I really like Gaines but unless we play a lot of 4 guard lineups and/or match up with smaller teams I wonder where his minutes will come from. JJJ, Keon, Springer, Vescovi, and Bailey you would think will get the bulk of the minutes at the PG, 2G and SF positions.

Now if we wanted to try and lock a primary perimeter offensive team down we could throw Keon and Gaines at them on the court at the same time. That could be disruptive, but I just think that for ball handling purposes, either Vescovi or JJJ (at least one will be in the game at all times). Gaines hustles and will try and rebound despite his small frame, but has a ways to go offensively unless he has improved a ton in the offseason.
Well, let’s hope he’s improved, but this roster is stacked and with several guys that are a lot more physically impressive.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I'm not as high on Gaines as most others seem to be. Don't get me wrong, kid clearly has potential. If his skill level can match his heart/hustle level, then he will definitely be a good one.

I thought he looked better than ON did last year, he made alot of turnovers as well as fouls.He just looked like he wasn't used to his body last year.

I absolutely love Davonte's potential, but he is going to have to devolop his offensive game in a major way before he will be able to get major minutes.

If he could gain some good weight, and develop his offense, I think he could go straight from spot minutes to being a star player. We are likely just going to have to be patient with him. He is also going to have to be patient with himself.

VN Store

Back