I'm looking for big things from Davonte this year! (also video interview)

ClockworkOrange

Electric Sheep
I think in some ways Davonte Gaines has become the forgotten man. I know with the crush of talent we have coming in, some are predicting a redshirt, but he really became a favorite of mine last season. He works incredibly hard and he's not afraid to mix it up with ANYONE. I think Davonte would man up Shaquille in his prime and be excited to do so! Yeah, he would get thrown into about the 17th row, but you'd see him right back out there after he climbed out of the seats, fighting for position, rebounds, defending with that length. When his offense (and weight, probably) catch up with his D, I really think he will be a big contributor.

Heck, I think he will be important to us THIS year. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think a redshirt year for Gaines and Pember might be best with the talent we have, and only one basketball. I see we have a 6' 9" 192 lb. freshman walk-on by the name of Cole Morris from Marietta (George Walton Comprehensive HS) on the roster. Along with Brock Jancek at 6' 8", that give us 10 extra fouls in the low post if we need them.

Reactions: k-town_king
I’m skeptical that Gaines will ever be a major contributor here, but I would happily be proven wrong. I think he has a lot of fight in him and plays with energy though. I’ll give him credit.

I’m skeptical that Gaines will ever be a major contributor here, but I would happily be proven wrong. I think he has a lot of fight in him and plays with energy though. I’ll give him credit.
Major? Probably not. But most of your roster aren’t “major” contributors. The fact is he’ll never have an SEC body. He has already been to prep school, so this is his 3rd year removed from HS. So, his impact will be limited, but he has talent.

Maybe his senior year if he’s still around

I think a redshirt year for Gaines and Pember might be best with the talent we have, and only one basketball. I see we have a 6' 9" 192 lb. freshman walk-on by the name of Cole Morris from Marietta (George Walton Comprehensive HS) on the roster. Along with Brock Jancek at 6' 8", that give us 10 extra fouls in the low post if we need them.
TGO's burner, imo

Reactions: Vols All Day
I think he red shirts and gains another 10 LBs and will have a good year next year. I could see him in a couple years playing at 200 or 205 and being a Dennis Rodman type player but with more offense. I think if Pember gains 25 lbs he could be a solid player. If he does not gain the weight, I see him transferring out because he will not play SEC basketball at 190.

I think he red shirts and gains another 10 LBs and will have a good year next year. I could see him in a couple years playing at 200 or 205 and being a Dennis Rodman type player but with more offense. I think if Pember gains 25 lbs he could be a solid player. If he does not gain the weight, I see him transferring out because he will not play SEC basketball at 190.
I question whether he has the frame to carry that kind of weight. He's so sleight and slendor.

Reactions: walkenvol
I have to wonder who gets more playtime really. We've got a pretty loaded roster now. I will say that I really like Davonte though, I had been talking to him before he moved here. Excited to see him grow more. I would agree with some of the others in that maybe this is a redshirt year for him perhaps.

Last edited:

Everybody might be getting a redshirt year this season. Might as well play everybody.

I love Gaines and think if he stays his whole career at UT, that he could be a borderline all-SEC type of player, before he graduates. With that being said, I don't see much more playing time, this year, than he had last year. UT is just loaded at his position. Keon is going to be a superstar and probably will be an one and done, imo. So, '21-'22 will be Gaines breakout year, once again, imo

We're going to need Gaines defense this year, he's too good defensively to not be used.

Reactions: OutofStateFan
We're going to need Gaines defense this year, he's too good defensively to not be used.
While he is a good defender his offense is pretty far behind, unfortunately for him Bailey/Springer/Johnson are all considered very good defenders as well and their offensive games are much further along than Gaines.

Reactions: k-town_king
Gaines should either red shirt or hit the portal. Too talented to ride the bench but unfortunately he’s found himself in a crazy deep position where he’s not likely to get significant minutes this season. Love this guys potential but he needs minutes to develop.

Gaines should either red shirt or hit the portal. Too talented to ride the bench but unfortunately he’s found himself in a crazy deep position where he’s not likely to get significant minutes this season. Love this guys potential but he needs minutes to develop.
Why redshirt if this year doesn’t count towards eligibility which is expected to be the case?

While he is a good defender his offense is pretty far behind, unfortunately for him Bailey/Springer/Johnson are all considered very good defenders as well and their offensive games are much further along than Gaines.
I'm not saying Gaines is going to play more than them, I'm saying that Gaines is a high quality on the ball defender playing for a defensive first minded coach, he's going to get some minutes and not redshirt.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I'm not saying Gaines is going to play more than them, I'm saying that Gaines is a high quality on the ball defender playing for a defensive first minded coach, he's going to get some minutes and not redshirt.
I am also high on Gaines but imo he is stuck behind a bunch of super talented players further developed offensively than he that will almost certainly take up all the minutes at the 2 and 3. I wish he would red shirt but someone mentioned he may not be open to that possibility. Regardless I think he could be a key player in the 22 and 23 season. I think if he develops his offense he has NBA type potential.

Barnes has shown in the past he prefers a smaller rotation, so in a 8-9 man rotation who is Gaines ahead of? Gaines ahead of Pember, ORN, Plavsic and Walker? Definitely possibly, but I would lean towards ORN getting more minutes.

VN Store

Back