‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

After his second visit with the Vols in less than two months, the five-star Class of 2023 wide receiver from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., said they’re among the teams “at the top of my list.” He has continued to build a strong relationship with Tennessee wide receivers coach Kodi Burns, and Tate said seeing the Vols again Saturday and Sunday made even more of a factor in his recruitment.

“They stand at the top of my list with the other schools,” Tate told 247Sports’ Tom Loy on Monday night. “And going back did make them more of a contender because I was (able to) actually see how KB actually develops receivers and how he works with receivers, and how what he was providing in practice actually translated to the field.”

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Tate said he talks with Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel’s staff “almost every day, or every other day, honestly,” led by Burns. Tate said Burns again showed him plenty of attention during his weekend stay in Knoxville.

“I spent most of the time with KB, and his message to me (was) that he would love to get receivers like me to get Tennessee back to Receiver University, and that he would develop me and prepare me for the next level,” said Tate, a five-star prospect in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, where he’s ranked the No. 20 overall player and No. 3 wide receiver in the 2023 class.

The Vols made a strong impression on him during his visit Nov. 27 for their 45-21 win over Vanderbilt. He said he’s still taking a hard look at them, at least in part because of their history of producing NFL receivers.

“The main reason I’m considering Tennessee is because that school has built receivers, honestly,” Tate said. “They have the most first-round-pick receivers in the league. And then they just need guys like me to get them back up there.”

After experiencing the game-day environment at Tennessee during his first visit there, the Chicago-area native said he decided to return to Knoxville to spend more time with the Vols’ coaches and “talk ball.”

“Going up there the second time was mainly to talk ball with the coaches to see how I fit into the offense and what they’re providing for me at the next level, and how (they would) get me the ball, and then also see their development at the receiver position,” said Tate, who received a scholarship offer from Tennessee nearly nine months ago and now is being pursued by nearly 40 schools.

“What was different about this visit was getting my mom up there, honestly — having her spend some time with the coaches and see how they are — because, ultimately, she has to be comfortable with leaving me there for the next three or four years.”

Tate, who has added offers from Alabama, Texas A&M, Washington and Colorado since Jan. 14, said he has enjoyed getting to know Burns over the past several months.

“Me and KB’s relationship is cool,” Tate said. “We don’t always talk about ball and stuff like that. We connect on a personal level and talk about fam.”
-Callahan

You get this kid here I think tennessee will start pumping draft picks in to the NFL soon. Venus should get picked in the lower rounds and Tillman has the chance to be a top 3 round selection. Hopefully Hyatt or Calloway bridge the gap the following year because I don't think squirrel will be here for his senior year.

VN Store

Back