‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

Wonder how he’ll feel if Ced gets drafted ahead of JSN, although it will be too late by then.

Edit: Don’t mean to sound salty. OSU is a good choice as is UT. Would like to see him in Orange but he’ll be fine if not and so will we.
I could see Tillman go 2nd or 3rd day and still outperform those drafted ahead of him. Think JJ Stokes/Terrell Owens.

He is from Chicago and called Ohio State his dream school. He is not coming here
He may not come here, but I wouldn't make too much of that "dream school" business. It is not unusual at all for a recruit to say that about one school, but then end up picking someone else. Anyone remember Owen Pappoe? Tennessee was supposedly his dream school, but he went to Auburn. That happens all the time.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Athleticism. Tillman has been great for us, 100%. But JSN is on a different level and has a higher athletic ceiling. People draft based on potential more than production. No way I could see Tillman going in the first round. Even if he has crazy numbers this season

Tillman getting some good reviews here lately by NFL personnel. If he has a really good year I think he can be a late round 1st round pick. There are only 3 WRs most would take before him right now (Addison, JSN, and Boutte) and there has been roughly 6 WRs drafted every year the past 3-4 years.

I think we easily have the best WR group in the SEC and some think in the country. I think the opportunity is for the taking for him.

Athleticism. Tillman has been great for us, 100%. But JSN is on a different level and has a higher athletic ceiling. People draft based on potential more than production. No way I could see Tillman going in the first round. Even if he has crazy numbers this season

I think the main issue with Tillman is the limited route tree he has, given the type of offense we run. That, and he likely runs 4.5-4.6 in the 40. That's plenty fast for an NFL WR but probably places him middle of the pack in the draft class.

I still think he's a day 1 WR. Reminds me a lot of Mike Evans. Not many WRs putting up the stats Tilman has in the conference he is doing it in. If he stays healthy, he's currently on pace to shatter multiple Vols receiving records.

I think the main issue with Tillman is the limited route tree he has, given the type of offense we run. That, and he likely runs 4.5-4.6 in the 40. That's plenty fast for an NFL WR but probably places him middle of the pack in the draft class.

I still think he's a day 1 WR. Reminds me a lot of Mike Evans. Not many WRs putting up the stats Tilman has in the conference he is doing it in. If he stays healthy, he's currently on pace to shatter multiple Vols receiving records.
He’s faster than whatever MJ Devonshire can run, that was cool to see. Blew right by him

Devonshire was supposed to be a track star in high school or something. They made a big deal about it when he had the pick 6 in the West Virginia game.
Yep he ran 10.8 in the 100m, so just as fast as Ty. I bet Tillman can definitely run in the low 4.5-high 4.4 range. Him being so big I think how fast he is is a little deceiving

Tillman getting some good reviews here lately by NFL personnel. If he has a really good year I think he can be a late round 1st round pick. There are only 3 WRs most would take before him right now (Addison, JSN, and Boutte) and there has been roughly 6 WRs drafted every year the past 3-4 years.

I think we easily have the best WR group in the SEC and some think in the country. I think the opportunity is for the taking for him.
Boutte has character concerns imo. You can chalk it up to playing for a dunce and I wouldn’t balk at that, but if Im a GM I take Tillman over Boutte.

What? Marvin Harrison Jr. (who is as fantastic a route runner as his Hall of fame dad), Emeka Egbuka (5*), Julian Fleming 5*, and a plethora of other high 4*'s.... along with JSN...... They are so loaded with WR talent they can't play them all and it's all due to Brian Hartline. I agree that the Vols have probably the top receiving corps in the SEC but let's be realistic here.

What? Marvin Harrison Jr. (who is as fantastic a route runner as his Hall of fame dad), Emeka Egbuka (5*), Julian Fleming 5*, and a plethora of other high 4*'s.... along with JSN...... They are so loaded with WR talent they can't play them all and it's all due to Brian Hartline. I agree that the Vols have probably the top receiving corps in the SEC but let's be realistic here.
Vols are tops in the SEC. OSU gets my vote for tops in the nation. Tennessee is likely top-5, maybe top-3, OSU is another level.

These are players already in college. I’d be much more interested in their college stats. What they were rated out of high school doesn’t mean jack sh!t.

These are players already in college. I’d be much more interested in their college stats. What they were rated out of high school doesn’t mean jack sh!t.
Marvin Harrison: 12 recs/240 yds/3 TDs
Emeka Egbuka: 13 recs/208 yds/2 TDs

Smith-Njigba: injured, but in 2021, led the team as a sophomore in recs and yds (95 recs/1606 yds/9 TDs) on a team with two 1st-rd. WRs starting as rookies in the NFL.

Marvin Harrison: 12 recs/240 yds/3 TDs
Emeka Egbuka: 13 recs/208 yds/2 TDs

Smith-Njigba: injured, but in 2021, led the team as a sophomore in recs and yds on a team with two 1st-rd. WRs starting as rookies in the NFL.
That’s more like it. 😉

Edit: seems they are built a little more for speed. 1 of the three for them (Harrison) is a particularly big guy, while the other two are more “tall enough” speedsters. By contrast Hyatt fits the second description more and we’ve got two monsters on the outside who can just moss defenders all day.

I’ll be curious what the stats look like end of season. Our guys will certainly have faced tougher competition.

Last edited:
NFL gets too caught up in other **** than production sometimes. Sometimes it pay offs, sometimes it don’t.
Not predicting he'll be an early first rounder, but he's rapidly rising up draft boards. The biggest reason? He has his best games against the best competition that he faces. Right now he's on pace to have over 1300 receiving yards this season.

Reactions: Carp and Orange.

VN Store

Back