If you heard Doug Mathews this morning.....

I remember back in the day, I used to get so jealous when I'd see teams like Oklahoma, Texas, Florida (Spurrier era), Miami, Ohio State, Southern Cal, etc putting up 50 and 60 points on inferior opponents and wonder why we didnt do that.
Of course Spurrier on the other hand would pull out every trick in the book to try to maximize the point margin. He was on the other side of the spectrum. I was happy to see Nebraska do that to the Gators in the Orange Bowl. But to Spurrier's credit, though, he didn't whine about it which was unusual for him. He seldom passed up a chance to whine

Interesting read, I still think that Alontae Taylor plays CB. We are deep at Safety. I also think Kelly makes the rotation at Safety and
will be a dependable backup.

Also surprised to hear that Alexis Johnson would be a DE. I would think that we needed him to give Shy Tuttle a few breathers.

Peterson is pretty much looking at a redshirt season now . Too much time wasted.

This should be our first good OL in about 5 years. Maybe we'll even get lucky and have a great OL.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Interesting read, I still think that Alontae Taylor plays CB. We are deep at Safety. I also think Kelly makes the rotation at Safety and

Also surprised to hear that Alexis Johnson would be a DE. I would think that we needed him to give Shy Tuttle a few breathers.

Peterson is pretty much looking at a redshirt season now . Too much time wasted.

This should be our first good OL in about 5 years. Maybe we'll even get lucky and have a great OL.
In my opinion, not having to plug in Butch's favorite Coleman Thomas will help the offensive line a lot

Reactions: livefaith
Agreed. He expects to win every time he walks on the field. That’s what winners do. Let’s see if he can make the transition to HC with a team that was winless in conference play last season. I expect him to and he will only get better once he has his players.

I actually think he jumped and landed funny and twisted his knee...

I did say, in my opinion, but I still believe he doesn't call off the dogs, if the score does get out of hand, he'll play 2s and 3s, but the intensity will remain.........my guess is as good as anyone's.........so, I agree with you.........no one knows how this team will play, I am taking the best case scenario........anyone can can take worse case =]
I hope this is the case as well.

I don’t think Peterson ever wears the Orange and White

I’m more interested in seeing how he handles being behind abd outmatched. Adversity, will he blow a fuse? That’s when we find out if he can coach

I agree, he will need to be able to keep enough composure in losses to keep all the players "bought in."

Tough job being responsible for young athletes. I don't feel too bad for cjp, he being compensated well..

If Peterson makes it in, he can still play in four games and retain his red shirt. This obviously is the best course of action for him but our coaches may have other plans.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
TN was less talented than top tier teams...

Butch will be a good coach, he wasnt at TN.

Dobbs WAS just that good.

Pruitt is a real coach. And is a step above recruiter.

If Peterson makes it in, he can still play in four games and retain his red shirt. This obviously is the best course of action for him but our coaches may have other plans.

Oh yeah forgot about the new redshirt rule.

Probably the last half of the season to give him time to catch up to the others and learn the system.

Emmitt Golden is backing up Shy Tuttle at the NT.

Hey @Vfl2407

Here is my attempt at taking notes this morning, but I'd recommend only using them as a supplement while listening to the show:
Big Orange Sunday - Coach Doug Mathews
Big Orange Sunday

8-5-18

*****Disclaimer: Coach Mathews says anything he says about any of these players is only his educated opinion and
that he hasn't heard it from Coach Pruitt or any staff. His opinions are based on what he's read about Pruitt's system
and what he's seen at practices.

Stay Healthy, Develop Depth, Develop the Rotation for a 12 Game schedule, Players have 15 practices to show
they can be a contributor to this team as a player in the rotation that will see the field this season.

Key Areas of Concern for this Coaching Staff coming in were Offensive and Defensive Linemen.
(Offensive and Defensive linemen win football games in the SEC).

That's why Trey Smith coming back was so important and Brandon Kennedy (C or G), Jahmir Johnson (RT or LT), Ryan Johnson (C or G),
Drew Richmond and however much Chance Hall can do.

(Some of Fulmer's best offensive lines he only played 5, 6, or 7 offensive linemen so we're in good shape.)

Coach Mathews believes we'll have a very good offensive line!

Coach Doug Mathews says he sees a lot of things in this current ("excellent") staff that remind him
of excellent teams that he's been a part of in the past.

I'm placing the call-in questions here in the beginning because Coach Mathews goes into greater detail.

Questions from Callers

Caller Steve asks where Maliek Gray will play.

Coach Mathews said he thinks Coach Pruitt said
that he will be in the secondary eventually but may redshirt this year and remember he can still play 4 games if so.

Caller Brandon asks about Todd Kelly, Jr.

Coach Mathews said he's a big Todd Kelly, Jr. (and Sr.) fan,
but doesn't think he'll start because his body type and playing style is more of a strong safety in a 4-3 or even more suited for
an OLB in a 4-3 but Coach Mathews doesn't see where he fits in Coach Pruitt's system, although he said he may be wrong, but doesn't
think he is. With that said, Coach Mathews said he can see TK playing special teams, that he's a 5th year senior and a strong
leader on this team, and that he may earn a spot in the defensive rotation, but Coach Mathews doesn't know where. He says
his situation is like Chance Hall's in that whatever kind of contribution they can get from him should really help out the team.

Overview

Fall camp started Friday. UT 105 total players. 85 scholarships. 20 preferred walk-ons.
After school starts, there's no limit on the numbers.
Only 1 player, LB JJ Peterson isn't in school yet. There's nothing anyone at UT can do to help him.
Someone somewhere dropped the ball on this. One of your jobs as an assistant coach is not only
to get the young man signed, but your job is also to get him into school.

The staff still feels confident he can get in soon.

Recruiting:

• Savion Williams #1 JUCO DT (In 3-4 a Nose Tackle) 6'4 315 lbs. (Has 3 years of eligibility to play 3 seasons).
  • 3 remaining scholarships for this year of the 21, if all commitments stay committed.
  • Coach Pruitt will probably borrow another 4 from next class's 25.
  • Usually, about 85-90% go where they are committed, but there may be 2 or 3 who may want to go somewhere else or who may leave if the staff decides a different direction.
On Rebuilding

• We are rebuilding. It may well be a 2 -year process.
  • *It's important to look at who you bring in the first two years/recruiting cycles of a rebuild.
  • We're losing 10 seniors this year on defense

Coach Mathews really likes the following about the recruiting so far...

• Of the 18 Commits so far, 11 are on defense: 4 DT/NT, 4 DB, 2 DE, and 1 LB.
  • 7 are on Offense: 3 OL, 2 TE, 1 QB, and 1 WR.

The majority of the commits are big linemen to help us completely restock
our entire defensive line, offensive line, and our tight ends with just one class.

29 New Players Have 15 Practices to Make the Playing Rotation

These new players coming in are going to have 15 practices to show they belong on the team
and can help the team. 12 returning players didn't practice in spring. 17 are new ones coming
in who the staff hasn't seen practice yet, so 29 in all who haven't practiced yet to make the
team. The last 10 practices will already have the scout squad set (mostly preferred walk-ons)
so it's a key time to prove you belong in the playing rotation before the last ten practices start.

These 7 Transfers Should Get Key Looks at Practices:

1. Keller Chryst at QB

2. Jahmir Johnson at Tackle

3. Brandon Kennedy at G and C

4. Dominick Wood-Anderson at TE

(*Huge need for power blocking tight end on the line that he fills because he can do that!)

5. Madre London at RB

6. Emmit Gooden at DT for depth (Shy Tuttle will start)

7. Jordan Allen at OLB (3 years left)

Who Will Make the Rotation This Season

• Coaches probably already know 70-95% who can contribute so coaches need to flesh out the remaining of those final ~ 10%of players who will be in the rotation to play during ballgames.
  • Probably 10 DBs will be in the actual game-playing rotation of players (not players who will only be on the scout team).
  • Strong Side OLB Star Position: Kongbo and Taylor are already known starters here, but we need to see who is the 3rd one because both Jonathan Kongbo and Darrell Taylor can play DE in certain situations.
  • Safety: Who can be the 3rd safety?
  • When classes start, player practice time will be greatly limited compared to now.

So between now and by the time we are about 10-8 practices out before the start of the season, here are the...

"3 Things the Coaches Need to Do Now to Really Make the Most of Available Remaining Practice Time"

1. Find out who can play
2. Teach them what you want them to do
3. Evaluate what you can do with them in the ball game

Questions Coach Mathews has Going into the Season

1. Todd Kelly, Jr.

He's played a lot of football at UT. Has played very well at safety at times.
He's a leader of this football team. Exactly where will he line up, where will he play,
and what will his playing time be?

2. Nigel Warrior

How many positions in the secondary will Nigel Warrior play?

Can play several key positions in the secondary.

Warrior has the potential and talent to move around and play different positions

He can cover man to man, roam at safety, blitz off the corner, and blitz up the middle.

3. Chance Hall

How much can Chance Hall help this offensive line?

He's bigger, stronger, and more mature now than he was.

4. Ju'Quain Blakely - Fullback - Blakely is perfect for this position.

Differences from Last Season on Offense:

(We'll have a full array of different formations.)

1. QB who has the ability to get under center.

2. True FB lead blocker (not HB that comes in motion)
lines up with a tailback behind him to run the football
on short yardage situations.

3. Two Tight Ends with a Fullback and 1 WR formation

and

4. 4 WRs with no TE formation

Defense:

1. Emmit Gooden NT may be backup NT now that Alexis Johnson will start at 5 Technique DE

2. Freshman Defensive Linemen: Kingston Harris, Kurott Garland, and John Mincey

3. Brandon Davis and Trevon Flowers at Safety

4. Bryce Thompson and Kenneth George, Jr. CB

Corner, Nickel, and Safety positions (5 DBs)

Players for the rotation to choose 8 to 10 from:

Marquill Osborne, Baylen Buchanan are 2 starters at CB

Shawn Shamburger at Nickel

Nigel Warrior, Micah Abernathy, and Alontae Taylor (Theo Jackson will eventually play at safety)

Brandon Davis, Trevon Flowers, Bryce Thompson, Kenneth George, Jr.
Maliek Gray is as fine a freshman player as Coach Mathews has seen in a long time and
will probably redshirt. Coach Mathews strongly believes he will be an excellent player in the secondary in the near future.

Other players who should get good looks:

Cedric Tillman at WR
Jeremy Banks at RB (Physical, excellent player)
J.J. Peterson at LB (once he gets enrolled).

Wow, you win the dictation award of the year for all of that.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I don’t understand what he’s saying about Gray. They believe he will be elite, but won’t play this year???

I hope you are right. We've never had a coach that would keep with the game plan when we have a big lead. They always have to put in there prevent / Mustang defense but even worse start running a prevent offense to avoid humiliating the other team. In my opinion the only adjustment you should make is to start playing your second and third stringers but even at that let them play the game plan. You can't develop a new quarterback by just having him come in and hand off the ball 3 straight times and then punt. During Butch's tenure, that conservative philosophy was it directly responsible for our losing to Oklahoma and Florida both in the 2015 season. There were countless instances of that during the Fulmer era the most glaring of which was the SEC Championship game of 2001 which cost us a shot at the NC.
The ole prevent from winning plays ha

I never understood the whole “don’t run up the score and embarrass the other team” mentality. It’s the other teams job to keep you out of the end zone. If they fail, then that’s on them. Obviously you don’t have to run 2pt conversions and onside kicks like a video game, but there’s nothing wrong with scoring with your 2s and 3s in the game. We see where this mentality has gotten us over the last 20 years.
Yep. 3rd team got to practice how to score pts too

Wow, you win the dictation award of the year for all of that.

Hey, I really appreciate you for saying that. I'm not sure what you had in mind, but I'm thinking maybe an orange championship title belt graphic that I could put in my signature or maybe Freak could add some kind of flair below my username on posts? Whatever's appropriate and okay with everyone else is fine by me. (I trust the creative judgment of the powers that be to come up with whatever they think is best.)

All joking aside, I had forgotten the show was even on this morning until I caught your thread here, then figured that trying to type as I listened, would help me more easily retain what I was learning with the eyes, the ears, and the fingers all engaging with the content. I just typed a few short words as abbreviations like placeholders for the longer sections that would remind me of the main points as I listened -- and then filled in the rest of the content as quickly as I could during the commercial breaks from the sponsors. By the time I'd catch up, the commercial was over and the next segment would start so it was an experience that was just as enjoyable and entertaining as it was educational.

After I posted it, I noticed quite a few mistakes, so I edited the ones I caught and then added the embellishments like bold text for the different section headings and bullet points for the list items. Then to finish, I just went back and added all the first names to each player's last name that Coach Mathews mentioned on his show. I really enjoy his insights. What most impressed me about his show this morning, was the way he broke everything down into easy-to-understand tidbits with examples from the actual roster to explain the concepts. I mean, it's one thing to say that we won't know who all makes the rotation until coaches have had more practices to evaluate different players at different positions, but he had the specifics of the 29 players (12 returning and 17 new players) that hadn't practiced yet and then the specified number of (15) practices before the start of the season. Then of the (18) commits, the (11) players on defense with the (7) players on offense, how there are 7 transfers, and how ideally, we could keep 10 DBs in the rotation. It seems basic when you think that's just a two-deep for 5 DB positions (Cornerbacks, Nickelback, and Safeties), but he organizes all the specific details for everything the same way, which in my opinion, really makes it more convenient for the listener to follow than to assume that everyone keeps a running log of the data updated in their memory.

I only listened to this morning's show that one time as I transcribed it, so while I don't think I misplaced anyone's name in the wrong position, there were a couple of lists of names that were just supposed to be suggestions of players to be evaluated for positions that could be mistaken by readers for players already in the rotation at those positions if they just skimmed through it without reading. That kind of thing could be confusing if all someone has is the text, so that's why I made sure to put Coach Mathews' disclaimer up top before diving into the meat of the show, and for that same reason, I added my own suggestion that these notes were only intended to supplement listening to the podcast and in no way should they be used as a substitute. Honestly, I find it reward enough to be part of this community, but thanks again for the award! Go Vols!

I don’t understand what he’s saying about Gray. They believe he will be elite, but won’t play this year???

I think Coach Mathews was saying that he thinks Gray will be redshirted this season if he had to guess, but that based on what he's seen, even if he is redshirted this season, Gray still looks the part of a potentially valuable contributor in upcoming seasons due to his talent and that he will probably still see playing time this season since the new redshirt rule allows him to play four games without burning his shirt. That was my interpretation of what he was saying, but I could have it wrong.

Yes adversity is headed our way. Bama, UGA, Auburn, and WVU are ranked 1,4,10,20, in preseason and likely USCe and UF will be favored to beat the Vols. At least at this juncture so far,no bad injuries. I expect UT to be well prepared for the opener and a lot hinges on this game simply because it will set the tone for the 1st part of the season. The schedule is grueling and this team can only benefit from it either way it goes. I'm certain our coach is well aware of these circumstances and will be straight-shooting about it. I just don't see this team quitting or holding it's head down ever just scrape,scratch, and claw every play. What CJP is ultimately building is at least 2 and likely 3 years away.

Lol you have no idea how Pruitt is going to manage games. Nor do I.
We are ALL hoping that however he manages games, that it’s better than Dooley and CBJ combined. I think thought we all want to win NOW, most will be satisfied with a hardworking product on the field with a few surprise wins.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
Of course Spurrier on the other hand would pull out every trick in the book to try to maximize the point margin. He was on the other side of the spectrum. I was happy to see Nebraska do that to the Gators in the Orange Bowl. But to Spurrier's credit, though, he didn't whine about it which was unusual for him. He seldom passed up a chance to whine
Why we didn't do that? A mix of passive men as coaches and talent inferior to the teams that were doing it. Captain Passive is now running the athletic department.

VN Store

Back