If you heard Doug Mathews this morning.....

I only listened until the first break, but he feels like there is more talent on the team than most think. He noted that the recruiting is aiming at the OL and DL which is necessary to compete in the SEC. JJ Peterson is still not there due to his own shortfalls in completing his high school work.

I believe the same thing, it was abundantly clear that Butch made many many mistakes in letting go most of his original coaches, S&C was no better than a resort spa, and he had no clue how to manage a team from the sideline. Hey, I get excited too, but a HC should maintain his demeanor, his frustration was a direct correlation to his lack of ability to coach in the SEC..........reality sucks. CJP and his Assistant Coaches are SEC tested, I don't see them not having this team prepared for every game. Actually, and this is my opinion, I think Pruitt keeps his foot on the pedal until the end of the game regardless of how big of a lead........he just comes across as that type, if 2s and 3s score.......fine by him and me......I want the other teams to know........we will score, and score, and score some more.....UT will pound you into submission, take your lunch money and girlfriend and I want defensive coordinators to be worried about how you stop UT's offense when you can't guess what their about to play. This is the difference, I was watching the Florida game from last year, the commentators were guess "right" btw what UT was about to do before the snap...........that is B A D.....especially from ESPN announcers.

Last edited:
I only listened until the first break, but he feels like there is more talent on the team than most think. He noted that the recruiting is aiming at the OL and DL which is necessary to compete in the SEC. JJ Peterson is still not there due to his own shortfalls in completing his high school work.

Appreciate it.

I believe the same thing, it was abundantly clear that Butch made many many mistakes in letting go most of his original coaches, S&C was no better than a resort spa, and he had no clue how to manage a team from the sideline. Hey, I get excited too, but a HC should maintain his demeanor, his frustration was a direct correlation to his lack of ability to coach in the SEC..........reality sucks. CJP and his Assistant Coaches are SEC tested, I don't see them not having this team prepared for every game. Actually, and this is my opinion, I think Pruitt keeps his foot on the pedal until the end of the game regardless of how big of a lead........he just comes across as that type, if 2s and 3s score.......fine by him.
I hope you are right. We've never had a coach that would keep with the game plan when we have a big lead. They always have to put in there prevent / Mustang defense but even worse start running a prevent offense to avoid humiliating the other team. In my opinion the only adjustment you should make is to start playing your second and third stringers but even at that let them play the game plan. You can't develop a new quarterback by just having him come in and hand off the ball 3 straight times and then punt. During Butch's tenure, that conservative philosophy was it directly responsible for our losing to Oklahoma and Florida both in the 2015 season. There were countless instances of that during the Fulmer era the most glaring of which was the SEC Championship game of 2001 which cost us a shot at the NC.

Last edited:
I hope you are right. We've never had a coach that would keep with the game plan when we have a big lead. They always have to put in there prevent / Mustang defense but even worse start running a prevent offense to avoid humiliating the other team. In my opinion the only adjustment you should make is to start playing your second and third stringers but even at that let them play the game plan. You can't develop a new quarterback by just having him come in and hand off the ball 3 straight times and then punt

That is why I think he will play just shy of totally embarrassing the other team.......unless its a SEC.......then all bets are off, Pruitt is going to send a message.........new Sheriff in town and if running up the score will get 5*s to UT........that is what we are going to do. No one remembers how nice a guy Butch was, all they remember is.........he was a bad coach.

Willing to bet we don't see Pruitt on his knees crying after any wins that's for sure.

Agreed. He expects to win every time he walks on the field. That’s what winners do. Let’s see if he can make the transition to HC with a team that was winless in conference play last season. I expect him to and he will only get better once he has his players.

That is why I think he will play just shy of totally embarrassing the other team.......unless its a SEC.......then all bets are off, Pruitt is going to send a message.........new Sheriff in town and if running up the score will get 5*s to UT........that is what we are going to do. No one remembers how nice a guy Butch was, all they remember is.........he was a bad coach.
Lol you have no idea how Pruitt is going to manage games. Nor do I.

I hope he's right though. I want to see us FINALLY put inferior opponents away early so our back ups can get in game reps. I got so aggravated under Lyle, watching us play teams clearly inferior to us talent wise to so many close scores. This has plagued us, even going back to the Fulmer era. We have always had trouble truly putting teams away.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Hey @Vfl2407

Here is my attempt at taking notes this morning, but I'd recommend only using them as a supplement while listening to the show:
Big Orange Sunday - Coach Doug Mathews
Big Orange Sunday

08-05-2018 (1,409 Words)

*****Disclaimer: Coach Mathews says anything he says about any of these players is only his educated opinion and
that he hasn't heard it from Coach Pruitt or any staff. His opinions are based on what he's read about Pruitt's system
and what he's seen at practices.

Stay Healthy, Develop Depth, Develop the Rotation for a 12 Game schedule, Players have 15 practices to show
they can be a contributor to this team as a player in the rotation that will see the field this season.

Key Areas of Concern for this Coaching Staff coming in were Offensive and Defensive Linemen.
(Offensive and Defensive linemen win football games in the SEC).

That's why Trey Smith coming back was so important and Brandon Kennedy (C or G), Jahmir Johnson (RT or LT), Ryan Johnson (C or G),
Drew Richmond and however much Chance Hall can do.

(Some of Fulmer's best offensive lines he only played 5, 6, or 7 offensive linemen so we're in good shape.)

Coach Mathews believes we'll have a very good offensive line!

Coach Doug Mathews says he sees a lot of things in this current ("excellent") staff that remind him
of excellent teams that he's been a part of in the past.

I'm placing the call-in questions here in the beginning because Coach Mathews goes into greater detail.

Questions from Callers

Caller Steve asks where Maliek Gray will play.

Coach Mathews said he thinks Coach Pruitt said
that he will be in the secondary eventually but may redshirt this year and remember he can still play 4 games if so.

Caller Brandon asks about Todd Kelly, Jr.

Coach Mathews said he's a big Todd Kelly, Jr. (and Sr.) fan,
but doesn't think he'll start because his body type and playing style is more of a strong safety in a 4-3 or even more suited for
an OLB in a 4-3 but Coach Mathews doesn't see where he fits in Coach Pruitt's system, although he said he may be wrong, but doesn't
think he is. With that said, Coach Mathews said he can see TK playing special teams, that he's a 5th year senior and a strong
leader on this team, and that he may earn a spot in the defensive rotation, but Coach Mathews doesn't know where. He says
his situation is like Chance Hall's in that whatever kind of contribution they can get from him should really help out the team.

Overview

Fall camp started Friday. UT 105 total players. 85 scholarships. 20 preferred walk-ons.
After school starts, there's no limit on the numbers.
Only 1 player, LB JJ Peterson isn't in school yet. There's nothing anyone at UT can do to help him.
Someone somewhere dropped the ball on this. One of your jobs as an assistant coach is not only
to get the young man signed, but your job is also to get him into school.

The staff still feels confident he can get in soon.

Recruiting:

• Savion Williams #1 JUCO DT (In 3-4 a Nose Tackle) 6'4 315 lbs. (Has 3 years of eligibility to play 3 seasons).
  • 3 remaining scholarships for this year of the 21, if all commitments stay committed.
  • Coach Pruitt will probably borrow another 4 from next class's 25.
  • Usually, about 85-90% go where they are committed, but there may be 2 or 3 who may want to go somewhere else or who may leave if the staff decides a different direction.
On Rebuilding

• We are rebuilding. It may well be a 2 -year process.
  • *It's important to look at who you bring in the first two years/recruiting cycles of a rebuild.
  • We're losing 10 seniors this year on defense

Coach Mathews really likes the following about the recruiting so far...

• Of the 18 Commits so far, 11 are on defense: 4 DT/NT, 4 DB, 2 DE, and 1 LB.
  • 7 are on Offense: 3 OL, 2 TE, 1 QB, and 1 WR.

The majority of the commits are big linemen to help us completely restock
our entire defensive line, offensive line, and our tight ends with just one class.

29 New Players Have 15 Practices to Make the Playing Rotation

These new players coming in are going to have 15 practices to show they belong on the team
and can help the team. 12 returning players didn't practice in spring. 17 are new ones coming
in who the staff hasn't seen practice yet, so 29 in all who haven't practiced yet to make the
team. The last 10 practices will already have the scout squad set (mostly preferred walk-ons)
so it's a key time to prove you belong in the playing rotation before the last ten practices start.

These 7 Transfers Should Get Key Looks at Practices:

1. Keller Chryst at QB

2. Jahmir Johnson at Tackle

3. Brandon Kennedy at G and C

4. Dominick Wood-Anderson at TE

(*Huge need for power blocking tight end on the line that he fills because he can do that!)

5. Madre London at RB

6. Emmit Gooden at DT for depth (Shy Tuttle will start)

7. Jordan Allen at OLB (3 years left)

Who Will Make the Rotation This Season

• Coaches probably already know 70-95% who can contribute so coaches need to flesh out the remaining of those final ~ 10%of players who will be in the rotation to play during ballgames.
  • Probably 10 DBs will be in the actual game-playing rotation of players (not players who will only be on the scout team).
  • Strong Side OLB Star Position: Kongbo and Taylor are already known starters here, but we need to see who is the 3rd one because both Jonathan Kongbo and Darrell Taylor can play DE in certain situations.
  • Safety: Who can be the 3rd safety?
  • When classes start, player practice time will be greatly limited compared to now.

So between now and by the time we are about 10-8 practices out before the start of the season, here are the...

"3 Things the Coaches Need to Do Now to Really Make the Most of Available Remaining Practice Time"

1. Find out who can play
2. Teach them what you want them to do
3. Evaluate what you can do with them in the ball game

Questions Coach Mathews has Going into the Season

1. Todd Kelly, Jr.

He's played a lot of football at UT. Has played very well at safety at times.
He's a leader of this football team. Exactly where will he line up, where will he play,
and what will his playing time be?

2. Nigel Warrior

How many positions in the secondary will Nigel Warrior play?

Can play several key positions in the secondary.

Warrior has the potential and talent to move around and play different positions

He can cover man to man, roam at safety, blitz off the corner, and blitz up the middle.

3. Chance Hall

How much can Chance Hall help this offensive line?

He's bigger, stronger, and more mature now than he was.

4. Ju'Quain Blakely - Fullback - Blakely is perfect for this position.

Differences from Last Season on Offense:

(We'll have a full array of different formations.)

1. QB who has the ability to get under center.

2. True FB lead blocker (not HB that comes in motion)
lines up with a tailback behind him to run the football
on short yardage situations.

3. Two Tight Ends with a Fullback and 1 WR formation

and

4. 4 WRs with no TE formation

Defense:

1. Emmit Gooden NT may be backup NT now that Alexis Johnson will start at 5 Technique DE

2. Freshman Defensive Linemen: Kingston Harris, Kurott Garland, and John Mincey

3. Brandon Davis and Trevon Flowers at Safety

4. Bryce Thompson and Kenneth George, Jr. CB

Corner, Nickel, and Safety positions (5 DBs)

Players for the rotation to choose 8 to 10 from:

Marquill Osborne, Baylen Buchanan are 2 starters at CB

Shawn Shamburger at Nickel

Nigel Warrior, Micah Abernathy, and Alontae Taylor (Theo Jackson will eventually play at safety)

Brandon Davis, Trevon Flowers, Bryce Thompson, Kenneth George, Jr.
Maliek Gray is as fine a freshman player as Coach Mathews has seen in a long time and
will probably redshirt. Coach Mathews strongly believes he will be an excellent player in the secondary in the near future.

Other players who should get good looks:

Cedric Tillman at WR
Jeremy Banks at RB (Physical, excellent player)
J.J. Peterson at LB (once he gets enrolled).

Last edited:

I did say, in my opinion, but I still believe he doesn't call off the dogs, if the score does get out of hand, he'll play 2s and 3s, but the intensity will remain.........my guess is as good as anyone's.........so, I agree with you.........no one knows how this team will play, I am taking the best case scenario........anyone can can take worse case =]

I hope you are right. We've never had a coach that would keep with the game plan when we have a big lead. They always have to put in there prevent / Mustang defense but even worse start running a prevent offense to avoid humiliating the other team. In my opinion the only adjustment you should make is to start playing your second and third stringers but even at that let them play the game plan. You can't develop a new quarterback by just having him come in and hand off the ball 3 straight times and then punt. During Butch's tenure, that conservative philosophy was it directly responsible for our losing to Oklahoma and Florida both in the 2015 season. There were countless instances of that during the Fulmer era the most glaring of which was the SEC Championship game of 2001 which cost us a shot at the NC.

It is my position, that when you switch to a "hold on to the lead" philosophy, the lack of aggressive playing takes away momentum and all of sudden you have a Penn State catastrophe (Fiesta Bowl 1992) I think we sat on a lead and Penn State came back and kick UT's @$$ in the last 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepe
I never understood the whole “don’t run up the score and embarrass the other team” mentality. It’s the other teams job to keep you out of the end zone. If they fail, then that’s on them. Obviously you don’t have to run 2pt conversions and onside kicks like a video game, but there’s nothing wrong with scoring with your 2s and 3s in the game. We see where this mentality has gotten us over the last 20 years.

I’m more interested in seeing how he handles being behind abd outmatched. Adversity, will he blow a fuse? That’s when we find out if he can coach
The worst case I remember ever seeing of a coach blowing his cool was when Dooley panicked and threw in Worley to be the quarterback against Alabama (blowing his red shirt) when it became obvious the way the game was going to go.

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
It is my position, that when you switch to a "hold on to the lead" philosophy, the lack of aggressive playing takes away momentum and all of sudden you have a Penn State catastrophe (Fiesta Bowl 1992) I think we sat on a lead and Penn State came back and kick UT's @$$ in the last 3 minutes.
When you call off the dogs, there is not any way you can ever get them back into Attack Mode

Last edited:
Willing to bet we don't see Pruitt on his knees crying after any wins that's for sure.
:eek:
14517558_1148216308606160_1240767079069649751_n.jpg

My point, however, during the game I was afraid his head was going to explode, he talked about players not playing with emotion, but he sure coached like that, when he cut his "loyal asst coaches" the new ones did not bond well with his vision.

I did say, in my opinion, but I still believe he doesn't call off the dogs, if the score does get out of hand, he'll play 2s and 3s, but the intensity will remain.........my guess is as good as anyone's.........so, I agree with you.........no one knows how this team will play, I am taking the best case scenario........anyone can can take worse case =]
Saban is raging at his assistants when a third stringer flubs a play. Rush Propst never lets up during a game and his dad gives off that same vibe. This is the way he knows.

I never understood the whole “don’t run up the score and embarrass the other team” mentality. It’s the other teams job to keep you out of the end zone. If they fail, then that’s on them. Obviously you don’t have to run 2pt conversions and onside kicks like a video game, but there’s nothing wrong with scoring with your 2s and 3s in the game. We see where this mentality has gotten us over the last 20 years.

I remember back in the day, I used to get so jealous when I'd see teams like Oklahoma, Texas, Florida (Spurrier era), Miami, Ohio State, Southern Cal, etc putting up 50 and 60 points on inferior opponents and wonder why we didnt do that.

Reactions: Orange Swagger

VN Store

Back