If Hooker leaves would a transfer QB be a possibility?

I’ll ride with Milton and Jackson. I believe Milton will be pretty good here before he leaves.
Some guys are great practice players while others are gamers. Based on what weve seen of Milton, I don't see a gamer like Dobbs or Clausen. He's reminding more of JG with his performances to date.

Reactions: tbh
Milton has looked better throwing the deep ball in his mop up duties. If he can just keep improving on the deep ball he will be fine. He will prob get the start against Ball St and we can see if he can hit the deep one.
I suspect part of Milton's problem is... for lack of better word... "excitability". The overthrows are probably a mental issue more than mechanics. So, it would make sense that he would look much better in mop-up duty where there's nothing on the line and not much to get excited about.

But put him in with a chance to drive down the field and win the game...? He runs out of bounds after time has expired. Excitable.

I may be wrong, but I won't give him the benefit of the doubt until plenty of proof in pressure-filled, game time situation. If he starts next year, I suspect it will be out of necessity, and the overall results won't be much more favorable.

I suspect part of Milton's problem is... for lack of better word... "excitability". The overthrows are probably a mental issue more than mechanics. So, it would make sense that he would look much better in mop-up duty where there's nothing on the line and not much to get excited about.

But put him in with a chance to drive down the field and win the game...? He runs out of bounds after time has expired. Excitable.

I may be wrong, but I won't give him the benefit of the doubt until plenty of proof in pressure-filled, game time situation. If he starts next year, I suspect it will be out of necessity, and the overall results won't be much more favorable.
You could be right on the money with that.

I think it'd be a huge mistake for HH to leave for the NFL after this year. I have yet to see him look off a receiver or even go to a second read. He stares down his primary receiver and if that doesn't work he takes off. Nor does he have to read defenses in this scheme. There's no audibling at the line of scrimmage. You snap it and go. He needs a ton more work before fitting in the NFL. If he goes this Spring, he'll be lucky if he even makes a roster. He could be on a practice squad for 3 yrs

Also, most of just passes are via screen. He has shown he can pass in this scheme but I believe you are right, he will need work at being a dangerous passer under pressure.

Not knocking HH. He has been crucial for our limited success.

Unfortunately, I think that mental issue is the same as what JG was facing in most of his career here.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
I am kind of with you but we need a experienced good backup or possible starter if Milton gets hurt and the freshman isn't ready. I would take Rattler.
If Rattler can't thrive in Lincoln Riley's offense with all the weapons OU has, what makes you think he would be any better in Heupel's offense? No thanks. Waste of time.

If Rattler can't thrive in Lincoln Riley's offense with all the weapons OU has, what makes you think he would be any better in Heupel's offense? No thanks. Waste of time.
Sometimes a change in scenery is helpful. Who knows.

Just like Hendon Hooker has done better in Heupel's offense some players just click in systems. Plus Rattler was doing good he was a Heisman contender he had a bad game with the number 1 QB in the nation behind him add a bunch of spoiled OU and the freshman got his chance and didn't give it up.

I’ve yet to see ANYONE say he’s as GOOD as Dobbs. While Dobbs has made a couple of rosters, he’s not exactly lighting anything up in the NFL. If Dobbs is a career backup, currently 3rd string, where would that put HH ? He definitely needs another year at UT to have any chance, IMO.

He’s a better passer than Dobbs and I don’t think that’s debatable. Dobbs was clearly a better runner, which is nothing to take for granted in the college game. But since passing is the more important skill in the NFL, I think he has to be a better NFL prospect than Dobbs, even if Dobbs was (to this point) a better college QB.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Absolutely NOT!...JG the sequel...Besides he dumped us to go play for that train wreck in Lincoln anyways....Let him go quietly into the night.

Uhh. He didn’t dump us. Pruitt told Martinez and Penix that he wasn’t interested in their services.

Reactions: sonofUT62
I hope Hooker stays. I like Heupel a whole lot but he whiffed on Joe Milton. Can Milton improve? Sure, but Heupel obviously missed the mark in his first try to transfer a "game ready" QB into Tennessee. And I was as high on Milton and ready to trust Heupel's judgement as anyone on VN.

I like Heupel and he may have had a tiny pool to pick from when he got Milton but he missed the mark.

I think we have to call balls and strikes honestly with coaches. Heupel has done great work with a thin, thin roster. Great work. If Heupel transfers in another "project" QB to start who doesn't pan out for a few early games and gets replaced...... that's not a good look for a "QB centric" head coach.

We're in this for the long haul with Heupel and I hope his next QB transfer shows he's learned from the Milton situation.

I hope Hooker stays. I like Heupel a whole lot but he whiffed on Joe Milton. Can Milton improve? Sure, but Heupel obviously missed the mark in his first try to transfer a "game ready" QB into Tennessee. And I was as high on Milton and ready to trust Heupel's judgement as anyone on VN.

I like Heupel and he may have had a tiny pool to pick from when he got Milton but he missed the mark.

I think we have to call balls and strikes honestly with coaches. Heupel has done great work with a thin, thin roster. Great work. If Heupel transfers in another "project" QB to start who doesn't pan out for a few early games and gets replaced...... that's not a good look for a "QB centric" head coach.

We're in this for the long haul with Heupel and I hope his next QB transfer shows he's learned from the Milton situation.
Remember, that before you can whiff you have got to have a ball going past you. There wasn't that many quality players lining up, especially QBs, that I know of to come thru the portal. You have to give him and his staff their due. They did a great job the first year. For the first time in years and years, I see the players giving it their all for the entire game and that speaks highly of the coaching staff.

Reactions: Tnslim1
I think it'd be a huge mistake for HH to leave for the NFL after this year. I have yet to see him look off a receiver or even go to a second read. He stares down his primary receiver and if that doesn't work he takes off. Nor does he have to read defenses in this scheme. There's no audibling at the line of scrimmage. You snap it and go. He needs a ton more work before fitting in the NFL. If he goes this Spring, he'll be lucky if he even makes a roster. He could be on a practice squad for 3 yrs
I completely agree with your assessment. While Heupel's offense is kinda easy for college QB's to grasp and put up good numbers the drawback is that it does very little to prepare a QB for an NFL future. Since you mentioned it, I don't think I've seen HH read through the progressions either. I hope for his sake he has some trusted advisors who get in his ear. Same applies to Evans, imo.

Uhh. He didn’t dump us. Pruitt told Martinez and Penix that he wasn’t interested in their services.
More like Tyson Helton who was USC's OC didn't attempt to recruit Martinez out of HS and that played a large role in causing AM to flip to Nebraska. Pruitt actually tried to keep AM's committment.

JG was going into his 3rd year at that point. Basically Pruitt dumped Martinez for the legend himself JT Shrout.

Scott Frost took Martinez from Tennessee while the death spiral coaching/AD fiasco was occurring in Knoxville. Pruitt took Shrout as a fall back plan. I’m confident there’s not enough Prozac if Vol fans would have had JG for 4 yrs only to have his “brother from another mother”, AM play here.

What the heck are you talking about? Were you in the Titans huddle? I have never heard anything even remotely close to this regarding the late McNair.

It's not my fault you haven't lived long enough or remember various past articles regarding Steve. Heck of a QB, but like all of us poor humans, he had his faults too. I just mentioned one of them, whether you heard about it or not. So there's that.

If Hooker leaves you pretty much have to take a transfer QB. Even if you are a Milton fan, we can play the whole season with 2 QBs, one being a freshman. Obviously it would be Milton's job to lose at that point since he's been in the program the longest and started here.

VN Store

Back