If BIG Fish Coach is off the table...

It is hard to read the Athletic Administration. I mean are they quiet because they don't have anything to say? Or are they quiet because they are too busy talking to potential big splash hires? Or, are they simply waiting to see what CBJ does....like resign, gets fired, or wins out(LOL)?????

Under NO circumstances can Butch Jones be employed as UTs HC next year. None. You cannot keep a HC that managed to do something not even Doofus couldnt. The Georgia game sealed it. I dont care if Butch inherited the 85 Bears D and the 2013 Broncos O For 1 game and slaughtered Alabama 90-0. He is done at Tennessee.

Les Miles fits the criteria of everything we at Tennessee have been wanting. And he is available.

Mike the"mullet" Gundy. Mr. Offense. :question:

True. But at Tennessee, we aren’t looking for some improvement. This is the University of Tennessee with 6 National Championships and among the best fans, facilities, and tradition in college football. We’re wanting to win SEC Championships and make a run to the National Championship every year.

Mediocre improvement is never acceptable and it isn’t worth a 14 million buyout (or whatever it would be).

We aren't going anywhere but down now under Butch. He has lost the respect of his players and lost support from fans, alumni, boosters and the AD Department. Butch has turned into a constant bad press victim and will only get worse. If we can't land a big fish there are several up and comers that are way better options and could potentially be the next upper level Coach. Nobody knew Saban was gonna be what he is when he left Mich St for LSU, Nor Dabo when he got the Clemson job or even Urban till he did what he did at UF. Hell look at Pete Carroll he wasn't anything special till he got to USC nor was Chip till he got to Oregon. Point is there are great Coach's out there waiting to get a shot with a big time school like TN. But it's irrelevant right now until Gruden accepts or says no thank you. They are definitely going all in on him and gonna make him turn down anything he wants.

Reactions: 1 person
just a difference of opinion. i just don't think Kelly is a fit here. immediate perception of hiring Kelly would be good. i just don't know he's a slam dunk here. he's a slam dunk for somebody, yeah. just not sure it's us.
I agree very much. He can run that in the PAC 10 but not in the SEC.

The big splash guys are instant recruiters off name alone. I don't really think Satin is that great on game day but he has 5 star players standing in line waiting for the phone call. Its really affected the entire, SEC since those guys normally would be spread around the league. At least for now 1 guy is getting 90% of the cards. The only thing that will stop this is another big splash guy who can take players away from him.

I hate Saban but he is a GREAT coach. You can get all the 5 Stars you want but still have to coach them up and develop them. Butch has good players but can't coach them up or develop them. And you can only sign so many there are plenty to spread around everywhere else. Saban is probably the best that's ever coached college football or atleast top 2 or 3. Bear Bryant didn't have the restrictions that they have these days so he just brought in unlimited amounts of talented players. What Saban has done with the parity there is with the recruiting restrictions is beyond incredible. There shouldn't be any dynasty's in this day and age or the success he continues to have year in and out. Doubt it will ever be done again in our lifetime anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
If it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen)...should we keep Butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a National Championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep Butch (crazy I know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the National Championship. Flame away.

Then Mullen and Miles are the first two calls after Gruden and Kelly (Only 2 big fish out there)

I agree very much. He can run that in the PAC 10 but not in the SEC.

I disagree with this. His offense would score points in the SEC and do well. But he would need to hire a good DC so we aren't having to outscore everybody. He could slow it down a little to benefit the Defense so they aren't worn down by the 4th.He would need a QB that could run but also could kill you with his arm. That way they couldn't focus one just one thing. His offense isn't much different than what Clemson, Texas,Ohio St, Texas A'm or other spread offense's run. And those are the ones who have beaten Saban. I wouldn't want him going up temp every play or the whole game but his offense could definitely put up points on just about anybody. Not to mention Oregon isn't going to consistently get the top tier recruits that TN, A'M or other SEC schools could get. But regardless I highly doubt Chip is an option with the problems he left at Oregon. Not a risk we could afford to take I don't think. Don't need anymore negative stuff around the football program.

i'll bite. and say i agree, to a point. i don't think SAban is all that much better x's and o's wise than any other coach.

what Saban does better than anyone is how he manages the roster, and manages the coaches managing the roster.

where he is so much better than everyone else is in preparation and development. he wins the game before it's played in meetings and during practice.

that, and he's pretty good defensive coach that knows how to create match ups to take away what you do best.

edit: and however many #1 recruiting classes combined with all of the above....that's important too.

Saban's teams are almost never surprised by what an opponent does.

I believe that we SHOULD land a big fish this year. No reason to not do that anymore. Plus, We deserve it more than any program with what we’ve been through.

Hopefully this scenario is nothing to worry about because we get our guy. #NoGoogleSearchHires

Our definitions of a "big fish" are different. Hiring a "name" isn't necessarily the same as hiring a coach.

Saban's teams are almost never surprised by what an opponent does.

except when a 60 yard fg is returned for a td, or a ball bounces off a guy's helmet in to a wr in stride for a TD.

but hey, no one's perfect.:eek:lol:

Reactions: 2 people
If it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen)...should we keep Butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a National Championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep Butch (crazy I know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the National Championship. Flame away.

If we can’t get a “big fish” this year, why would we be able to get one next year, with a roster that would likely be worse than what we have now if we keep CBJ?

Then Mullen and Miles are the first two calls after Gruden and Kelly (Only 2 big fish out there)

Miles had the best facilities in the country at LSU. He had a rabid fanbase and boosters with deep pockets willing to pay for the best assistants. He had a state loaded with D1 talent plus the richest region of the richest HS football state right next door... and still underachieved.

He's not a good coach. He's not even a great recruiter... and he is a TERRIBLE manager of the coaching staff.

I like your posts a lot and agree with you most of the time. Please don't type Miles again unless you are talking about distance.

VN Store

Back