If BIG Fish Coach is off the table...

OP I appreciate your sentiment and it seems like your heart is in the right place, but just no. Why? Because this year's set of Vols are playing really bad football. If they were fundamentally sound just catching bad breaks like last year's injuries, then I could see it. This year's team is very soft and often acts like they could care less. We have two All World DTs that can't even get in the backfield against a 0-4 UMass team as an example. Too many other examples to list, just no.

Last edited:
We have to make a "top notch" hire. Otherwise, keep the guy with "protest" and no extension. Spend the off season making contacts. Butch knows he's one and done if he doesn't win the East. Even use it as a renegotiating tool. We'll give you one unwarranted shot to win something IF you reduce the buyout next year. Otherwise Adios.

If we land a top hire this year then take him and pay Jone$ to go. If not, renegotiate Jones and give him one specific goal year (either win the East or beat any 2 of UF, UGA, UA and finish 10-2 w/o winning East). Reward him if he does. If he refuses, then $end him, and settle for a 2nd tier hopeful.

Settling immediately for a 2nd tier hire should not happen. We have a 2nd tier coach now. It CAN get worse. Think 2008!

Agree that CBJ's major task is to get the team to a bowl game this year and win it. As it looks right now it would be the Liberty or Birmingham Bowl.

This will help keep some of the commits who will sogn early.

The other option is to release Jones after the Bama game and appoint Hoke as interim HC. Then before early signing period annnounce the new coach who will come from a list of those who are interested in coaching at UT...best bets are Greg Schiano, Patrino, Favors or Strong.

was listening to gio and jones this morning. here are some quotes on tennessee and the game this weekend.

"has a coach ever been fired at half time?"

"five years at a school is a luxury. it makes zero sense that in year five, you have so many depth issues with the talent they've recruited."

"charlie strong would've loved five years at texas. he got two and a half."

latest

Hey, how about women's soccer! Oh, wait... They just lost to Vandy.

How about women's Volleyball! What a rebound year! Ten & seven and on the rise! Oh, wait... They lost to Bama...

Only chance for Butch to keep his job is if he somehow managed to win out inludig this weekend.

If it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen)...should we keep Butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a National Championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep Butch (crazy I know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the National Championship. Flame away.

As everyone realizes, he isn't fired until he is fired. And as unlikely my trust in him says he will save his job, I hope he gets this team performing and wins out.

There are only a few coaches I would want if Butch goes. But I am not going to get worked up over him staying or going. I am no longer mad about it, just numb.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back