I want to apologize to everyone on this forum

It's a fine school except for their football fans; I don't know if you ever did live here or not, but they're absolutely insufferable. It turns my stomach to think of my son being one of those jackasses. Woof woof woof!

(By any RATIONAL measure, of course, it would be a great choice for him. Thankfully Tech is an even better school, and vastly less loathsome.)

It's a fine school except for their football fans; I don't know if you ever did live here or not, but they're absolutely insufferable. It turns my stomach to think of my son being one of those jackasses. Woof woof woof!

(By any RATIONAL measure, of course, it would be a great choice for him. Thankfully Tech is an even better school, and vastly less loathsome.)

Agreed, and still available through HOPE.

I don't have a child, yet, and am not going to live in Georgia... but I went ahead and started (with my wife.. huge Vol fan as well) getting myself comfortable with them going to UGA, despite my fanhood. I have always liked Tech.

Agreed completely. I don't have kids but we somewhat adopted a child (long, long story) and honestly, if he decided on UGA in two years...I would be happy.

I dislike UGA but fact is...it is a very good educational school right now.

I dislike UGA but fact is...it is a very good educational school right now.

And that's where I saw UTK heading, too. Hope scholarship money, higher admissions standards, the ORNL partnership....they've been talking about elevating UTK into a serious public university for the entire 20 years since I first enrolled, but it's only in the last few years that we've finally seemed to be headed in that direction. And Dr. Crabtree was driving a lot of that. Unfortunately his ouster seems to mean that the least-common-denominator policy has won out, and Tennessee's best students will continue to either have to go out of state or to a private school to get a decent university-level education. I hope those losers at UTC are happy.

I seem to recall that when the lottery was implemented in GA, the HOPE scholarships were pretty significant. Perhaps even covering full tuition, but not books, room & board, activity fees. I know the amounts of the Tennessee HOPE scholarship but I do not know how much of a help it is versus the total cost but it seems like UT has increased tuition several times since the scholarships came online. I cannot say that I actually know anyone who has encouraged their kid to stay in state solely to get the TN HOPE scholarship.

And that's where I saw UTK heading, too. Hope scholarship money, higher admissions standards, the ORNL partnership....they've been talking about elevating UTK into a serious public university for the entire 20 years since I first enrolled, but it's only in the last few years that we've finally seemed to be headed in that direction. And Dr. Crabtree was driving a lot of that. Unfortunately his ouster seems to mean that the least-common-denominator policy has won out, and Tennessee's best students will continue to either have to go out of state or to a private school to get a decent university-level education. I hope those losers at UTC are happy.

Ditto. It seems like it is back to the Don Sundquist school of educational thought. I recall scattered boos for him at our commencement in '98 after he cut funding so bad they had to dismiss professors.

OK, Wow...

Tennessee HOPE offers $4,000 per year for eligible students

Here's what Georgia Hope offers:

"At public colleges, the HOPE Scholarship provides full tuition, approved mandatory fees (such as health and student activity fees), and a $300 per academic year book allowance."

I hope my kid gets good grades so she can get into Tech, or that I make enough money for it not to be an issue!

My wife has decided to go back to school.

Where you might ask?

The University of Georgia. We are both moving to Atlanta so instead of Tech or Emory....she chose Georgia because it has a better graduate department for what she wants to do.

Any husbands ever feel like when they put their foot down, the wife just laughs at you and continues doing whatever she wants to do? Ya, I am getting that treatment. I told her Tennessee or nothing. She...well, didn't see it like that.

Sigh, woman. :banghead2::tease2:
Look at it this way, you will get good tickets to the beatdown of the Dawgs in Athens next year.

UGA has become a pretty freaking good public university, I'm sorry to say. Better than UTK will probably ever be, now that Loren Crabtree has been pushed out.

Grad school is like a job, though. It shouldn't affect her rooting status very much. If she starts rooting for the buttsniffers, though, you'll probably have to put her down. Sorry.
I am not sure I agree with that. UGA is a good school but all the SEC schools are better now than they were in the 90's. UT has some areas where it is better than UGA and vice versa. Hell, even Bammer is supposedly a good school now. School is what the individual makes of it anyway.

I transferred from UT to Ga and enjoyed the experience. I kept my loyalty to the orange and go my degree from UGA.

Education wise they were both State schools. So a good education for the value.

Going to games made feel better because I realized we were not the only ones with unrealistic fans who want to fire the entire staff and go undefeated every year.

My wife has decided to go back to school.

Where you might ask?

The University of Georgia. We are both moving to Atlanta so instead of Tech or Emory....she chose Georgia because it has a better graduate department for what she wants to do.

Any husbands ever feel like when they put their foot down, the wife just laughs at you and continues doing whatever she wants to do? Ya, I am getting that treatment. I told her Tennessee or nothing. She...well, didn't see it like that.

Sigh, woman. :banghead2::tease2:

Dont feel bad Devil...my sister is a UTK grad that is at Georigia as we speak getting her Masters & she picked UGA for the same reason.
What'dya do?

Any husbands ever feel like when they put their foot down, the wife just laughs at you and continues doing whatever she wants to do?
If my wife responds at all to the stomped foot, it's never very positive.

I seem to recall that when the lottery was implemented in GA, the HOPE scholarships were pretty significant. Perhaps even covering full tuition, but not books, room & board, activity fees. I know the amounts of the Tennessee HOPE scholarship but I do not know how much of a help it is versus the total cost but it seems like UT has increased tuition several times since the scholarships came online. I cannot say that I actually know anyone who has encouraged their kid to stay in state solely to get the TN HOPE scholarship.
Hope helps but I'm somewhat surprised UT is falling behind academically so much. I know the Med School in Memphis and Pharmacy School, the Law School, the PHD programs in Psychology, the Engineering Dept.,Education Department,Nursing program, I recall a ton of people trying to get in all these programs. I would like to add my wife has her little state school RN degree and several graduate school people form Vandy are under her and make a lot less. Point being, once you get in your field of study, doesn't matter where you go to school , ultimately in order to move up in your company, you must be able to continue to learn and step up to the challenges or you get passed over. Which, this is the case with some of these Vandy graduates(masters degrees, and it's cost close to 43,000 a year to go to school there now). It's not like, where'd you go to school, it's more like what have you done while employed here at this company.

VN Store

Back