I tried double cheeseburgers from 10 fast-food chains and the tastiest was also the best deal

White Castle? In and Out?? Pal’s???
Dunno - I've never eaten at In N Out or Pal's. White Castle is pretty good.

As for the The Varsity, it's incredibly overrated, not necessarily bad. I thought the food was at a McDonald's/Burger King quality level, which isn't awful (I like McD and BK fine) but McD and BK don't have these passionate cult followings and people who go on and on about how good it is. I went in expecting a CFA-level of quality given how its fans rant and rave about it, or at least Whataburger (which is good but also overrated), and it came well short of that.

Reactions: wmcovol and Carp

As for the The Varsity, it's incredibly overrated, not necessarily bad. I thought the food was at a McDonald's/Burger King quality level, which isn't awful (I like McD and BK fine) but McD and BK don't have these passionate cult followings and people who go on and on about how good it is. I went in expecting a CFA-level of quality given how its fans rant and rave about it, or at least Whataburger (which is good but also overrated), and it came well short of that.
Oh ok, I couldn’t figure out which one you were calling overrated.

Not fast food but if you are in Destin/Sandestin area the Craft Bar has one of the best burgers I've had. Great fries too and off course massive craft beer selection.

You just need to be half drunk when you go to Varsity. In fact, I think that's a prerequisite. They screen at the door for alcohol levels. Well, depends on which door ya go in.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Whataburger is fantastic
but without getting really political, i have to acknowledge that anything beef based is becoming a real „treat yourself“ event. (For me at least)

Thanks to a terribly-miscalculated dance recital, I had CookOut on the way home tonight.

I won't lie: I was quite impressed, especially given the price. The burger meat tasted like actual grilled beef. The fixings are nothing special, but you can only get so much for $4, and I'd much prefer the majority of that go towards the protein.

Two meals plus a snack for my daughter, $15 with tax. They did look at us a little funny at the drive through. I guess they don't get a lot of 40- somethings at 10 p.m. there.

Thanks to a terribly-miscalculated dance recital, I had CookOut on the way home tonight.

I won't lie: I was quite impressed, especially given the price. The burger meat tasted like actual grilled beef. The fixings are nothing special, but you can only get so much for $4, and I'd much prefer the majority of that go towards the protein.

Two meals plus a snack for my daughter, $15 with tax. They did look at us a little funny at the drive through. I guess they don't get a lot of 40- somethings at 10 p.m. there.

Cook Out is underrated IMO. I like them them very well. $5 gets you a cheese burger all the way and double fries and drinks. Unless prices have gone up a bit. It was their $5 meal tray. Burger, 2 sides, drink. The shakes menu is great. And it's a real burger.

The best burger I've had in my 44 years of life came from the Cool Cafe in Franklin TN. It's called the Betty White and it makes all other burgers look like the ones served in your high school cafeteria. 2nd best is the cheese burger off the kids menu at Chuy's.

If we are moving on beyond national/regional chains for the best burger I have ever eaten that did not come off my own grill... I offer up Marzyk's Fine Foods' burger night, Friday nights during the summer in Denver, CO at their two locations

They close down their parking lots and serve charcoal-grilled, locally sourced, never frozen Niman Ranch 1/2 pound cheeseburgers with house-cured bacon and a side of duck-fat fries

If you want rare... they grill it rare

And you can buy local micro brews/bottles of wine from their on-premises liquor store to enjoy on the picnic tables outside during a glorious Rocky Mountain summer evening

With a couple hundred of your closest friends

Reactions: VolFaninFla

I agree. Came out extremely unimpressed with The Varsity. No idea how they got as popular as they are.

Reactions: wmcovol
Best Burger I've had from a chain is most definitely Red Robin. But assuming Red Robin isn't "fast food", I'd go Freddie's Burgers number 1, followed by Shake Shack, Five Guys, In and Out, and Culvers. In and Out is really good, especially to be as cheap as they are, but I thought they were a bit overrated given their reputation. Used to love Streak and Shake, but feel like they've gone downhill the last few years.

No other chain fast food I've tried is really even on the list for me. McDonald's, Wendy's, BK, etc, are all pretty much trash. I'll eat Wendy's occasionally, but it's been awhile.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Best Burger I've had from a chain is most definitely Red Robin. But assuming Red Robin isn't "fast food", I'd go Freddie's Burgers number 1, followed by Shake Shack, Five Guys, In and Out, and Culvers. In and Out is really good, especially to be as cheap as they are, but I thought they were a bit overrated given their reputation. Used to love Streak and Shake, but feel like they've gone downhill the last few years.

No other chain fast food I've tried is really even on the list for me. McDonald's, Wendy's, BK, etc, are all pretty much trash. I'll eat Wendy's occasionally, but it's been awhile.
I agree about Red Robin.
Their tag line “Bottomless Fries and Endless Smiles” is very accurate. Great burgers and great service.
Red Robin also offers free birthday burgers, every 10th item free, & $20.00 credit towards your 6th meal.
I’m going to have to get there this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and Carp
I agree about Red Robin.
Their tag line “Bottomless Fries and Endless Smiles” is very accurate. Great burgers and great service.
Red Robin also offers free birthday burgers, every 10th item free, & $20.00 credit towards your 6th meal.
I’m going to gave get there this week.
Steak fries are better than all other fries.

Best Burger I've had from a chain is most definitely Red Robin.
Wow... I've been to Red Robin on just two occasions and was not impressed, especially for the price. Plus, it was maybe 10 customers or less there both times I've been in.

Reactions: the_todd
Wow... I've been to Red Robin on just two occasions and was not impressed, especially for the price. Plus, it was maybe 10 customers or less there both times I've been in.

Their Southern Charm burger is by far the best burger I've had at a chain restaurant. But again, we're talking chain restaurants here. The best burgers I've had tend to come from hole in wall bars/mom and pop diners.

VN Store

Back