I think WVU made Pitt look a lot better than they are

In the Rams/Buffalo game last night Aaron Donald, the best pass rusher in the NFL and one of the best of all time, couldn't get to Jarrett Allen because Allen was getting the ball out in something ridiculous like 2.8 seconds per pass play. No matter who you are or how good of a pass rush your defense normally has, that's just not enough time to get to a QB. So you throw a ton of underneath stuff and pick a spot to go long. That's what Ball State did against us. We will see if Pitt does the same. Against WVU they tried to stretch the field more often but gave up 5 sacks doing it.

Reactions: VAVol85
I'm going to approach this game with cautious optimism, but I feel really good about our chances! Unfortunately I missed the WVA vs Pitt game but it appears to have been back and forth.
After a win though all bets are off. 19-0 here we come!

Reactions: BreatheUT
Pitt is a team we can't sleep on especially in their house. That being said if we play to our capability we win by 2 or 3 scores. The only way Pitt wins is if we have multiple turnovers.

Last edited:
Slovis has an arm but Lawd is that boy slow in the pocket. He looks like he is wearing concrete shoes. He can sling them but only after taking 10 minutes to set up. The rb Hammond Jr looks pretty good but he won’t win any games by himself.
WVU looks pretty bad. Even with their easy schedule it’s going to be hard to put a good season together. I think they made Pitt look a lot better than they are. Maybe Pitt plays a better game against us than they did WVU but I’m doubtful after scanning through the game.

Vol-pride is fine, but you and I fear a good too many other Vol fans presume way more than you should. This game is going to be a knife fight. The only question is, at what point will either participant sneaks in a gun. and what caliber will it be.
1662756546019.png

As I've been paying attention to the game chatter from the Pitt perspective, they seem to be hyper focused on our zero sacks outing against Ball State. Almost salivating at how Slovis will have a great day if we can't get to him. There are completely missing that we ran a super vanilla defensive front...

Well, yeah, they're missing that. They also seem to have overlooked the final score.

If they're finding encouragement in the performance of an opponent that we beat by 7 TDs -- with our starters sitting out most of the second half -- then more power to 'em. Seems a little bit of an odd place to find comfort, but who am I to judge?

As I've been paying attention to the game chatter from the Pitt perspective, they seem to be hyper focused on our zero sacks outing against Ball State. Almost salivating at how Slovis will have a great day if we can't get to him. There are completely missing that we ran a super vanilla defensive front. No blitzes, no stunts, nothing that would put overwhelming pressure on the QB, and it was seemingly the Ball St. QB's job to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. I'm getting a good feeling that our defense will do it's job and get our lightning fast O the ball back. GBO.

I think the no sacks against Ball St stat is overblown.

That being said, Pitt is a pretty big step up in competition from Ball St.

11 different Vols pressured Ball State a total of 16 times over the course of the game, according to Pro Football Focus. Still, Cardinals quarterback John Paddock completed 27 of his 43 pass attempts for 267 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Vol-pride is fine, but you and I fear a good too many other Vol fans presume way more than you should. This game is going to be a knife fight. The only question is, at what point will either participant sneaks in a gun. and what caliber will it be.
It isn't my pride. It is my eyes and memory. The game last year should have looked a lot like Mizzou or USCe. UT missed opportunities to put Pitt on its heels early and gave Pickett too many chances to get cranked up. If you go back and look at the causes for last year's loss one by one... they all appear to have been resolved.

On the other side, I don't think Pitt is as good this year as last. I think they're essentially the same team minus their two best DB's, 4 of 5 best WR's, and their Heisman caliber QB.... who hurt UT with his legs like Slovis can't.

I sincerely think this is a contest between a team that has gotten better over the last year and one that has stayed the same at very best but likely gotten worse.

I'm going to approach this game with cautious optimism, but I feel really good about our chances! Unfortunately I missed the WVA vs Pitt game but it appears to have been back and forth.

WVU Pitt was one of the harder hitting games I have seen in college in awhile.

TN better be ready to get punched in the mouth early tomorrow and expect a physical game.

It isn't my pride. It is my eyes and memory. The game last year should have looked a lot like Mizzou or USCe. UT missed opportunities to put Pitt on its heels early and gave Pickett too many chances to get cranked up. If you go back and look at the causes for last year's loss one by one... they all appear to have been resolved.
On the other side, I don't think Pitt is as good this year as last. I think they're essentially the same team minus their two best DB's, 4 of 5 best WR's, and their Heisman caliber QB.... who hurt UT with his legs like Slovis can't.
I sincerely think this is a contest between a team that has gotten better over the last year and one that has stayed the same at very best but likely gotten worse.

Well,,,. we have a difference of opinions. But, then, we wouldn't be fans if we didn't. I hope you're right, though I believe you aren't. More happy to drink a 60z cup of crow blood if you are right. AAACCCCKKK! I hear it's very salty.

If this game was played in the middle or towards the end when Pitt may have had a chance to break in and get up to speed all they lost from last year, maybe I would be a bit more concerned. Now your trying to break in a new offense with new players is not a recipe for success against a veteran team in the same system.

WVU Pitt was one of the harder hitting games I have seen in college in awhile.

TN better be ready to get punched in the mouth early tomorrow and expect a physical game.
I remember before the ‘06 championship game, Lee Corso said the Buckeyes were sick of hearing about SEC speed and they were going to “line up, hit ‘em (Florida) in the mouth, line up, hit ‘em in the mouth.”

How’d that turn out?

Reactions: memtownvol
If this game was played in the middle or towards the end when Pitt may have had a chance to break in and get up to speed all they lost from last year, maybe I would be a bit more concerned. Now your trying to break in a new offense with new players is not a recipe for success against a veteran team in the same system.
I would generally agree with you.... But you should know that 17 of 22 starters for Pitt last year have returned. The "all they lost from last year" really only applies to Pickett and Addison. 9 of 11 starters on defense and 8 of 11 starters on offense are back.

I would generally agree with you.... But you should know that 17 of 22 starters for Pitt last year have returned. The "all they lost from last year" really only applies to Pickett and Addison. 9 of 11 starters on defense and 8 of 11 starters on offense are back.
Pitt has veterans on the LOS just like UT. I expect a competitive game but do see the VOLS pulling away in the end.

I’m still nervous about this game. I hope we come out smoking and hang at least 17 on them in the first quarter

How is that contradictory?

WVU didn't look very talented/good either.
I'm saying they barely won the game.

He said, they may play better against us (as if they played bad)
And he also said that WVU made them "look" good.
The wording is contradictory. That's all.

👍🏽Thanks for that info, I thought they lost more than that especially in the receiver room.

I think WVU & Pitt looked very good. It was as well played game as I saw last weekend.

As I've been paying attention to the game chatter from the Pitt perspective, they seem to be hyper focused on our zero sacks outing against Ball State. Almost salivating at how Slovis will have a great day if we can't get to him. There are completely missing that we ran a super vanilla defensive front. No blitzes, no stunts, nothing that would put overwhelming pressure on the QB, and it was seemingly the Ball St. QB's job to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. I'm getting a good feeling that our defense will do it's job and get our lightning fast O the ball back. GBO.

Exactly! But to be fair, it seems the national media is making a big deal out of it too. We supposedly have D-Line concerns because of the 0 sacks. Yet, I feel we got plenty pressures, tipped balls, and affected the QB a bit. Yes, there were some plays he had some time, but as you pointed out, we didn't really do anything exotic or out of the ordinary. Plus, I think Ball State's QB will show he is a pretty good prospect as the season goes on.

I think its very possible that this WV vs Pitt mathcup was overhyped because you have a former USC QB and a former UGA QB going head to head. Its very possible both teams are perceived better than they are.

Slovis was sacked 5x. He is used to having the luxury of playing behind USCs OLine in the Pac 12. Even then, he was mediocre the last 2 seasons. Nothing special. Now that he is throwing behind Pitts OLine, he doesn't have as much time and is eating more sacks.

Here is the concern about that. One reason the Ball State QB was able to get the ball out so quickly was due to our corners giving their WRs a pretty big cushion. The QB was throwing to his 1st read on almost every play b/c the WR was open. Thankfully he was inexperienced and not a great QB so enough of his passes were off target. I need to rewatch the game to see if we were mainly playing man or zone, but whatever it was the defenders were late getting into a good position on way too many plays.
Our corners played soft coverage all night because we didnt need to try anything else.... It was a simple gameplan with simple coverages. Nothing elaborate or really anything we will actually do against Pitt, UF and others. If we do we know the back end of the D isn't trusted. I think they will try to press Pitt's recievers and get home on the ends. Hopefully the DB's can hold up

We blitzed numerous times. I distinctly remember a few.

VN Store

Back