I think WVU made Pitt look a lot better than they are

The_Big_Orange

Right in the Vols!
Slovis has an arm but Lawd is that boy slow in the pocket. He looks like he is wearing concrete shoes. He can sling them but only after taking 10 minutes to set up. The rb Hammond Jr looks pretty good but he won’t win any games by himself.

WVU looks pretty bad. Even with their easy schedule it’s going to be hard to put a good season together. I think they made Pitt look a lot better than they are.

Maybe Pitt plays a better game against us than they did WVU but I’m doubtful after scanning through the game.

Slovis has an arm but Lawd is that boy slow in the pocket. He looks like he is wearing concrete shoes. He can sling them but only after taking 10 minutes to set up. The rb Hammond Jr looks pretty good but he won’t win any games by himself.

WVU looks pretty bad. Even with their easy schedule it’s going to be hard to put a good season together. I think they made Pitt look a lot better than they are.

Maybe Pitt plays a better game against us than they did WVU but I’m doubtful after scanning through the game.

Maybe Pitt plays a better game against us??
But WVU made them look "good"?

That's a bit contradictory.

Pitt barely won that game ....

Aren't the reports saying that Hammond won't play?

It is risky for you and me to say or think this right now... but I think Pitt is back to normal. It happens all the time. An "average" team gets a great player or two in a conference like the ACC was last year. They look great for a year then go back to normal afterwards. Narduzzi was 8-5, 8-5, 5-7, 7-7, 8-5, 6-5, and then suddenly.... 11-3. He had Pickett, a group of good/experienced WR's, and then Addison who made the other WR's better than they actually are.

They lost 4 of their top 5 WR's including Addison. They return a good "possession" type of guy in Wayne. They add Jerrod Means who couldn't cut it at UT before being La Tech's 4th WR. They also add Mumpfield who was the best WR on a really, really bad Akron team.

Narduzzi wasn't happy that he won with the pass so he ditched his OC in favor of a run first guy.

They also lost Krull at TE who made some big plays vs UT last year. He's now a Saint.

If UT fails to bring enough pressure on their QB then it will be a tougher game to win. Many of the predictions I have seen from other posters have us winning by a comfortable margin. Pressure is the key imo. Last year PITT had the edge because Pickett was a better QB compared to Milton/Hooker. Teams that have the better signal caller typically win. I feel good about our offense scoring points and think we have the advantage at QB this time. Our Defense needs to have a solid performance.

Last edited:

It is risky for you and me to say or think this right now... but I think Pitt is back to normal. It happens all the time. An "average" team gets a great player or two in a conference like the ACC was last year. They look great for a year then go back to normal afterwards. Narduzzi was 8-5, 8-5, 5-7, 7-7, 8-5, 6-5, and then suddenly.... 11-3. He had Pickett, a group of good/experienced WR's, and then Addison who made the other WR's better than they actually are.

They lost 4 of their top 5 WR's including Addison. They return a good "possession" type of guy in Wayne. They add Jerrod Means who couldn't cut it at UT before being La Tech's 4th WR. They also add Mumpfield who was the best WR on a really, really bad Akron team.

Narduzzi wasn't happy that he won with the pass so he ditched his OC in favor of a run first guy.

They also lost Krull at TE who made some big plays vs UT last year. He's now a Saint.

Very good points.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2

Not gonna be a close game. Pitt would have a losing season in the SEC or the big 10.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

Also, the fact is that we did not have Byron Young, Cooper Mays, Latrell Bumphus or our #1 RB (Tiyon Evans) in last year's game. And, of course, our best QB didn't play until we had already blown several easy scoring opportunities.

Also, the fact is that we did not have Byron Young, Cooper Mays, Latrell Bumphus or our #1 RB (Tiyon Evans) in last year's game. And, of course, our best QB didn't play until we had already blown several easy scoring opportunities.

Good points. UT had a lot of penalties last year against Pitt too.

As I've been paying attention to the game chatter from the Pitt perspective, they seem to be hyper focused on our zero sacks outing against Ball State. Almost salivating at how Slovis will have a great day if we can't get to him. There are completely missing that we ran a super vanilla defensive front. No blitzes, no stunts, nothing that would put overwhelming pressure on the QB, and it was seemingly the Ball St. QB's job to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. I'm getting a good feeling that our defense will do it's job and get our lightning fast O the ball back. GBO.

As I've been paying attention to the game chatter from the Pitt perspective, they seem to be hyper focused on our zero sacks outing against Ball State. Almost salivating at how Slovis will have a great day if we can't get to him. There are completely missing that we ran a super vanilla defensive front. No blitzes, no stunts, nothing that would put overwhelming pressure on the QB, and it was seemingly the Ball St. QB's job to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. I'm getting a good feeling that our defense will do it's job and get our lightning fast O the ball back. GBO.

It was a misleading stat imo. The Vols got pressure however the QB for Ball St was pretty good at getting rid of the football quickly. The pressure from the first play of the game by the D resulted in an INT. Sacking the QB is great, but I would worry more about points given up by the defense. The sacks will come soon enough. Heck We only gave up one scoring drive the entire game after being up 45 points.

💯

If they want to dink and dunk all game like Ball State did, they are welcome to it. Their drives will stall and we will run them out of the stadium.

And Ball State?

If our defense doesn't step up their game, we will be fortunate to win. Pitt is a hard nosed experienced team that will fight every play to the bitter end. Vols better bring it.
I believe 90% of vol fans agree with me when I say the VOLS will be bringing it. Pitt will have thier hands full. Tn will win by 2 scores or more.

I concur on all points.

Pitt hasn't seen anything like our offense at speed with Hooker driving.

My only concern is our D getting tired if we don't jump on Pitt early and let them hang around.

Reactions: alavolfan
Maybe Pitt plays a better game against us??
But WVU made them look "good"?

That's a bit contradictory.

Pitt barely won that game ....

Pitt won. That always looks good. AND Little may be right if the competition was truly weak.
Not contradictory when Tennessee wins. Especially when we win big.

Here is the concern about that. One reason the Ball State QB was able to get the ball out so quickly was due to our corners giving their WRs a pretty big cushion. The QB was throwing to his 1st read on almost every play b/c the WR was open. Thankfully he was inexperienced and not a great QB so enough of his passes were off target. I need to rewatch the game to see if we were mainly playing man or zone, but whatever it was the defenders were late getting into a good position on way too many plays.

VN Store

Back