I think this is proof positive

You could be right!!
he said in his presser he was going to be searching all weekend, he was going to talk to the players and get their input on who they would like and after the meeting a lot of players were all in, one who’s IMO was wavering due to Pruitt being fired and how the “fan base” was, I say this all has been in the works for at least a week, I believe white was at least #2 if not #1 choice and was already told get ready, which he did, I believe he’s reached out to the main target and other one and put out feelers to see interest level, I believe White wouldn’t come and be so confident if he didn’t already have a plan a or plan b

Reactions: TBvol
he said in his presser he was going to be searching all weekend, he was going to talk to the players and get their input on who they would like and after the meeting a lot of players were all in, one who’s IMO was wavering due to Pruitt being fired and how the “fan base” was, I say this all has been in the works for at least a week, I believe white was at least #2 if not #1 choice and was already told get ready, which he did, I believe he’s reached out to the main target and other one and put out feelers to see interest level, I believe White wouldn’t come and be so confident if he didn’t already have a plan a or plan b
I saw where he was going to talk to the
Football team Thanks for the additional
input,, appreciate it.

TBvol,Stan Huntsman was a great track coach here.Woodruff,on the other hand was not a good AD.Loved his Ole number 7 too much.Kicked a twenty-nine year old ex navy guy who was the second in the world in the javelin off the track team for not shaving his mustache.
Wouldn't shave my mustache either,, had it
50 years.

Reactions: TBvol
You should check out stoerner_fumbles info, he’s legit and been on target this whole time
If StoernerFumbles happens to name our coach before the media breaks it, I’ll dub him in a category above MITBeaver and AtlantaVol here forth forevermore. But I’ve noticed that he likes to add phrases like ‘take this with a grain of salt’ and ‘if it don’t happen, it’s gone off the rails’. Forgive me if I seem sour, but if I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard a so called insider say that stuff on here, I would buy an island. Stuff like this literally harms our reputation. If something doesn’t happen that we are built up for, then either Harlem effed it up, or Charlie effed it up. My God. Nobody ever gives anything other than vague hints that James Randi could do a Netflix documentary about. These people only know anything during coaching searches. We are never going to learn. And don’t give me this “we like any nuggets we can get” BS. Ask me. I can give you the same info since it deliberately lacks any specifics whatsoever.

If you’re playing the game in which you remove the top 25% of the conference, the SEC excluding Bama had bad years too with proportionally more fluff.
Let’s do it on this year- did Bama even have to show up in conference play this year?
No, the original issue we were discussing was Barry Switzer. Switzer coached at Oklahoma. He did not have to play his own team. Like I said most years he just had to beat Nebraska and he was going to the Orange Bowl, at a minimum. From 1962 to 1988, Nebraska and/or Oklahoma won or shared every Big 8 championship. The SEC has NEVER been dominated that long by 2 teams. I remember alot of those seasons, you guys are pissing in the wind trying to tell me I didn't see what I saw.

In 1969 Bob Woodruff passed over Johnny Majors and hired 28 year old Bill Battle. That alone disqualifies him from being "great."

Bill Battle was actually a great coach & still would have kept his job but Johnny won a natty at Pittsburgh so we called him home. Had Johnny not won Bill still keep his job. I knew Bob Woodruff & he told me that

Reactions: peaygolf
If StoernerFumbles happens to name our coach before the media breaks it, I’ll dub him in a category above MITBeaver and AtlantaVol here forth forevermore. But I’ve noticed that he likes to add phrases like ‘take this with a grain of salt’ and ‘if it don’t happen, it’s gone off the rails’. Forgive me if I seem sour, but if I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard a so called insider say that stuff on here, I would buy an island. Stuff like this literally harms our reputation. If something doesn’t happen that we are built up for, then either Harlem effed it up, or Charlie effed it up. My God. Nobody ever gives anything other than vague hints that James Randi could do a Netflix documentary about. These people only know anything during coaching searches. We are never going to learn. And don’t give me this “we like any nuggets we can get” BS. Ask me. I can give you the same info since it deliberately lacks any specifics whatsoever.
Check out his post, he known ahead of time which tells me he knows, he knew about White being hired before it was announced, C’mon man he’s been spot on

Reactions: volkayaker
I just believe that "someone" from that university has already talked to Matt Campbell myself....i don't see by now how anyone wouldn't have

No, the original issue we were discussing was Barry Switzer. Switzer coached at Oklahoma. He did not have to play his own team. Like I said most years he just had to beat Nebraska and he was going to the Orange Bowl, at a minimum. From 1962 to 1988, Nebraska and/or Oklahoma won or shared every Big 8 championship. The SEC has NEVER been dominated that long by 2 teams. I remember alot of those seasons, you guys are pissing in the wind trying to tell me I didn't see what I saw.

More specifically, the issue was whether we should have hired Switzer at the beginning of 1970. Then you kinda dismissed Switzer as only having to beat Nebraska to make the Orange Bowl, and compete for NCs.

In the early 1970s, the Big 8 was THE best conference in college football TOP TO BOTTOM. From 1970-76, the Big 8 typically ranked 1st, sometimes 2nd in Strength of Schedule, SRS, and Winning %. In 1971, Big 8 teams finished 1-2-3 in the final polls. Yes, OU and Nebraska were maybe the top 2 programs in the country and one of those schools always won the Big 8. But Colorado, Mizzou, Oklahoma State, even KU and Iowa State all had some good teams in this period.

I recall Mizzou hammering Bama around 1975 when Bama was ranked #2 in the country, and won the SEC easily. That Mizzou team ended up 6th in the Big 8 behind five Big 8 teams ranked in the Top 20. Let these facts sink in.

The Big 8 got an earlier start than the SEC in recruiting Black athletes.

UTexas was also loaded in the 1970s, and OU played them every year.

I was a little tyke living in Oklahoma in the 1970s, reading the Daily Oklahoman sports page every day. I’ll tell you that OU and Nebraska did dominate the Big 8, but the #3 thru #7 teams were pretty strong too in those days.

It’s incorrect to simply say OU had a one game schedule in the early 1970s. The facts don’t support that position at all.

Also, I think Switzer would have done great at UT in the 1970s if he could have kept us off major sanctions. Would have been a roller coaster watching Switzer and Bear Bryant trying to outrecruit (outcheat) the other.

@Perspective

Reactions: tntar heel
More specifically, the issue was whether we should have hired Switzer at the beginning of 1970. Then you kinda dismissed Switzer as only having to beat Nebraska to make the Orange Bowl, and compete for NCs.

In the early 1970s, the Big 8 was THE best conference in college football TOP TO BOTTOM. From 1970-76, the Big 8 typically ranked 1st, sometimes 2nd in Strength of Schedule, SRS, and Winning %. In 1971, Big 8 teams finished 1-2-3 in the final polls. Yes, OU and Nebraska were maybe the top 2 programs in the country and one of those schools always won the Big 8. But Colorado, Mizzou, Oklahoma State, even KU and Iowa State all had some good teams in this period.

I recall Mizzou hammering Bama around 1975 when Bama was ranked #2 in the country, and won the SEC easily. That Mizzou team ended up 6th in the Big 8 behind five Big 8 teams ranked in the Top 20. Let these facts sink in.

The Big 8 got an earlier start than the SEC in recruiting Black athletes.

UTexas was also loaded in the 1970s, and OU played them every year.

I was a little tyke living in Oklahoma in the 1970s, reading the Daily Oklahoman sports page every day. I’ll tell you that OU and Nebraska did dominate the Big 8, but the #3 thru #7 teams were pretty strong too in those days.

It’s incorrect to simply say OU had a one game schedule in the early 1970s. The facts don’t support that position at all.

Also, I think Switzer would have done great at UT in the 1970s if he could have kept us off major sanctions. Would have been a roller coaster watching Switzer and Bear Bryant trying to outrecruit (outcheat) the other.

@Perspective
I see why you take this personal having grown up as a little tyke in Oklahoma but you are romanticizing this issue because the facts don't support you. From 1962-1988, the SEC had 5 teams in the Top 20 in wins.

The Big 8 in contrast was a clear 2 team league, with Oklahoma and Nebraska in the Top 3 and the next strongest team was Missouri at #37, followed by Oklahoma State at #54, Colorado at #56 (sub .500), Iowa State #82, Kansas #87 and Kansas State #110.

I-A Wins 1962-1988

Also, Texas was not in the Big 8 as you well know and while Oklahoma beating them was significant for natty purposes, it didn't matter for purposes of winning the conference. Like I said, if Oklahoma beat Nebraska, they were generally going to the Orange Bowl, at a minimum.

Even looking closer at your chosen, very narrow 1970-76 time frame, again the SEC had 5 teams in the Top 25 while the Big 8 had Oklahoma and Nebraska in the Top 3 and then #33 Colorado at third. The SEC had a 6th and a 7th team with winning records, Florida (at #39) and Ole Miss (#49) before the Big 8 had a 4th (Oklahoma State # 54), #69 Missouri, #79 Kansas and #79 Iowa State (tie) and #113 Kansas State rounded out the Big 8.

I-A Winning Percentage 1970-1976

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
A big telling point about the "reporters" is that at the press conference of Danny White, they kept asking Donde Plowman about the coaching search. It started with Jimmy Hyams. How many times did she have to say that is "Danny's decision" or "why we hired an AD".

OK I don't know a thing about UT football so this entitles me to pontificate. (After all coach searching has been the only UT excitememt for the past 12 + years!). If we can get one of the aforementioned power 5 coaches to come to TN more power to them. I am throwing my hat in for Tony Elliot. A man of faith who has overcome every obstacle in life, knows football, and has been courted by nearly everyone. Yes he's a coordinator but has earned a degree in industrial engineering, is praised by Swinney. With Steele and Chaney I think he might be the man to navigate through the NCAA and possibly be the next dynastic coach for Tennessee. OK blast away, I have just as much right to be ignorant on this site as anyone. Go Vols!

TBvol,Stan Huntsman was a great track coach here.Woodruff,on the other hand was not a good AD.Loved his Ole number 7 too much.Kicked a twenty-nine year old ex navy guy who was the second in the world in the javelin off the track team for not shaving his mustache.
I agree Stan Huntsman was a great coach and was very outgoing. I think Bill Skinner might be the javelin thrower you referenced.

Reactions: TrapperJohn
You'd rather have the HC from Louisiana or Buffalo? VN would explode!
And they will explode if he hires a coordinator
I am going to sit back and hope he makes a great hire.
Just said what I would like to see.

And even majors wasn’t upset that it happened even tho he knew he was a better coach in a tougher place to recruit
Don't know if there was any truth to it or not, but I heard quite a few people who kept track of Tennessee football at the time, say that Majors had made a comment that he would never coach at Tennessee as long as Bob Woodruff was the AD.

And even majors wasn’t upset that it happened even tho he knew he was a better coach in a tougher place to recruit
That staff that was at Iowa St in 1969 had more future great coaches than you could shake a stick at. Majors and Jimmy Johnson just to name a few. There were alot of great young future stars in the land of corn at that time. GBO!!!!

VN Store

Back