I need and want to say this...

made 2 of the worst decisions ever by a head coach.
He got a 1st rounder for a WR that just hasn't produced and got a ****ing haul for a defensive player who would have taken a ton to resign. Seems like he is making some good decisions to me. If Oakland was in a position to contend, I could see your point, but they aren't and they weren't before these trades. Think about it, they have 3 1st round picks in this draft and 2 next year

He got a 1st rounder for a WR that just hasn't produced and got a ****ing haul for a defensive player who would have taken a ton to resign. Seems like he is making some good decisions to me. If Oakland was in a position to contend, I could see your point, but they aren't and they weren't before these trades. Think about it, they have 3 1st round picks in this draft and 2 next year

True. But he still has to develop the talent. Theyā€™ve had 13 first round picks since 2004 and only 2 have become pro bowlers. Want to guess which 2?

I believe that gruden made a massive mistake by choosing to go to the NFL. The way that league works, all teams will have (at least close to) equal talen. Each year the worst teams get the best pics. That's obviously not the way it works in college. A guy like gruden could've went to a college and gottens some of the best players in the country just based on his celebrity. He could've stacked the deck in his favor. If you have the advantage (that can't be used in the NFL) why not use it? I said all along his best chance for success was to return to college.

Funny thing about Gruden and Dungy. Dungy only made the Super Bowl once with a QB named Manning. Gruden made it twice. Once with qB named Rich Gannon and again with Brad Johnson. Their stats together donā€™t beat Manningā€™s.

Both coaches won 1Super Bowl but Dungy is considered a great coach and Gruden is considered overrated.

They just traded Cooper for another #1 pick. They have 3 this coming yr and 2 the following. They are building to have a top team when they move into Vegas in 2 yrs. Think what you want but it looks, smells and walks like a rebuild job.

My criticism of Pruitt has been 100% of his game day/in game decisions. I realize the talent and leadership void he inherited. Im just not impressed with his ā€œfeel for the gameā€ thus far. Iā€™m not a gruden supporter for Tennessee but itā€™s clear to me they are building for the future and that is Vegas for them.
That wasn't the plan going in though. The plan was to win and Gruden didn't talk much to Mack until right before the trade. He should come up with something with all the picks they have.

I wanted him. I believed he would be the best option and would light a fire in recruiting, put us on the map INSTANTLY and every 5* recruit would want to come play for him. Surely he hadnā€™t forgotten how to coach and his passion to teach, love for the game and ability to bring NFL coaches with him would make him an instant hit.

I believed. The dots connected perfectly and in the age of social media, itā€™s easy for information to flow easier than before. I still believe it was going to happen and Currie even lied to him. (I donā€™t want to argue about that so please donā€™t read into this post in that regard.)

However, all of that being said, Iā€™m glad Gruden isnā€™t our coach. He looks lost on the sideline and has made 2 of the worst decisions ever by a head coach.

He may pan out in the long run for the Raiders but he looks awful to the point I wonder if he regrets going back to the sideline.

Anyway, as an original Grudenite, Iā€™ll always wonder what he wouldā€™ve done at TN a few years ago but that ship has sailed and Iā€™m happy heā€™s in Oakland and not in Knoxville.

I never understood why people thought he was such a great coach. He took somebody elses team, his seond year, and won the Super Bowl then when he had his players and his schemes installed they went from 1st to next to last in their division. There is a reason 27 coaches were hired by NFL teams while he was still looking for a job. By the time he leaves Oakland they'll be the worst team in the NFL.

I wanted him. I believed he would be the best option and would light a fire in recruiting, put us on the map INSTANTLY and every 5* recruit would want to come play for him. Surely he hadnā€™t forgotten how to coach and his passion to teach, love for the game and ability to bring NFL coaches with him would make him an instant hit.

I believed. The dots connected perfectly and in the age of social media, itā€™s easy for information to flow easier than before. I still believe it was going to happen and Currie even lied to him. (I donā€™t want to argue about that so please donā€™t read into this post in that regard.)

However, all of that being said, Iā€™m glad Gruden isnā€™t our coach. He looks lost on the sideline and has made 2 of the worst decisions ever by a head coach.

He may pan out in the long run for the Raiders but he looks awful to the point I wonder if he regrets going back to the sideline.

Anyway, as an original Grudenite, Iā€™ll always wonder what he wouldā€™ve done at TN a few years ago but that ship has sailed and Iā€™m happy heā€™s in Oakland and not in Knoxville.
Welcome to the darkside.

Smokescreen.

jg_smoke.jpg

I was an OG and it took three ADs and the HoH to screw it up. Herman Munster Hart was empowered to get him but was too scared to actually succeed. I was disappointed when Pruitt was hired; I was disappointed in Fulmer.

But for the first time in a decade, a Tennessee Head Coach has made me feel more positive the longer he is on the sideline than the reverse. It's clear we have a football coach. He's got to be an elite recruiter too. I think one thing is for sure though, CJP is going to recruit guys we are going to enjoy watching no matter what. I hope they can also match up against the Alabama legions as well but at worst we're set for a return to the days of Greg Amsler and Mose Phillips - maybe not elite talent but guys who gave their all, won a bunch of games, and were damn fun to watch.

I believe that gruden made a massive mistake by choosing to go to the NFL. The way that league works, all teams will have (at least close to) equal talen. Each year the worst teams get the best pics. That's obviously not the way it works in college. A guy like gruden could've went to a college and gottens some of the best players in the country just based on his celebrity. He could've stacked the deck in his favor. If you have the advantage (that can't be used in the NFL) why not use it? I said all along his best chance for success was to return to college.

You think that Gruden made a massive mistake signing a 10 year 100 million dollar deal? I donā€™t think I need to read any further.

You think that Gruden made a massive mistake signing a 10 year 100 million dollar deal? I donā€™t think I need to read any further.

In terms of his legacy yes. He's already an incredibly rich dude. TN could've done a long term huge contract (assuming the powers that be would've wanted him). Over the course of 10 years he'd have gotten raise after raise. The way works in college. That's not the way they do it in the NFL. This coaches don't get their contracts reworked every off season. So over he course if 10 years the money might not have been that different. Plus TN doesn't have a state income tax so he'd have actually kept a much larger percentage of his pay.
But more than anything else he would've done so much more for his legacy. For one thing very few coaches have won in the NFL and college. And having won in the NFL first he'd have an absolutely massive advantage when it comes to recruiting. I honestly believe he'd have been able to secure top 3-5 recruiting classes every year. Point blank...it would've been easier for him to win in college than the NFL

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
I was an OG and it took three ADs and the HoH to screw it up. Herman Munster Hart was empowered to get him but was too scared to actually succeed. I was disappointed when Pruitt was hired; I was disappointed in Fulmer.

But for the first time in a decade, a Tennessee Head Coach has made me feel more positive the longer he is on the sideline than the reverse. It's clear we have a football coach. He's got to be an elite recruiter too. I think one thing is for sure though, CJP is going to recruit guys we are going to enjoy watching no matter what. I hope they can also match up against the Alabama legions as well but at worst we're set for a return to the days of Greg Amsler and Mose Phillips - maybe not elite talent but guys who gave their all, won a bunch of games, and were damn fun to watch.

I with ya EvH! I remember you! Great times the first go around as well as this last one. Your comments mirror exactly how I feel. Time will tell if Pruitt can handle all the non-football stuff but heā€™s won me over as a coach. I just need to see him pull some major recruits in and away from the Bamaā€™s, Georgiaā€™s, OSUs and LSUs of the world. šŸ‘ŠšŸ¼

VN Store

Back