I bet if you ask Arizona and Virginia…

We're dead. I'm glad we won our first game of the tourney, but I'm not sure I've ever seen such an incomplete Tennessee team going into the second round. My G_d, who can this team count on to score or step up to will a win?

Well, that being said, who does the other team need to double team?

I'm pretty sure that was the point. We average 12 per game WITH Ziegler, but had 12 in a half WITHOUT him.
That was one game. We were averaging 12 without him also until yesterday. That’s why it was still uncharacteristic either way. The TO/gm haven’t changed much at all. They’ve actually stayed the same.

That was one game. We were averaging 12 without him also until yesterday. That’s why it was still uncharacteristic either way. The TO/gm haven’t changed much at all. They’ve actually stayed the same.
I wasn't so much arguing the point as clarifying the previous poster's point; but here's some, admittedly selective, stat evidence that your assurance that it won't happen again might be a little premature:
Out of the last 12 games Zakai played, we had 10 or less turnovers, 11 times, with the one exception being 13 versus A&M, who force 14 per game (so, still below average). The last three games have been 13, 14, and 16.

I wasn't so much arguing the point as clarifying the previous poster's point; but here's some, admittedly selective, stat evidence that your assurance that it won't happen again might be a little premature:
Out of the last 12 games Zakai played, we had 10 or less turnovers, 11 times, with the one exception being 13 versus A&M, who force 14 per game (so, still below average). The last three games have been 13, 14, and 16.
The turnover numbers in your last sentence aren’t correct.

Previous 5 games:
Arkansas: 10 (Zakai only played 3 minutes)
Auburn: 11
Ole Miss: 14
Missouri: 14
Louisiana: 18

To add another layer, Zakai was 15/68 (22%) from 3pt range in the previous 8 games before his injury. I don’t think it was a coincidence we went 3-5 in those games.

Last edited:
The turnover numbers in your last sentence aren’t correct.

Previous 5 games:
Arkansas: 10 (Zakai only played 3 minutes)
Auburn: 11
Ole Miss: 14
Missouri: 14
Louisiana: 18

To add another layer, Zakai was 15/68 (22%) from 3pt range in the previous 8 games before his injury. I don’t think it was a coincidence we went 3-5 in those games.
The stats come from Sports-reference.com.

My stats come from ESPN since the majority of the games have been aired through them.

The March Madness app even says we had 18 against Louisiana 🤷‍♂️
First off, that's better for my point, so thanks.
I found the discrepancy. Sports-reference totals up individual turnovers, database style, so leaves out "team turnovers" (i.e. shot clock violations and the like).

So, the totals starting with the LSU game are:
8, 9, 10, 10, 9, 9, 10, 8, 8, 16 (A&M), 4, 10 (Ark) ...
...(post Zakai injury) 11, 14, 14, 18.

We were handling the ball better, Zakai goes down, we have more turnovers.

I'm only saying that because that was the point we were discussing. I don't think it's the most important stat for this team. (And, fortunately, Duke doesn't generally force a lot of turnovers.) We lost most of those game, often due to our previously impervious defense having lapses.

First off, that's better for my point, so thanks.
I found the discrepancy. Sports-reference totals up individual turnovers, database style, so leaves out "team turnovers" (i.e. shot clock violations and the like).

So, the totals starting with the LSU game are:
8, 9, 10, 10, 9, 9, 10, 8, 8, 16 (A&M), 4, 10 (Ark) ...
...(post Zakai injury) 11, 14, 14, 18.

We were handling the ball better, Zakai goes down, we have more turnovers.

I'm only saying that because that was the point we were discussing. I don't think it's the most important stat for this team. (And, fortunately, Duke doesn't generally force a lot of turnovers.) We lost most of those game, often due to our previously impervious defense having lapses.
How were the turnovers today 😉

VN Store

Back