I bet if you ask Arizona and Virginia…

I'll get reamed for this, but I actually think a player trying to manufacture a jump ball call should be a foul. It's different than an attempt to steal or strip, and the spirit of it is petty imo. It's a judgement call, but so is flopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttocswob
I swear the coaches enjoy the win longer than VolNation (or any other social media Vol group) does.
Survive and advance - enjoy the ride - I am old enough to remember not having a ticket to the dance most years.

I’m happy that we won and again, it’s survive and advance in March. My hope was that we would figure some things out before this game and:
1. limit the turnovers
2. a better offensive scheme to limit droughts
3. improve foul shooting
4. Santi staying out of foul trouble

We had a couple of nice runs but overall, the team didn’t improve; so it is what it is this time of yr. Hopefully we will find a way to play our best game of the yr Saturday Vs Duke.
Point number 4 is the one that has to happen next game. Vescovi is not a true point guard, but he’s the closest we have to one. Gotta have him to have success on offense I feel

Reactions: vol94
Other than very inferior teams early in the season, Tenn basically plays to the level of the competition. Alas, that is why they they have so many close wins and loses this whole season.

Point number 4 is the one that has to happen next game. Vescovi is not a true point guard, but he’s the closest we have to one. Gotta have him to have success on offense I feel

Trust me, I despise Duke but more importantly, I love the Vols! Duke is hot rt now and playing like the best team in the nation.

Also, many close games end in double digit win/loss due to a team fouling at the end of the game.

Reactions: Pennheel
Either team would’ve been tickled pink with a 3 point win today. We did enough to move on. Vols Forever, GO BIG ORANGE!!! 🏀

"You can rationalize anything." That said, beating any tournament team without you point guard, assist & steals leader.......

Yea, should have put them away. That was a good matchup for us, bigger and more athletic across the board.

I think Duke will roll us unless we are exceptional from 3 point land. Hard to be too upset, losing your point guard is a huge deal.
This isn’t the Duke of old. They only hit two more threes than us yesterday. If we don’t uncharacteristically turn the ball over 18 times then that’s a 20 point blowout. Nobody is going to blow us out with the defense we play.

I definitely agree...wins in March, no matter how they come...are all that matter. That said, the way we played against a very average Louisiana team, the insufferable offensive lulls, the missed FTs, the dysfunction and stupid turnovers...I sort of get the frustration. While winning is all that matters, it's not hard to see that sans ZZ, we are a bit of a fish out of water. We have regressed from where we were 3 months ago, and it isn't all ZZ. It's just all that much more exposed by his absence.

I think we can all agree that in the end, we'd happily take 6 straight wins just like last night because the final result is an NCAAT Championship, but I understand the frustration and the lack of positivity and optimism heading into a matchup with Duke.

We have a winner!

Last edited:
Probably but James has got to get his crap together if we have any shot at winning

JJJ is still injured. He’s trying to fight through it, but his knee is not close to 100%. As stated months ago, there isn’t any structural damage but he is still in pain. Add in the ankle sprain and you get an inconsistent player who doesn’t have the lift he once had. Hopefully JJJ and Santi can lead this team tomorrow while our bigs, Phillips and Mashack can score inside and/or midrange jumpers.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
This isn’t the Duke of old. They only hit two more threes than us yesterday. If we don’t uncharacteristically turn the ball over 18 times then that’s a 20 point blowout. Nobody is going to blow us out with the defense we play.

We are missing our one and only true PG, we commit 12 turnovers in a half on Duke and it will be a blowout.

We are missing our one and only true PG, we commit 12 turnovers in a half on Duke and it will be a blowout.
That’s what uncharacteristically means. We average 12 TO per game. Same as Dook. It won’t happen again.

That’s what uncharacteristically means. We average 12 TO per game. Same as Dook. It won’t happen again.

The comment was “no one is going to blow us out with the defense we play”.

What is our average since ZZ got hurt?

I don't want a change at Coach at all, but I am of the opinion that Coach Barnes coaches stagnant offensive teams quite frequently. The fact he had no plan B for PG outside of PG by committee by a couple of Two-guards makes me scratch my head. He is successful and has brought UT some big wins, now he needs to change his approach on offensive philosophy. The team was melting down before ZZ got hurt and I wonder if their legs weren't there at the end of the season. Anyway, I am glad our Vols are still dancing, but I do not think they have the offense to stay with Duke.

I don’t recall his name but one of our asst coaches may be leaving for a head coaching job. If that’s true, then I’d like to see Barnes hire a younger, offensive- minded coach. Of course we need better athletes and shooters, but our half court sets are a bit confusing.

The comment was “no one is going to blow us out with the defense we play”.

What is our average since ZZ got hurt?
Up until yesterday it was 12.25 in 4 games (Arkansas game included since he only played 3 minutes). So not much change. Good try though.

VN Store

Back