I AM SICK AND TIRED OF LOSING TO PURDUE!

Bobby Knight is one of the greatest basketball coaches of our lifetime. True, his personality rubs many the wrong way; however, his results as coach speak for themselves. His methods were in a different time, and while controversial today, were those of legend. Many coaches in an era long past were very military like in demeanor and method. One of the most successful basketball coaches of all time was of a similar mindset, and led her Lady Vols in a tough minded manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dog and Pacer92
Bobby Knight is one of the greatest basketball coaches of our lifetime. True, his personality rubs many the wrong way, however; his results as coach speak for themselves. His methods were in a different time, and while controversial today, were those of legend. Many coaches in an era long past were very military like in demeanor and method. One of the most successful basketball coaches of all time was of a similar mindset, and led her Lady Vols in a tough minded manner.

Sorry, there were a lot of coaches who could use this method of motivation to the benefit of the student athlete and in the desire to win. Knight has mental problems, king complex and deep anger issues. It is not something he could turn off and on when needed. He only got away with it because he could win. Comparing him to Pat Summitt is an insult to Pat.

Sorry, there were a lot of coaches who could use this method of motivation to the benefit of the student athlete and in the desire to win. Knight has mental problems, king complex and deep anger issues. It is not something he could turn off and on when needed. He only got away with it because he could win. Comparing him to Pat Summitt is an insult to Pat.

To each his own. I’m lucky to say that my uncle was an Ohio high school basketball legend himself, and he played ball with Bob Knight. My uncle, being a gentle giant and great big teddy bear, absolutely loved Bob Knight and his Indiana teams. I’m not posting a psychological exam of Knight, I’m just saying that while controversial, most of his former players to this day would run through walls and jump off buildings for that man. It also documented that Pat Summitt sought out Bob Knight for coaching guidance, most notably as coach of U.S. women in the Pan Am games. Say what you want, but Pat was hard on her players, demanded excellence and respect, and was very much old school in her approach.

Reactions: The Dog
“Context” - on a Monday morning sounds really harsh. In a locker room of emotional guys yelling, cussing, fighting to win at halftime of big game - I have heard similar.

Not the kind of language and approach I respond to - I prefer positive approach. But if your lacking confidence and playing timidly - might make you so mad you forget about that and just want to dive in and do something?

Probably can’t get away with that heavy handed motivation any more! New world we live in. Not so bad, just different. More subtle ways to inspire or even evoke anger if thats what coach was trying to do to help his guys?

Reactions: ReadCT
"Sorry Coach Bob, I had to go take a whiz. Could you repeat the game plan on how we're going to beat Purdue in the second half?". I'll give you summary: "I don't give a damn,F,F,F,F,FS,GDS,F,F,S,D,FA,F,F,F,F,S,A,F,F,F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Capital letters indicate a raised voice or yelling)

There's a fine line between being tough and being abusive. By the 90s, Knight had simply become an arrogant bully and his teams underachieved because they were tired of his crap. They had little desire to continue after getting beat down mentally for an entire season. A good coach will demand and challenge their players to achieve to the best of their abilities. Summitt was excellent at this because the players knew she cared about them and wouldn't just break them down constantly. Knight simply became a self-serving jerk who just intimidated, intimidated, intimidated and you can see how he dropped off after '93.

Reactions: IPleadInsanity
Sprinkles are for winners.
I am 70 years old and my High School coach was the winningest HS coach in history when he retired Buck VanHuss, he was tough on us but never abused us, never cussed or swore, but like Pat Summitt all he had to do was give you that look. All the fits Knight threw was about him and not the team or the players

Reactions: IPleadInsanity
Lots of you young folks don’t understand, but this is how we were coached. No participation trophies.

Bob Knight is beloved by his players. Almost all of them

Reactions: Boca Vol
Lots of you young folks don’t understand, but this is how we were coached. No participation trophies.

Bob Knight is beloved by his players. Almost all of them

One has nothing to do with the other. We were coached hard, too.
Chances are you're part of the generation that gave out those trophies.

To each his own. I’m lucky to say that my uncle was an Ohio high school basketball legend himself, and he played ball with Bob Knight. My uncle, being a gentle giant and great big teddy bear, absolutely loved Bob Knight and his Indiana teams. I’m not posting a psychological exam of Knight, I’m just saying that while controversial, most of his former players to this day would run through walls and jump off buildings for that man. It also documented that Pat Summitt sought out Bob Knight for coaching guidance, most notably as coach of U.S. women in the Pan Am games. Say what you want, but Pat was hard on her players, demanded excellence and respect, and was very much old school in her approach.

Some coaches can handle that kind of admiration others form a king complex. This king also had anger issues.

Here is an example: (language alert) Bob Knight

That was a different time back then. Bobby Knight was an ass at times, but he did care about his players and there are stories out there of him helping others. I am sure that he wasn't the only one that went on a profanity laced tirade like that. This one somehow got recorded and leaked out. In today's touchy feely society and smart phones, a coach wouldn't be able to go on a tirade like that today and get by with it.

Barnes should've given this speech earlier this week.

Blue font intended.

I am 70 years old and my High School coach was the winningest HS coach in history when he retired Buck VanHuss, he was tough on us but never abused us, never cussed or swore, but like Pat Summitt all he had to do was give you that look. All the fits Knight threw was about him and not the team or the players
Was he your coach at Hampton or D-B? I knew his 2 sisters, Eula Felty and Iva Lee Roland very well, and met him years ago. He was a good man.

VN Store

Back