I’m going to stay the course….

BelleVol

…with our football staff. I will allow a longer adjustment period despite the results. I will be more tolerant provided maximum effort is being exhibited. I will not support a ‘win immediately or else’ approach. This coaching hire has a winning history. I will support our AD to be the best AD possible because we’ve had some losers here.
I will abide by the above because I’ve seen over the past decade the downward spiral caused by poor coaching hires and trigger-happy decision-makers.

Whew that was hard to type but I’m sticking to it for the sake and future of Vols football.

I wasn't happy with the hire initially and I'm not alone for sure but I'm getting excited about football season again. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst is a safe play in regards to the current state of Tennessee football.

Reactions: #1GatorHater
Sorry, I want to believe but being burned four times in a row has me a little skeptical! When I see results, I will believe. Tennessee administration is a complete dumpster fire until they are not. Go Vols! From my living room not at Neyland!

…with our football staff. I will allow a longer adjustment period despite the results. I will be more tolerant provided maximum effort is being exhibited. I will not support a ‘win immediately or else’ approach. This coaching hire has a winning history. I will support our AD to be the best AD possible because we’ve had some losers here.
I will abide by the above because I’ve seen over the past decade the downward spiral caused by poor coaching hires and trigger-happy decision-makers.

Whew that was hard to type but I’m sticking to it for the sake and future of Vols football.
Please check back in three years and tell us how you really feel.

Whew, that's a relief. We were all afraid you were going to give the thumbs down on this hire. Now we can rest.

Well, I'm the token UCF Alum on this forum, and I've seen all of UCF games (live or on TV) during Heupel's run in Orlando. This I can feel confident in stating. If UT has a middling or better Defense, the Vols will win plenty of games. UCF's defense was pretty solid in Heupel's first 2 seasons, as the Knights won 12 and 10 games respectively. Last year, the Defense had several covid opt-outs and also the 2 best defensive players were dismissed from the team. The D was thin and finished 127th out of 130 in total defense. It was truly absysmal! But last year was an anomaly.

Heupel's strength is Offense, and he/we will put lots of points on the board, no question. I believe the UT Defense will be far better than UCF's last year. Even with the Knight's truly Sucky Defensive production, they still managed 6-4 in the Covid shortened regular season. They also gave Cincinnati a good game, dropping that one 36-33, and definitely scored more points on Cincy than UGA did in their bowl game...but the defense couldn't make the big stop when it had to and that was the difference.

So, even with an average UT defense, IMO Heup should score enough to win a bunch of games...and it should be pretty easy to improve on the 3-7 Pruitt Project.😁

Last edited:
Sorry, I want to believe but being burned four times in a row has me a little skeptical! When I see results, I will believe. Tennessee administration is a complete dumpster fire until they are not. Go Vols! From my living room not at Neyland!
Stop lying , you know good and well after Tn puts 60 on BG you will be saying

giphy.gif

Its in our blood lol

I wasn't happy with the hire initially and I'm not alone for sure but I'm getting excited about football season again. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst is a safe play in regards to the current state of Tennessee football.

IF we can start 3-0 and get some momentum and confidence on our side, who knows how the rest of the season plays out. Don't forget, Florida plays Alabama the weekend we play Tn. Tech. We just might have a pretty good season............

Heupel is our and lets roll. TN could have hired worse. We was never getting a big named coach. Heupel is going to do at TN what Spurrier did at Fla. Bring in a high producing offense and the rest is History.

We could get a 5 year death penalty and some on here would still expect us to hire away the coach who just won a natty the previous year

Reactions: tnvols72
IF we can start 3-0 and get some momentum and confidence on our side, who knows how the rest of the season plays out. Don't forget, Florida plays Alabama the weekend we play Tn. Tech. We just might have a pretty good season............

UF ….. Oh I wanna believe, but …

dont-put-that-evil-on-me-gif.gif

Just woke up. Dreamed last night I was watching the Bama/UT game this year. Admittedly, it was a weird dream and things were going on that made it hard to watch the whole game. Also, it was like there was a round robin type thing where it was really Bama vs LSU's defense and UT's offense.

Anyway, it was like 40-24 Bama at halftime. Later it was 58-30 something. But with 11 to go in the 4th, it was 58-50. All this means nothing, of course, except that I'm apparently ready for some football and subconsciously I expect we will be really good at offense and abysmal at defense, even if we were LSU, lol.

It's fine... everyone is in first place right now. Hope for the best, but expect more of the same. Go Vols anyway. I'm not being sarcastic, we are still fans despite the middle finger the AD has given us the past decade +.

I'm still a bit saddened by the lack of new posting handles that include Heupel's name in some form or another.

Heupel4Heisman
Heupel4thesky
HeupelTrain
HeupelDeezNuts
HeupelAllNight
HeupelAllDay
Heupelbeertabswhilewatchingvolsfootballallday

Reactions: LexVol71
I agree with OP. At this point in the game there are no quick fixes. You could drop Darth Saban in Knoxville tomorrow and he wouldn’t do it over night.

At this point all we can do is dig our heels in and hope to see incremental progress game over game and season over season.

Get past whatever NCAA stuff might fall, let Heup stabilize, and then see what he can build. …..although I personally think we might actually be better on the field sooner than some expect.

Anyways, I think we have to dig in for the long ride here……

Other than cheering for another team, we have no choice but to buckle down and be positive for a while. We can argue all day about placing blame about what has gone wrong over the last 15 years. That will accomplish nothing. We can't keep churning coaches and projecting an unrealistic fan expectations. No top tier coach will come here (as we have witnessed) as long as we are displaying chaos. Nobody knows how Heupel will do in the long term, but we have to return to some level of consistency and stability. Hopefully he can weather the NCAA storm with minimal damage and then start showing progress in the team's play over the next 3 -4 years. If that happens the wins will come.

Reactions: gnm53108
Well, I'm the token UCF Alum on this forum, and I've seen all of UCF games (live or on TV) during Heupel's run in Orlando. This I can feel confident in stating. If UT has a middling or better Defense, the Vols will win plenty of games. UCF's defense was pretty solid in Heupel's first 2 seasons, as the Knights won 12 and 10 games respectively. Last year, the Defense had several covid opt-outs and also the 2 best defensive players were dismissed from the team. The D was thin and finished 127th out of 130 in total defense. It was truly absysmal! But last year was an anomaly.

Heupel's strength is Offense, and he/we will put lots of points on the board, no question. I believe the UT Defense will be far better than UCF's last year. Even with the Knight's truly Sucky Defensive production, they still managed 6-4 in the Covid shortened regular season. They also gave Cincinnati a good game, dropping that one 36-33, and definitely scored more points on Cincy than UGA did in their bowl game...but the defense couldn't make the big stop when it had to and that was the difference.

So, even with an average UT defense, IMO Heup should score enough to win a bunch of games...and it should be pretty easy to improve on the 3-7 Pruitt Project.😁

UCF was 93rd in total defense in 2018, and 95th in 2019.

I wouldn't exactly call that "solid".

The tell-tale sign will be in recruiting. Heupel has got to start bringing in top 10 recruiting classes if we want any chance at competing with the big 3. Granted this won't happen overnight, but he needs to show steady progress on this front.

VN Store

Back