Hypothetical Coaching

I hear you bro, but I gotta say, I've been a member on here for five years, I've seen a lot of idiotic posts, but this is the King. Everybody, and I mean everybody said we are in for a tough year. We have almost nothing, we have a new staff and system, and the east is actually a little better this year viz a viz the west. We have played five games. Of the five we played, two were cupcakes we were supposed to blow out --we did. Of the other three, I think they're 14-1. I might be wrong but I think W. Va is 5-0, Ga is 5-0, and Fla is 4-1, right? And we have a top 10 team next week and then the #1 team in the country coming up. Yeah, let's fire this worthless POS staff and start a!l over cuz after all, we hired a miracle worker, right?
I'm so glad someone else understands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
I think the misery that is taking place now is because of the goals set forth in this search by Fulmer. I am a fan of the pro and I-formation and welcome the change back to smash mouth football. But that is the problem. We hired a coach with a philosophy that did not match the personnel present on campus. We were a finesse spread team with the talent we had at the time of the change. We were at least a top 20 recruiting programWe actually were very competitive in speed but very weak in strength.

Pruitt brought in a S&C coach who wanted to bulk up and strengthen the entire team but totally sacrificed speed at every position. We have looked slow against every team we have played with the exception of ETSU.

IF we had brought in Brohm from Purdue, or like coach, we would have been able to salvage enough of the existing system to win more ball games this year. With the right coach this team could have made it to a bowl this year. Instead we sold out 2018, and probably 2019 & 2020 to change the system to Fulmer's style.

The question is if the fanbase is willing to suffer and survive. Some will and some won't. Not necessarily "fair weather" but what are you able to stomach?

Right now, the stage is being set and the stars are starting to align for a guy like Gary Patterson to make a big move. Wonder if he finally sees that it is impossible to win it all at TCU?

Outside of what happens at Auburn, most of the other majors schools coaching situation is settled for now. For instance, if Meyer retires at the end of season, then Day will take over as head coach at Ohio State.

I would not trade Pruitt for a "proven" head coach. I don't see anyone coming in here and beating WVU or Georgia this year.

We need consistency at the S&C program for more than a year, we need people to learn the same blocking scheme and same offense for more than 1 year same for the D. Finally we need more bodies on OL and DL. None of that would be solved by hiring the hypothetical proven head coach unless he can play center. We would lose another year as "year 1".

I am wanting to see improvement at the end of the year and into next year. We aren't devoid of talent, we are a decent OL and DL away from competing.

Why wouldn't you trade an unproven commodity for a proven one?

You guys that start lapping at every new coaches feet as soon as they don orange are silly and a part of the problem that has led us into hoping we can be as good as Kentucky next year.

CJP may turn into a great coach but the numbers say it isn't likely. There are very few great coaches and most of the ones that are considered great take more than one stop in their HC career for it to happen. SOS is one of the very few that it was obvious as soon as he took over the Duke program he was a difference maker. Saban wasn't a wow hire when he left Michigan State for LSU even though most thought it a pretty good hire. Dabo is an exception but us landing the next Dabo would be a very long shot.

So entertaining the thought that we got so lucky on our 7th choice to pick an up and comer who is going to be great is kind of foolish.

Of course, just MO.

Right now, the stage is being set and the stars are starting to align for a guy like Gary Patterson to make a big move. Wonder if he finally sees that it is impossible to win it all at TCU?

Outside of what happens at Auburn, most of the other majors schools coaching situation is settled for now. For instance, if Meyer retires at the end of season, then Day will take over as head coach at Ohio State.

Why would anyone want Day? Isn't he completely unproven?

Assuming we cut bait with CJP after the 2020 season, will Art Briles be approachable? There's a man who can build a program and roll out one hell of an entertaining product.

Assuming we cut bait with CJP after the 2020 season, will Art Briles be approachable? There's a man who can build a program and roll out one hell of an entertaining product.

Art will be radioactive for a long, long time. Cannot even guess at what his half-life might be.

I'd look at Miles.

Pruitt will be coach through at least 2021 and probably through 2022. I think UT is done cycling through coaches every 3-4 years. Like it or not.

Reactions: hexnut
I think the misery that is taking place now is because of the goals set forth in this search by Fulmer. I am a fan of the pro and I-formation and welcome the change back to smash mouth football. But that is the problem. We hired a coach with a philosophy that did not match the personnel present on campus. We were a finesse spread team with the talent we had at the time of the change. We were at least a top 20 recruiting programWe actually were very competitive in speed but very weak in strength.

Pruitt brought in a S&C coach who wanted to bulk up and strengthen the entire team but totally sacrificed speed at every position. We have looked slow against every team we have played with the exception of ETSU.

IF we had brought in Brohm from Purdue, or like coach, we would have been able to salvage enough of the existing system to win more ball games this year. With the right coach this team could have made it to a bowl this year. Instead we sold out 2018, and probably 2019 & 2020 to change the system to Fulmer's style.

The question is if the fanbase is willing to suffer and survive. Some will and some won't. Not necessarily "fair weather" but what are you able to stomach?

Congrats!!! This could be about the dumbest post I have ever read on this or any other board.....Take a bow! You earned it!!

Reactions: hexnut

VN Store

Back