Hypothetical Coaching

Not that I think Pruitt should go because that's just crazy considering what he walked into following the likes of Lane, Dooley, Butch, winless in the SEC, coaching search debacle, etc, and therefore has YEARS to prove himself before even thinking about making a change but since i was crazy enough to ease the door open on this thread, ill play along.

Depends on who your proven coach is? Any proven coach? No way, that's a death sentence.

Saban, you bet your azz. Even if Pruitt won out this year I'd be all for it. Maybe try to retain him as a DC but yep. I would back the U-Haul into his driveway myself.

What if the powers that be at TN finally came to their senses and decided to hire a proven head coach at the end of the season on the one condition being that the fans were willing to give up on Pruitt?
If he fails to win at least one SEC game at the end of the season, would you be willing to give up on him for a proven head coach?

Are you a fan of the coach, or what is best for the team?

Here we go again! Look. No experienced, successful will touch this job. Schedule is too touch every year. UGA, Florida & Bama
Recruiting is tough in state of Tennessee
Fans will hold the coach accountable.
Those are all minus' for a potential coach here
Aren't you glad it is that way? What if Charlie Strong or Willie Taggart or Muschamp had come here or even Butch Davis?
Strong did bad at Texas. Taggart is bad at FSU. Davis got UNC in trouble with NCAA. Thank God for blessings like that

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
Pruitt is the right guy for the job but he was never going to be a first year success... Not with zero head coaching experience.

Year 1 for us is about beginning roster turnover, installing toughness, and Pruitt learning how to be a successful head coach. I’m cool with that and I do trust Pruitt

Reactions: johnrlansford
Couple of problems with this scenario,,,,
A) If you fire a coach after one year,no "proven" coach will want to come here. I don't care how many "what ifs" or "buts" you can come up with.
B) Fulmer is not firing him after one year. Short of a scandal or something no AD is going to do that.

I think we have three guaranteed losses every season as long as Pruitt is here. We're not going to beat UGA or Bama at their own game with the head start that they both have on us and it looks like UF hit paydirt once again. Pruitt will probably have the same ceiling as Butch only it will take him longer to get there and, maybe, once he does get there it will be sustainable. If all goes well, we're gonna be the new South Carolina in about 3-4 years.

are we there yet...:rolleyes::D...just another day in VN paradise...and, as always was, and always will be...

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Money is not really the issue. We were willing to pay this time and got shut down with Currie at the helm casting the vision. Magical unicorn “can’t miss” coaches aren’t readily available.

Petersen, Urban Meyer, Saban, Gary Patterson (could be a couple missing) are among the few who could have that success, but they aren’t leaving their already successful programs for a rebuild at Tennessee.

I've seen enough in a SHORT TIME to know that Jeremy Pruitt can flat out coach football expecially on defense just by the calls he's making

Reactions: I40flyer
I've seen enough in a SHORT TIME to know that Jeremy Pruitt can flat out coach football expecially on defense just by the calls he's making

What have you seen over the last 10 months that shows that Pruitt "can flat out coach football" as a head coach?

What if the powers that be at TN finally came to their senses and decided to hire a proven head coach at the end of the season on the one condition being that the fans were willing to give up on Pruitt?
If he fails to win at least one SEC game at the end of the season, would you be willing to give up on him for a proven head coach?

To answer your question, no. Who would even consider UT if they fire a highly regarded coach from his first Head coaching job after one season? We have done so poorly from a stability standpoint that we are becoming the definition of insanity!

Last edited:
Reactions: MAUSERWERKE

Quit with the stupid threads.

This is getting a bit tedious. At least wait the full first year before screaming for a new coach. I guess Phil should be concerned that someone feels he was out of his mind?

What proven coach? Do you know how often a head coach with success at a power 5 program leaves to go to another power 5 program? It’s not often. And even when it does happen there’s still no guarantee of success. Look at Bielema. So if you aren’t finding gold in such a manner, you’re left with coaches of non-power 5 schools and coordinators. We tried to get Gundy. We could’ve had Leach a couple of times it seems. The only realistic and somewhat proven power 5 coach I could possibly see would be Cutcliffe. Do you really see him competing with Saban and Smart? My guess is not but it is possible. Jimbo would’ve been good but had zero interest as far as we know. What I want to know is did our admin even try to reach out to him? Us fans think some coaches are untouchable but hopefully the admin doesn’t think that way. We don’t even know for sure that Pruitt is or isn’t the right guy. We need to give him a little time to truly find out. We don’t have a choice at this point. Fire him without cause after 1 year and no coach will come here.

Most people on here spent all of last season bashing the players and their inability to compete at the SEC level. Remember, those are the same players Pruitt is coaching now. If they weren't SEC talent last year, changing a coach isn't going to help. Stop blaming Pruitt and give him time.

Reactions: johnrlansford

This would just dig us into a deeper hole than we're already in.

Pass.

The admin gave the previous two plenty of time, and the team is worse for it. I think Pruitt is of the same pedigree. If he can't pull off an SEC win this season, it would be better in the long run to pull the plug on another failed experimental coach, before things get even worse.
In the extremely unlikely event UT were to do as you suggest, no one outside of an OVC or MAC level coach would even consider the position. Is that really what you want?

Like it or not, Pruitt has a 6 year contract and a huge buyout. AD Fulmer is going to be very patient, and he should be. He knows, and we all should know, that until some stability is imparted to this program, nothing is going to change for the better. It took the Vols a long, tortured time to get this bad. It is not going to magically change in a couple of seasons. The idea that any program can continuously hire and fire its way to success needs to be put to bed. Maybe if you're a Bama, Notre Dame, Texas etc. with huge, deep pockets and built-in, fertile recruiting bases, you can afford to continuously spin the roulette wheel, pay the losses, and then hit the big number and win it all back. UT is not in that category.

We need to get stabilized, improve recruiting, restock the roster, and have a few consecutive 7-9 win seasons. At that point, if the powers that be are still disappointed, there will be more "big-name," "proven" coaches who would be interested in the job. Until then we shouldn't waste the time or money.

Last edited:
With it being said that there's no way it's happening, if your wild hypothetical were possible, you abandon Pruitt immediately and go with the proven head coach.

It makes no sense to let a rookie drive your race car if Jimmie Johnson wants to drive it.

I’m not for sure I could sit down at the keyboard and brain storm my wildest imagination to start a thread that would have less relevance than this stuff. I’m going to believe that this is a practical joke and will be water cooler conversation tomorrow on how much reaction the thread got. After all I do know personally an Arkansas fan who does this type of thing on other fan base websites and thinks it hilarious. THAT IS MY ONLY EXPLANATION !

Reactions: hexnut

Who is paying the buyout for some or all of the current coaches?

VN Store

Back