Hypothetical Coaching

Were in year one of a complete rebuild. From surgeons, coaches, nutritionist, strength n conditioning, ball boys, bagmen, and even a new AD.
The only thing we haven't got new are players. We have 10 or so of Pruitt's recruits on this years team. Next year 35 or so. Year after 60 or so. It's gonna get much better.

Reactions: SugarCC
The majority of posters in this, and every other thread think that is ridiculous. So how do you get that nobody is giving him time.
I didn't say everyone was calling for his head, I was just making a general comment I'm reference to the numerous posts/threads about needing coach X or Coach Z. Yes, it was time for the former staff to go they IMO waisted a lot of talent and we should've at least played in 1 maybe 2 title games during their time here. I know majority understand where this program actually is and know it's gonna take time but some either don't understand or just have unreal expectations.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
I would not trade Pruitt for a "proven" head coach. I don't see anyone coming in here and beating WVU or Georgia this year.

We need consistency at the S&C program for more than a year, we need people to learn the same blocking scheme and same offense for more than 1 year same for the D. Finally we need more bodies on OL and DL. None of that would be solved by hiring the hypothetical proven head coach unless he can play center. We would lose another year as "year 1".

I am wanting to see improvement at the end of the year and into next year. We aren't devoid of talent, we are a decent OL and DL away from competing.

YET. ;D
Come on by around 2 or 3 pm Saturday when the drunk football guru's insist on each making their own thread about how much they hate Pruitt/how they would have called plays. Some real knee slappers.

I hear you bro, but I gotta say, I've been a member on here for five years, I've seen a lot of idiotic posts, but this is the King. Everybody, and I mean everybody said we are in for a tough year. We have almost nothing, we have a new staff and system, and the east is actually a little better this year viz a viz the west. We have played five games. Of the five we played, two were cupcakes we were supposed to blow out --we did. Of the other three, I think they're 14-1. I might be wrong but I think W. Va is 5-0, Ga is 5-0, and Fla is 4-1, right? And we have a top 10 team next week and then the #1 team in the country coming up. Yeah, let's fire this worthless POS staff and start a!l over cuz after all, we hired a miracle worker, right?

What if the powers that be at TN finally came to their senses and decided to hire a proven head coach at the end of the season on the one condition being that the fans were willing to give up on Pruitt?
If he fails to win at least one SEC game at the end of the season, would you be willing to give up on him for a proven head coach?

Are you a fan of the coach, or what is best for the team?
You need to get a different hobby!

I hear you bro, but I gotta say, I've been a member on here for five years, I've seen a lot of idiotic posts, but this is the King. Everybody, and I mean everybody said we are in for a tough year. We have almost nothing, we have a new staff and system, and the east is actually a little better this year viz a viz the west. We have played five games. Of the five we played, two were cupcakes we were supposed to blow out --we did. Of the other three, I think they're 14-1. I might be wrong but I think W. Va is 5-0, Ga is 5-0, and Fla is 4-1, right? And we have a top 10 team next week and then the #1 team in the country coming up. Yeah, let's fire this worthless POS staff and start a!l over cuz after all, we hired a miracle worker, right?

Agreed 100%. We are a bad football team right now coming off a 4-8 season. We just don’t have the jimmies and joes. It’s obvious when you watch top 25 teams play - we are severely lacking in playmakers and it’s going to take time to get guys into the program who can be competitive week-in/week-out in the SEC.

Also I’d like to throw out this bit of intel—
Scott Frost, proven head coach last year took UCF to an undefeated season and beat an SEC heavyweight (Aub) in a bowl game.

This year at Nebraska he is 0-5 Including multiple blowouts and a loss to Troy. He didn’t all of a sudden become a bad coach. In the postgame presser yesterday he said “we’re just not a good football team right now”. For the record they were 4-8 last year with a significantly weaker schedule.

My point with all this is that it’s gonna take TIME to see if CJP is the right guy.. but we have to at least give him a legit opportunity to prove himself. The reality is that expectations of a quick turnaround (especially given a brutal schedule) are just not in the cards. Sucks to say it but it’s gonna be a while before we have a team on the field that is equipped to win on any given Saturday.

How many time did we hear, "Butch inherited a 'dumpster fire...."; therefore, we should give him time to rebuild (often followed by 'brick by brick')???? JP inherited the worst team in Tennessee History, common sense tells me we should be willing to give him (support him) for at least two seasons, remember, we have boy butch FIVE seasons!

How many time did we hear, "Butch inherited a 'dumpster fire...."; therefore, we should give him time to rebuild (often followed by 'brick by brick')???? JP inherited the worst team in Tennessee History, common sense tells me we should be willing to give him (support him) for at least two seasons, remember, we have boy butch FIVE seasons!
The admin gave the previous two plenty of time, and the team is worse for it. I think Pruitt is of the same pedigree. If he can't pull off an SEC win this season, it would be better in the long run to pull the plug on another failed experimental coach, before things get even worse.

I'm not saying he needs or should get that long but look to the north, as in KY, and you will see a school that hung in with a coach.

The admin gave the previous two plenty of time, and the team is worse for it. I think Pruitt is of the same pedigree. If he can't pull off an SEC win this season, it would be better in the long run to pull the plug on another failed experimental coach, before things get even worse.

Whether I agree or disagree with you is irrelevant. Only a fool thinks Phil will fire Pruitt after one season. I'm not saying you can't talk about, that's stupid, but it is stupider to seriously talk as if its a possibility. Its not. Lol.

Reactions: I40flyer
What if the powers that be at TN finally came to their senses and decided to hire a proven head coach at the end of the season on the one condition being that the fans were willing to give up on Pruitt?
If he fails to win at least one SEC game at the end of the season, would you be willing to give up on him for a proven head coach?

We got a good coach, just let him coach.

No because the general thinking is that you must let a coach stay long enough to have his own players on the field. He is doing about as well with this bunch as Butch did. At least he is beating the non conference foes by a good margin. Butch had us struggling to beat UMass.

This could be the most laughable post of the week.

Reactions: hexnut

Why don't we pull your plug.

Think about how difficult is was to hire a coach the last time. Who do you see lining up after we run off a guy in one year? And don’t say “just throw the money at him” because you’re still paying the Jones buyout, and you tacked on another buyout. You hire a big name coach under contract and you pay his buyout too. Look what it took to get Jimbo to go to A&M. Who are you going to go get that isn’t an “experiment?”

The world is not like Xbox.

Reactions: VolinMC

NO. I am a fan of the team, and that's why I say no. Even if we did as you suggest, and hired Saban or Belichick, people (I refuse to call you all "Fans") like you would want to fire them 30 seconds into the first game, if not the introductory press conference.

Grow up. It takes hard work to succeed in life. The reason we are where we are at as a program is from too many people wanting instant success and gratification without being willing to put in the work to get there.

Rome wasn't built in a day, or even a decade.

VN Store

Back