Hypothetical Coaching

Just another generic "I demand instant gratification because _______" post. Nothing to see here.
Because rooting for a winner is better then throwing your lot in life with a loser post! Sort of sucks being a 20 point underdog to a bad Auburn team. Does it not?

One of the all time silliest threads I've seen on here yet.

YET. ;D
Come on by around 2 or 3 pm Saturday when the drunk football guru's insist on each making their own thread about how much they hate Pruitt/how they would have called plays. Some real knee slappers.

Reactions: DonDiego
People should get out in the sunshine more and stop thinking of silly things to post. Maybe if they took some moonshine to the sunshine it would give them better ideas

Reactions: feathersax
Because rooting for a winner is better then throwing your lot in life with a loser post! Sort of sucks being a 20 point underdog to a bad Auburn team. Does it not?
Well I've had what?....20 years to adjust?, so rather than be pissy for a twenty first year I choose to be optimistic... call me crazy. My point was rather than post in one of the other 50 threads about how much Pruitt sucks or "This is how I would have done it", people still insist upon making yet another one. We get it. Really we do. Swear on me mum. We've been underdogs to literally everyone except Kentucky and Vandy for almost a decade.

I will state that giving Pruitt time to bring in his recruits for a few years is the best for my team. He inherited players who did not win a single SEC game.

Mullen's situation is so different how? Oh yeah they won an SEC game last year...over the winless in SEC play team on a Hail Mary last second play. Yet he doesnt seem to need HIS players. That arguement doesnt really fly.

I'm not for firing Pruitt after a couple of years but all this talk of how great he is or is going to be is an little embarassing based on results to this point. It looks like we are going to be in trouble for a few years and then hopefully the admin actually hire someone who has proven he can win at a Power 5 school.

Reactions: Thorp32
What if the powers that be at TN finally came to their senses and decided to hire a proven head coach at the end of the season on the one condition being that the fans were willing to give up on Pruitt?
If he fails to win at least one SEC game at the end of the season, would you be willing to give up on him for a proven head coach?

Are you a fan of the coach, or what is best for the team?

“The powers that be” are the root problem. There is no reason to fire Pruitt when we already know Jimmy Haslam and his minions will be involved in the next hire.

Mullen's situation is so different how? Oh yeah they won an SEC game last year...over the winless in SEC play team on a Hail Mary last second play. Yet he doesnt seem to need HIS players. That arguement doesnt really fly.

I'm not for firing Pruitt after a couple of years but all this talk of how great he is or is going to be is an little embarassing based on results to this point. It looks like we are going to be in trouble for a few years and then hopefully the admin actually hire someone who has proven he can win at a Power 5 school.

I mean in all honesty it's quite different. Mullen inherited guys who were actually conditioned properly, taught correct fundamentals, and they retained most of their best players save a few. If you need proof just go watch any game Alvin Kamara is in this year. Or Derek Barnett. Or Cam Sutton. Or Preston Williams . Or Jalen Hurd. Or literally anyone else who transfered. The moment they went onto teams with already solidly built fundamentals and coaching etc, they soared. Butch ruined us. If we only needed to fix a couple people we would be fine, but this is what they mean when they say it's a culture change. He's teaching them how to not be pus.......pansies.

Last edited:
“The powers that be” are the root problem. There is no reason to fire Pruitt when we already know Jimmy Haslam and his minions will be involved in the next hire.
Sad but true. I try not to think about it. He pulled some politician magic and is head of the board now if i'm not mistaken AND has a direct impact on any and all hires from here on out...like our new interim President he wholeheartedly endorsed. Can't control the Athletic department? Go even higher. One only has to look at the Browns to know this guy is just an old man with an ego on a power trip.

WOW really! Big difference, add up all the 5 and 4 star recruits from the state of Florida and then from the state of Tennessee. I'll give you a hint, it ain't close. Since Spurrier, UF is set to get top notch players every year. We have to reach into fertile recruiting grounds to get players to come here. They ain't coming unless it's worth coming too. The dools, kiftard, and Lyapalosa, experience is OVER! We lost a generation of good players, we can only hope that Pruitt rights the ship. If he doesn't get 3-4 years to get us a SEC title, we may never be able to hire a good HC, regardless of how much money we throw at them!

Reactions: tbones0711
What if the powers that be at TN finally came to their senses and decided to hire a proven head coach at the end of the season on the one condition being that the fans were willing to give up on Pruitt?
If he fails to win at least one SEC game at the end of the season, would you
No and I’m LosingFaith in your sanity.
Not a chance. In the first place no one could win with this team. Secondly what "proven coach" in his
right mind would take the job knowing how fickle long his job would last if he did not win immediately. I don't imagine the trust factor would be too great.
Grandpa

We are paying Butch $7 million over the next five years, and Pruitt signed a 6-year contract.

He could go 0-8 in SEC play for the next two seasons after this one, and still be here for his fourth year.

Oh yeah you forgot a couple of differences between Mullen and Pruitts sitiations. Mullen inherited a team 1 year removed from back to back East titles. JM went 16-8 in conference play. Beat a top 5 team and several top 25 teams. But hey, its the exact same situation right? Sheesh.

One thing that needs to go is the myth that Tennessee has the ability to get a proven head coach in this environment. The last three coaching searches have gone very very deep into the pool before finding someone willing to take the risk of coaching an unstable team. We keep telling ourselves that this is just a matter of willingness to pay but that has been proven not to be the issue. Until we establish some stability and an ability to win top-25 coaches aren’t coming here absent Jimbo money.

One thing that needs to go is the myth that Tennessee has the ability to get a proven head coach in this environment. The last three coaching searches have gone very very deep into the pool before finding someone willing to take the risk of coaching an unstable team. We keep telling ourselves that this is just a matter of willingness to pay but that has been proven not to be the issue. Until we establish some stability and an ability to win top-25 coaches aren’t coming here absent Jimbo money.

Spot on. Many want to think that this is the TN right after Fulmer was fired. Its not. No big time coach wanted to come here. As a matter of fact, no big time coach has wanted the TN job since Patterson in 2009.

Reactions: VolinMC
WOW really! Big difference, add up all the 5 and 4 star recruits from the state of Florida and then from the state of Tennessee. I'll give you a hint, it ain't close. Since Spurrier, UF is set to get top notch players every year. We have to reach into fertile recruiting grounds to get players to come here. They ain't coming unless it's worth coming too. The dools, kiftard, and Lyapalosa, experience is OVER! We lost a generation of good players, we can only hope that Pruitt rights the ship. If he doesn't get 3-4 years to get us a SEC title, we may never be able to hire a good HC, regardless of how much money we throw at them!

Yea, and UT has to battle Memphis High and Candy for the best in state talent. Meanwhile the gaters have to battle FSU and UM for talent, so obviously all of the Florida talent pours into Gainesville every year.

I hope all the pumpers are right and our 7th choice for a coach turns out to be the next Robert Neyland but based on current ROI projections that isn't close to being the case.

You guys can blame CBJ all you want but what i see is a roster with enough talent (and according to conventional wisdom, shi@#y coaching) to take the gainesville team to the last second last year. A team that was in just as much disarray as UT but managed to embarassed us at home this year with their own new coach who doesn't seem to need HIS players to win.

The argument for a coach needing HIS players to win is a joke and is nothing more than water-carrying for the new folks on sideline.

I sincerely pray that I"m wrong and CJP and staff just need HIS players to start beating the bammers. However when they can't compete with any decent team on the schedule with the current guys on the sideline, I'm going to doubt that the right hire was made once again.

Reactions: Rockyjr
We are paying Butch $7 million over the next five years, and Pruitt signed a 6-year contract.

He could go 0-8 in SEC play for the next two seasons after this one, and still be here for his fourth year.
If Pruitt doesn't win an SEC game by year 3 he won't be here for year 4, however I don't think we're going to have to worry about that.

VN Store

Back