Hyams claims AJ Branisel not long with this program

I wouldn't be surprised if more attrition is coming. I'm looking directly at someone like Josh Malone and if Jennings truly steps up and Preston Williams steps in and lives up to his hype, I could easily see Malone feeling like the odd man out and wanting to transfer.

wat?

Is the TE coach running off these scholarship players or what. Somebody needs to ask Butch what's going on.

"Unusual" to whom? People looking for something?

According to RisetotheTop, only the '14 class should be held against Jones. According to the linked analysis just above, that class had the highest attrition rate among the SEC's '14 classes. UT also had the highest attrition rate in their '13 class. That isn't "looking for something". It is just being willing to "see" something that's right in front of your face.

Again, you can't continue to have the highest attrition rates in the SEC then turn around and constantly use the reason/excuse that your roster is too young and thin to win.

People have claimed that many of these players just couldn't compete. Are the recruiting sites that wrong, that often? Seven of 11 4* players gone from the '14 class isn't a concern to you?

Reactions: 1 person
People have claimed that many of these players just couldn't compete. Are the recruiting sites that wrong, that often? Seven of 11 4* players gone from the '14 class isn't a concern to you?

Certainly concerns me. Not the ideal way to build depth IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
The attrition isn't something to be concerned about except for the fact that it usually means a team stays fairly young.
That's problem number one. Jones has said that this is a "jr/sr" dominated conference and that it is difficult to win playing underclassmen.

The main reason I wouldn't be concerned is I haven't seen a case yet where someone bad mouthed Tennessee or Coach Jones on their way out the door.
Not very loudly but Scott and Hendrix did. I think Ferguson did some but he had a bad attitude to start with.

All in all, it's usually a good sign depending on what the circumstances are. It means (a) a coach is probably being honest with a kid about the playing time he will get and (b) the program is on solid enough footing that a coach isn't desperate enough to keep a player that no longer wants to be around.
That may be the case in some.... but the coaches specifically said they didn't want to lose Hendrix.

I don't think any of the players who left are any that are going to affect the win-loss record.
Jones would seem to disagree. His given reasons for not winning more games all relate to the youth, inexperience, depth, development, and talent of the roster. So either losing lots of players with potential is OK or it is a problem. Most here have parroted the mantra that UT is too young and thin to have high expectations... but then say it is OK when lots of players leave.

They can't have it both ways.

Something tells me Sawyers and Payne werent really 4 star players when they had to actually get on the field. Neither one of those guys were going to play at Tennessee

Certainly concerns me. Not the ideal way to build depth IMO.

There is a difference between depth and good depth. We had depth on our OL last year, but it was not good depth. Those that left could have contributed and provided good depth, but they chose to leave. I don't see it as a problem. When good depth leaves, then that is a problem. If you run down all of those that left, are those the players that you want on your team? Are those that you want in the foxhole with you?

Something tells me Sawyers and Payne werent really 4 star players when they had to actually get on the field. Neither one of those guys were going to play at Tennessee

I can buy that for some players. It is hard to buy it for 9 of the 16 or so 4* players Jones signed in the first two classes. That would seem to be especially true when Jones has relished in the rankings more than many other coaches. He hasn't dismissed their importance.

On a different note, Jones chose and signed those guys so at some point in time he thought they were legit talents.

I can buy that for some players. It is hard to buy it for 9 of the 16 or so 4* players Jones signed in the first two classes. That would seem to be especially true when Jones has relished in the rankings more than many other coaches. He hasn't dismissed their importance.

On a different note, Jones chose and signed those guys so at some point in time he thought they were legit talents.

and it was reported that they werent happy with payne when he actually hit the field. Was henderson going to overtake anybody that we have? the only ones i wish we still had were Wharton, Paulk, Hendrix and Helm.

Hendrix and Scott weren't part of that first class. Maybe it works out eventually but he can't just continue to make excuses about being young and thin while losing players with potential. That's been the real "moaning"... and most have bought it.

So far 7 of the 11 four star players from the first "good" class in '14 are gone for various reasons. Paulk a 3* in a position of need is gone. Nine of the 22 signed in '13 including 2 of the 5 four star players.

If either of those classes were re-scored now, they wouldn't look so great.

When you are trying to build depth and talent and are using those things as reasons you cannot win more games.... then you can't keep having that level of attrition.

And.... it sure seems a lot of the same posters who say this recruit or that one will be a "beast", "starter from day one", "better than the current starter", etc.... will turn around and say the player was no big loss when they leave to program.

Every program loses players. Jones just seems to be losing a high % and especially among the highly rated players.

Yet?....the athleticism and ferocity we're seeing in camp belies this "loss of talent" that you're bemoaning. We reevaluate recruiting classes and the players like Moseley and Evan Berry more than compensate for the flight of the malcontents. Talent shines through on this roster. In your spare moments away from self flogging try to appreciate that.

Reactions: 3 people
Yet?....the athleticism and ferocity we're seeing in camp belies this "loss of talent" that you're bemoaning. We reevaluate recruiting classes and the players like Moseley and Evan Berry more than compensate for the flight of the malcontents. Talent shines through on this roster. In your spare moments away from self flogging try to appreciate that.

bingo! theres not one person out there at practice saying this team is lagging talent. In fact, they are saying this is as athletic a UT team in years.

There is a difference between depth and good depth. We had depth on our OL last year, but it was not good depth. Those that left could have contributed and provided good depth, but they chose to leave. I don't see it as a problem. When good depth leaves, then that is a problem. If you run down all of those that left, are those the players that you want on your team? Are those that you want in the foxhole with you?

Some probably weren't. This would be a good argument if UT's attrition was in the middle of the pack. It doesn't work when Jones' first two classes are both the worst in attrition in the conference at a time when the roster needs to be built up.

When any organization has high attrition, it is a problem and one that is taken very seriously. You can't just pretend it doesn't exist. I would HOPE that Jones is looking for common causes and correcting them whether it is choosing to sign the wrong players or things that happen once they've been signed.

Some probably weren't. This would be a good argument if UT's attrition was in the middle of the pack. It doesn't work when Jones' first two classes are both the worst in attrition in the conference at a time when the roster needs to be built up.

When any organization has high attrition, it is a problem and one that is taken very seriously. You can't just pretend it doesn't exist. I would HOPE that Jones is looking for common causes and correcting them whether it is choosing to sign the wrong players or things that happen once they've been signed.

Cue "I don't believe you" gif. :)

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

I guess you need to tell Jones to stop complaining about depth, experience, youth, and talent then.

All I've done is take HIS "bemoaning" and then noted that losing so many players doesn't help fix the problem. I NEVER said it wasn't a "fixable" problem... I just recognized that it IS a problem.

I guess you need to tell Jones to stop complaining about depth, experience, youth, and talent then.

All I've done is take HIS "bemoaning" and then noted that losing so many players doesn't help fix the problem. I NEVER said it wasn't a "fixable" problem... I just recognized that it IS a problem.

Your argument is having depth, just any depth will do. CBJ is requiring depth where there is NO drop off in talent. I can walk on and provide OL depth, but there WILL be a drop off in talent after a few series. I mean I can give it a good go for a while, but I'm 40 and pudgy around the mid section. I can get in the way and hold to get the ball carrier time...that's about it.

Your argument is having depth, just any depth will do. CBJ is requiring depth where there is NO drop off in talent. I can walk on and provide OL depth, but there WILL be a drop off in talent after a few series. I mean I can give it a good go for a while, but I'm 40 and pudgy around the mid section. I can get in the way and hold to get the ball carrier time...that's about it.

How many years of eligibility do you have?

Doesn't seem to be a problem...you're projecting your dissatisfaction and no one cares.

It's called coach speak...Butch is a devoted believer in it...I'll tell him you don't want him to do it anymore...expect immediate results. :wink2:

Reactions: 5 people

I don't see your point. We have lost Helm and Bransiel and now stuck with two projects and walk ons after EW

There was a thread in the "around the ncaa" forum where I mentioned that Florida has had as many 5* busts as 5* players that panned out.

The thing is the 5* guys who panned out were guys like Tim Tebow, Brandon Spikes, Carlos Dunlap, Percy Harvin, etc.

When you have other guys who are still around and produce, you don't wring your hands over the guys who were busts. People recognize the busts now, because Florida is losing games.

So, like everything else, when you win it won't matter. When you lose, people will point to this issue among other things.

Bottom line is this is the best Tennessee roster since Fulmer was head coach, particularly on defense.

Hard to cry about attrition when, the talent on the roster is at a "high" compared to past years.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back